BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

05-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Homelink Mirror Retrofit - Which Mirror?

I am working on doing a Homelink mirror retrofit on my car but encountered an issue regarding compatibility. My car is a base M3 with an alarm, ZCP, and DCT - no navigation, comfort access, etc. The current mirror is auto-dimming and has the low-profile alarm LED (51-16-9-134-440). The first mirror I ordered (51 16 9 174-309) had Homelink but the alarm LED was the large bulbous type and did not match the existing mirror. Not liking the large LED, I returned that mirror and am now trying to figure out which mirror has auto-dim, Homelink, and the low-profile LED.

During my research I came across part no. 51-16-9-192-335, which purportedly has the low-profile LED (as well as compass but that's not a problem). What I noticed from Realoem.com is that this mirror does not have any indication for the "remote control," "RC," or 315 Mhz. My understanding is that the mirror in our cars has the receiver for the signal from the key fob, and operates at 315 Mhz (in the U.S.). I believe this receiver is what is designated as the remote control/RC.

Has anyone done a retrofit with this specific mirror and had everything function properly?

Alternately, does anyone have the part number for a auto-dim, Homelink mirror that can be retrofitted AND which has the low-profile LED?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
firecapt
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

mirror

I've done this retro on my 2011 X5 going from stock non dimmer, no compass, big LED nose and no homelink.
I bought the 51 16 9192335 for $200 and it was plug and play, literally plugged it in and it worked perfect.
As it turns out I sold the X5 but switched the mirror out before it left the garage, wanna buy it for what I paid? $200

images upload

image free hosting

upload a gif
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just posting to confirm what Firecapt stated. The -335 mirror works just fine and has the grey low-profile LED. From my research it turns out that the "remote control" or "RC" designation is meant to work with the key fob, but on convertibles. The receiver on sedans is loaced in one of the pillars and therefore there is no need for the remote control in the mirror. This was an easy plug and play DIY.
Appreciate 0