BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Arrow BIMMERPOST First Drive: 6 Series Gran Coupe Review

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BIMMERPOST First Drive: 6 Series Gran Coupe Review
COMMENTS

Press Conference from Our International Press Drive

BMW invited us to test the all-new 6 Series Gran Coupe (internally dubbed F06) [full info thread] which is set to complement the already available Coupe (F13) and Cabrio (F12) versions. Here’s our review after two days and roughly 160 miles.

Name:  6GCr_1.jpg
Views: 24557
Size:  62.6 KB

Let’s begin with some facts and figures. At 197.1 inches, the Gran Coupe is about four inches longer than the F13 Coupe, and only 2.7 inches shorter than the F01 7 Series. To allow the additional doors and rear space, the wheelbase of the Gran Coupe has been increased by 4.5 inches over the Coupe, making for 116.9 inches in total. The luggage compartment has a capacity of 460 litres and can accommodate three golf bags. Split-down rear seats allow for a maximum capacity of 1265 litres. BMW expects to sell 30 percent of all Gran Coupes in the US, likely being the biggest market.

The Gran Coupe is supposed to combine the sportiness of a 6 Series with the luxury of a 7 Series. In terms of ride, the sportiness succeeded. There's a choice of 5 different driving modes - namely Sport+, Sport, Comfort, Comfort+ and Eco Pro. Comfort and Comfort+ are fairly compliant when it comes to lesser roads, but a 5 or a 7 series still have the edge over the Gran Coupe in this regard. My personal favorite was Sport mode as it left enough comfort for my needs yet provided good damping for a spirited drive and also improved steering. Speaking of which, the electric steering does a good job considering the needs this car is made for. Don't expect too much feedback, however. We expect the M6 Gran Coupe (due early next year) to be the only choice for those lusting for ultimate steering feedback.

Name:  6GCr_2.jpg
Views: 24459
Size:  29.1 KB

BMW chose Sicily, Italy to present this car, and some journalists thought that was a bold move. Bold because roads in Sicily are narrow and winding; roads not well fitted for a large 4-door coupe to be driven spiritedly on... unless it’s the 6 series Gran Coupe (6GC). To put things into perspective: After the first press drives last November, I happened to drive an F30 328i again just last week. Minus the 4-door layout, the F30 and 6GC are as contrary to each other as it gets – or so I was inclined to believe up until then. The 6GC's much bigger, longer, and heavier body was something I thought I would be unpleasantly aware during the entire driving experience.

But I was wrong. It didn’t take much longer than just a few minutes for me to forget about all of that. Equipped with BMW’s latest suspension and drivetrain bells and whistles (EDC, Dynamic Drive, Adaptive Drive, Integral Active Steering including rear axle steering), this car is able to negotiate corners in a physics-defying way (considering its size and heft). This isn’t to say that the 6GC can be as agile, nimble and tossable as a 3 series, because it will never be. But, it does an excellent job in making you forget just that. There are some instances where you get a friendly reminder of its size, however. As if narrow and winding wasn’t enough, Sicilian roads also have a thing for sand. With a thin layer on top, said roads’ grip levels can drop to somewhere between wet and icy. Entering a corner a bit too fast – due to said sand and/or your own enthusiasm - results in solid understeer as the car's mass can’t easily be brought back in line once it’s lost. But, it's nothing an experienced driver couldn't remedy with a stab of the throttle.

Name:  6GCr_4.jpg
Views: 24814
Size:  50.4 KB

Speaking of power, BMW offers two engine choices for now. The 3.0-litre N55 inline-6 in the 640i is well-known and produces 320 hp and 450 Nm of torque between 1300 and 4500 rpm. There’s not much left to say about this engine that hasn't already been said. It’s amazing, it’s a legend, and it’s a good fit to any car in the BMW lineup. The other engine is an updated version of BMW’s 4.4-litre N63 V8 for the 650i Gran Coupe. It inherits Valvetronic from the M5/M6 S63Tu engine and now also works with BMW’s efficient dynamics features such as Auto Start Stop. Power has increased to 450 hp and torque is now at 650 Nm between 2000 and 4500 rpm. BMW didn’t let us drive the 650i version yet as it won't hit the market until Autumn 2012.

Europe also gets the 640d Gran Coupe which is powered by the latest version of the marvelous 3.0-litre N57 inline-6 Diesel engine. I’m not one for diesel engines in general, but what this 313hp unit is capable of makes it tough to come up with things not to like about diesel engines. Given plenty of torque, it’s powerful enough yet returned roughly 32 mpg during my test drive that wasn’t meant to save fuel. There’s no word on US availability of diesel variants yet, but maybe BMW will be less tight-lipped during the 6GC US press drives in two weeks.

