BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-03-2024, 11:53 PM   #1
K44OLO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640i

Comfort Access Issue/Limp Mode with Several Fault Codes [Fixed]

Hi All,

Thought to share a little experience.

My 2013 640i F06 (tuned) was always showing battery low message every morning (for several months) and it would disable some functions like folding mirrors till the car warms up or get started.

This continued for months as I ignored the issue. One morning, I got in the car and I was greeted with Christmas tree lights on the dashboard and iDrive. This included drivetrain, brake system, airbag and a few more. Power steering also disabled. Car was stuck in comfort mode. Speedometer stopped working. Only the rev meter and temperature meter were working. Fuel gauge went bonkers. I noticed the fuel consumption was different. I guess the car lost its efficiency functions. The gear, handbrakes and Parking sensors developed minds of their own - playing up as they wished.

I changed the battery (new 105Ah from stealership) and registered it with ISTA D but the problem didn’t go away.

I visited independent workshops, the took £50 for diagnosis and said car isn’t communicating with DSC module then offered several weeks away option of looking into it. The car is my daily, couldn’t wait - needed a quick fix. Called stealership and agreed to recover it to them. They looked at it within 72hrs (£160 per hr) and said DSC fuse keeps blowing that it must be the car door handles. That was the weirdest diagnosis ever - in my opinion. Told them to fix it but they gave unknown day of getting my car back. Being my daily, I couldn’t wait again.

So I collected the car and went on the internet - forums, YouTube, etc. Found out the comfort entry door handle thing is a big issue with these models - F series.

I disabled the comfort entry door handles by removing the connector at the door handle itself. See how here:https://youtu.be/UlqvXA-SgcY?si=u7S3w3RQKKGTf57q

Then I put new 5amp DSC fuse, pressed the start button. Instantly, all fault codes related to limp mode disappeared. Power steering returned, car regained full power. Only fault code that remained is that of the door handles. I have driven for 24hrs now, fuse is intact and hasn’t blown.

Then I ordered new set of comfort entry door handles.

Will update as soon as I install them.
Appreciate 1
f13gva0.00
      05-06-2024, 11:41 AM   #2
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 1
K44OLO1.50