BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Ivan Ho
Captain Fantastic
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330ci

BMW xDrive Moutain Challenge - Kaymer vs. Spengler

BMW M550d xDrive versus BMW 6 Series Coupé xDrive.

BMW works driver Spengler and Major-winner Kaymer provided emphatic proof of their character in Kühtai in the Austrian Tyrol at the end of December. The BMW xDrive Mountain Challenge saw the Canadian and the German go head to head on winding mountain roads and in a golf match on the 2,447-metre high Pirchkogel. It all came down to a somewhat alien discipline for both of them: sledging -- and in extremely challenging winter conditions, with icy temperatures of minus 15 degrees Celsius.
In the driving duel on ice and snow-covered roads, the two protagonists could depend on the four-wheel drive expertise of their two vehicles: the BMW M550d xDrive and BMW 6 Series Coupé xDrive.
The two successful sportsmen were on their own when it came to the rather peculiar golf match, however. The first tee took them to new heights: Kaymer and Spengler teed up in a cable car and drove their opening shots through the open door into the snowy nothingness. Not a shot for those with weak nerves, but tailor-made for the two comeback champions.
The pair ended the challenge by hurtling back down into the valley on sledges. Having negotiated heavy snow drifts, they both crossed the finish line neck and neck, giving a spectacular day the thrilling finale it deserved.
"Martin was a tough opponent, but that much was already clear before we started I am an enthusiastic golfer myself, and obviously followed the action at the Ryder Cup closely as he sank that putt under such immense pressure," said Spengler. "He showed nerves of steel again today. It was great to compete against Martin in the BMW xDrive Mountain Challenge and to overcome all these challenges."
Kaymer said: "Today I learned exactly why Bruno Spengler won the DTM. He is simply impossible to shake off and fights right down to the last second. The duel with him was tougher than a lot of what I usually experience on the golf course. This kind of competition between sportsmen is great fun. It was a fantastic day."
Appreciate 0