All engines are coupled to the known 8-speed automatic, and it’s a perfect fit for the car and any engine. It’s smooth and fast. It offers two automatic and one manual mode including proper shift paddles (left side paddle shifts down, right side paddle shifts up – just as it should be). As usual for this transmission, Auto Start Stop doesn’t engage when the shift mode is set to Sport. So that’s another way to switch off this feature in case you don’t like it. There’s nothing to hate about it as it’s flawless, however.

Name:  6GCr_3.jpg
Views: 24594
Size:  42.9 KB

The saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder doesn’t hold true for the beautiful 6 series Gran Coupe's design. The design language – while similar to the other 6 series variants – works best for the 6GC. It may be the longer and sleeker appearance that makes it stand out in such a beautiful way. In addition, frameless doors add a nice and unique 'coupe' touch. I have yet to meet a person that didn’t fall in love with this design in an instant. And yes, that includes the friendly Italian police officer who said “Complimenti!” about the car, moments after he had pulled me over, but that’s another story.

The interior is similar to the other 6 series models including the most prominent incorporation of a cockpit wrapping around the driver. As you’d expect from a 6 series, there’s plenty of room while retaining that nice cozy feeling of being a drivers’ car with all buttons and switches laid right in front or besides you. The center console features two large cup holders for bottles (or even smaller pimp goblets if that’s your thing). There’s enough room for two passengers in the rear, comfortably. The third rear seat in the middle allows a fifth person to join enjoying the car – in theory. Interior quality is the best I’ve experienced in a current BMW model. Compared to my personal favorite in this class, the Porsche Panamera, I can’t decide which car feels more luxurious inside. They’re both top notch with plenty of leather and wood wrapped around you (if you ticked all the right boxes in the options list). All cars in Sicily had an all-leather Individual combination of Amaro Brown and Opal White which is exclusive to the Gran Coupe. It might have been the dazzling interior trim called Ash Grain White which made this particular interior look a bit over the top. Then again, combined with the also exclusive Frozen Bronze exterior color you can have a highly unique color combination. I just wouldn’t choose it personally. The other colors you see in the photos below is Moonstone Metallic and Citrin Black Metallic, both Individual colors.

As usual, there’s a plethora of options and electronic features available. Two things worth mentioning in particular are the Head-Up Display and the Bang&Olufsen High-End Surround Sound System. The full color Head-Up display is a must have. Once you’re used to getting things like speed and navigation info projected on your windscreen there’s no way back. Having the opportunity for the first time, I gave the Bang&Olufsen sound system a good try during the test drive. BMW provided a pre-selected track list of mostly Italian songs. The sound was good but not overwhelming – until Adele’s “Don’t you remember” came up on the track list. It blew me away. Her voice was crisp and clear as if she was standing or sitting right next to me. Vocals really stand out with that sound system. By contrast, I also happened to have Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Can’t Stop” with me, and that sounded equally good. I can’t tell you if it’s worth spending $3,700 for YOU, but I think I would choose it personally.

Name:  6GCr_5.jpg
Views: 24651
Size:  63.0 KB

The 640i Gran Coupe will hit US dealer showroom floors on June 23rd 2012 with the 650i and 650i xDrive Gran Coupe to follow in September. Including destination and handling, the all-new BMW 640i Gran Coupe will carry a MSRP of $76,895. The BMW 650i Gran Coupe and the 650i xDrive Gran Coupe will be priced at $87,395 and $90,395 respectively. Both Individual selection and M Sport Package will be available at launch. As BMW mentioned, it’s their first 4-door coupe, and it’s amazing. I can’t wait for more cars of its kind from BMW. And neither can Italian police officers.

Moonstone and Frozen Bronze 6 Series Gran Coupe - Press Drive in Sicily, Italy

640i Gran Coupe M Sport Shows Off Citrin Black

Citrin Black Individual 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

650i Gran Coupe

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Interesting that the chassis designation is F06 instead of F16.

Also, I think you meant the trunk can accomodate three golf bags, not three golf clubs.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
None of the gallery images show up on the iphone app. This is a recurring problem that needs a fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

197 inches long, that is one big car, over two feet longer than my 135i. I don't know where you can park that thing on Sicily.
      05-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO
None of the gallery images show up on the iphone app. This is a recurring problem that needs a fix.
I can see them ....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
spkcadet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 JGC Summit

I wish I could see that Citrin Black in person, from what I can see in the pics it looks pretty nice!

haha, someone edited my comment, priceless

Last edited by spkcadet; 05-12-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

The moonstone metallic is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
i still don't understand the need for this kind of car.

