BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
THEONE BOSS
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3sedan/e60m5

Exclamation question about disclosure when buying a used car

hi all i bought a used e60 m5 with low miles had it for a year and was told it had paint work done just to cover up some scratches then i went to carmax to have it appraised and they sad it had frame damage, then i went to the dealer i bought it form and he give a clean carfax sheet but it never list's when it was repainted it had all other info but that so now i'm thinking there trying to cover it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

if it's a reputable dealer, I'm surprised

If it's a no-name dealer, I'm not.

Since they never personally owned the car, and prly bought it from an auction, they don't know' the car was in an accident before etc.

if a car is fixed outside of insurance, it won't be on a carfax report, which is why you can't rely on them. you need to have your people check the car first prior to purchase
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
That's unfortunate. The dealership should have told you the entire history on that car. Could it be possible that the accident was never reported to carfax and they fixed it somewhere themselves?

I don't know how much you know about your car, but the frame is aluminum. So is your entire suspension. If it was in a front end accident and the sub frame was damaged, the proper way to fix it is to replace the sub frame. If everything was replaced, your car should be good as new.

I figured that would give you peace of mind just in case if you were worried that your car wasn't fixed properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
THEONE BOSS
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3sedan/e60m5

the dealer gave me a carfax that showed common things like service dates, but it didn't have the date on when it was repainted,but the sale man told me it was just for scratches. now i just did a autocheck and it has a report of frame damage and that it was auctioned with unibody damage,so now i feel as if there trying to pull one on me by selling me the car with frame damage
Appreciate 0