Is BMW trying to compete with the Porsche Panamera?
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

^ More like the a7 and cls
      05-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post

This car looks so damn amazing.... if you want a coupe with four doors and don't want the boring Mercedes interior or the ugly tail from the Panamera - this is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
This car looks so damn amazing.... if you want a coupe with four doors and don't want the boring Mercedes interior or the ugly tail from the Panamera - this is the way to go.
The 4er GC is really gonna be the special car, can't wait for it to break wraps, I love this thing but it's just too big...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post

I would say it is aimed more at the Mercedes CLS than anything else on the market. The CLS is very popular here. There are people out there who want a big stylish high performance luxury car.
      05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Diver.......people who can afford these cars dont park them on street. they have big mensions and they use valet parking

[QUOTE=Diver;11930539]197 inches long, that is one big car, over two feet longer than my 135i. I don't know where you can park that thing on Sicily./QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
jonaliew
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F20, 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman

I don't think so. But I prefer this over the 7 entry model. The 6GC is def worth it

2012 - BMW 118i sport (F20)
Kraft kommt von Kraftstoff. Mit dem Herz in der Hand und der Leidenschaft im Tank
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Also, I think you meant the trunk can accomodate three golf bags, not three golf clubs.
It is the backseat of the coupe/convertible that can only accomodate three golf clubs
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
I am very glad, and at the same time don't quite understand, why BMW left out one of the more stunning color of this car..... Ruby black. Glad because I ordered my 6GC in that color and not many will realize it exist for the 6GC
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
The 4er GC is really gonna be the special car, can't wait for it to break wraps, I love this thing but it's just too big...
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for the F36 too. But it's the F86 that might be my next car if I decide against a used GT3 RS/daily beater combo to replace the E92M. Of course, there's still the E46 in the family that needs replacing very soon as well...
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Soomro;11931829]Diver.......people who can afford these cars dont park them on street. they have big mensions and they use valet parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
197 inches long, that is one big car, over two feet longer than my 135i. I don't know where you can park that thing on Sicily./QUOTE]

I was just in Sicily. The streets are narrow and driving any car wider than something like a one series is difficult. Actually, the big shots who own large cars have drivers. There isn't much valet parking because there isn't anyplace for the valets to park cars quickly. One can safely say they introduced cars into Italy without a thought as to where they would put them when they were not moving. Driving down the street people will just stop in front of you with no warning to double or triple park while they run an errand.

In a week behind the wheel of a Kia rent-a-wreck I learned to drive like an Italian. That is a scary thing, and I am still getting over it now that I am back in Texas. On the last day when I needed to catch a plane, the Kia would not start. Someone from the hotel had to jump it.
      05-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Nobody has mentioned it so I will.......

Thank you so MUCH SOUTHLIGHT for your review.

Many forum moderators never drive the cars they represent but you did and gave honest feedback. Thank you....

That being said there is no denying it is a beauty.........

With too many choices.....

It is more along the lines of a Panamera but..........here is the THING.

When priced against the A7 the 640i with equal options is 20k more. I like the A7- don't love it but 20k more is a big stretch. Only time will tell if pricing the 6GC closer to the Panny will actually work.....

No doubt the 6GC and i8 are so HOT..... but Porsche still maintains more of an of an exclusivity factor.

Ultimately if BMW CAN pull this off then good for them.......

-Bond
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #20
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

At first, I wasn't sold on this concept from BMW, but now that it is here - it is pretty damn awesome. And I think this competes more with the panamera, somewhat with the CLS and less so with the A7. The 6er GC is cut from a different cloth than the CLS/A7. Those are not "4-door coupes". Those are fastback sedans based on the E-class/A6. The 6GC is actually a 4-door coupe based on a 2-door coupe.

The frameless doors are amazing and the overall pkg screams 6-series. I know the 116.9 WB is identical to F10, but there is nothing F10 about this. I take back my old notion that no one would pay this much for a hopped up F10, but this is 7 series luxury + 6 series sport. Looks like pricing is slotting in between F12 & F13. Right now, I believe F12 is the most expensive base price in the BMW...That is just fine.
      05-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Frozen Bronze... I just can't get enough of that colour, I saw it at the NYIAS, fantastic.. I hope the 4-series coupe offers that

~Frost
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Bravo southlight. Very well written review.
Appreciate 0