BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #1
biofotis
Rep
Drives: bmw f13

NBT Evo retrofit Pre-LCI

Hello all. I had a 650i e63 in the past where I did many retrofits like active steering, dynamic driving, adaptive lights, CIC, active cruise control and they all seemed quite easy as long as you understand the wiring and be able to do the coding. For E series I found it easy to flash and code the ECUs.
This is a video link of my retrofit testing: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ojaSmV3VGS4

Now I bought an F13 2012 model that has a lot of optional extras already like adaptive Led lights, acc, self parking, rear camera, EDC, rear wheel steering and CIC unit but I always wanted to install an NBT evo.
I recently bought a NBT evo id6 unit with matching ATM module from a 650 2016 model. That has a 10 inch screen
From what I gathered I need to remove combo box, move all the wiring from the front to the back to connect via ATM box and then connect the Evo unit.

Now my questions:
1) Is the NTB unit the new gateway for MOST?
2) How do you flash your current ZGW to 8SK version to make it compatible?
I read somewhere you need to edit a file manually from ZGW to ZGW2?
3) Do I need to rewire the ethernet wires from the car to the NBT unit?
4) The NBT unit I guess it already has some FSC codes stored from the donor car. Will this work on my car or the mismatch of vin numbers will disable it? Do I need to virginise the unit first and buy FSC certificates again?
5) But if I update the VIN on the headunit it will not match my ATM right?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
biofotis
Rep

ok after some further investigation I found the below:
1) YEs the NBT will become the new most gateway as 8SK doesnt have most
2) I wont flash the ZGW in case something goes wrong so I will use a 8SK from the same donor car
3) Yes I need to rewire the LAN to the extra port of the NBT evo
4) I need to install an emulator between the car and the nbt unit. ATM and NBT should connect without emulator and they need to have the same VIN number to work. Loaded FSCs wont lost if you use an emulator.
5) No need to update the vin. I guess if I update the headunit to latest firmware I need to use donor VIN with donor FA so it wont update the vin

However I found new theoretical problems (I am still researching and collecting information)
If I used ZGW 8SK then KAFAS1 wont work anymore as car is expecting KAFAS2 now. I know you can buy an emulator to make it work (kafas2 to kafas1 conversion) but with the same money you can replace the kafas ecu and camera to LCI model and load FSC for more features like pedestrian detection. Does anyone know what kind of CAN conversion is needed for kafas1 to 2?
If I replace my kafas camera then I need to replace my windscreen as well. If I replace my windscreen I need to replace rain sensor! Its like a chain!
I think I can get away with the above as my windscreen needs replacing anyway as it has a crack
My biggest problem is that I read somewhere that you will lose Integral active steering with the new ZGW. Does anyone know if thats true as my car comes with it and I dont want to lose it either.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
biofotis
Rep

OK I did it

So to sum up you can retrofit nbt ebo without expensive emulators and have full functionality. I used a cheap chinese one for 25 pounds and works fine.
You have to make sure you use it between the car can2 wires and nbt plus atm modules as ATM vin number has to match NBT evo.
Also in our cars both microphone wires (if you have telematics module) are in the trunk so you need to wire the left mic to the nbt unit then another set of wires from nbt unit back to ATM module. Also ATM needs 2 wires to nbt for ethernet and can2 from emulator.
My biggest problem was the kafas1 module that was not working as the data are not compatible with latest evo i-level. So lane deviation and FLA was working but not 8TH sign recognition.
I bought a used kafas2 ecu and camera for around 80 pounds and put it temporary on my car but then the camera wouldnt fit on the windscreen. So I modified kafas2 camera so it could fit inside the housing of Kafas1 camera without changing angles etc. Now it sits perfect on my windscreen and I can adjust the angle as well. I can also revert back to kafas1 camera if I want as I didnt modify the housing.
Then I had the problem of vin mismatch so it rejected the FCS codes for sign recognition human detection and FCW. Anytime I was reloading them (you can find the repair set and instructions on youtube in a zip file) it was working fine but after restarting my car it was rejecting it. After some research I found that newer firmware had this feature of FSC rejection if VIN mismatch.
So I downgraded firmware on kafas ecu to a version from 2016(v.59.3_PSdZData_Full) (cadf, bootloader software) and coded the unit again. After finishing the calibration process the car was ready! No more FSC rejection. I have the files if someone want to copy them on his PSdZdata folder to save download time. Then you need to modify the SVT xml files to downgrade the module.

Also as I wanted to avoid messing with my ZGW module in case I wanted to revert back (my car has a lot of options so it needs a high version) I bought an 8SK ZGW without MOST and changed the vin to my car one. Then opened the same FLEXRAY ports as my old unit and the car was ready.

Now everything works and even connected drive. I registered the atm to my bmw account so I can unlock/lock/start ventilation/headlights remotely and also track it on map. For that to work when the car goes to sleep you need to provide emulator with always ON 12V as otherwise it goes to sleep and stops sending CAN msgs to the car from the ATM module. Just make sure your emulator is not drawing a lot of power in standby as it will drain the battery after some days or weeks.

So in total this has costed me around 400 pounds after selling the old set so in my opinion its worth it as it transforms the car and the new display made from glass is match better looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 02:47 AM   #4
suj999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d M Sport, F10 520d SE

Good write up,
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:44 PM   #5
KelvinTooT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

So I currently gets new LCI screen and nbt evo installed and called someone flashed to id6 everything works smooth. But if I want to further more do connect drive stuff I need ATM? Something? Is that gonna be used or brand new. i heard that nbt evo called ATM and nbt called TCB. What shall I do futher?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 01:23 AM   #6
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofotis View Post
OK I did it

So to sum up you can retrofit nbt ebo without expensive emulators and have full functionality. I used a cheap chinese one for 25 pounds and works fine.
You have to make sure you use it between the car can2 wires and nbt plus atm modules as ATM vin number has to match NBT evo.
Also in our cars both microphone wires (if you have telematics module) are in the trunk so you need to wire the left mic to the nbt unit then another set of wires from nbt unit back to ATM module. Also ATM needs 2 wires to nbt for ethernet and can2 from emulator.
My biggest problem was the kafas1 module that was not working as the data are not compatible with latest evo i-level. So lane deviation and FLA was working but not 8TH sign recognition.
I bought a used kafas2 ecu and camera for around 80 pounds and put it temporary on my car but then the camera wouldnt fit on the windscreen. So I modified kafas2 camera so it could fit inside the housing of Kafas1 camera without changing angles etc. Now it sits perfect on my windscreen and I can adjust the angle as well. I can also revert back to kafas1 camera if I want as I didnt modify the housing.
Then I had the problem of vin mismatch so it rejected the FCS codes for sign recognition human detection and FCW. Anytime I was reloading them (you can find the repair set and instructions on youtube in a zip file) it was working fine but after restarting my car it was rejecting it. After some research I found that newer firmware had this feature of FSC rejection if VIN mismatch.
So I downgraded firmware on kafas ecu to a version from 2016(v.59.3_PSdZData_Full) (cadf, bootloader software) and coded the unit again. After finishing the calibration process the car was ready! No more FSC rejection. I have the files if someone want to copy them on his PSdZdata folder to save download time. Then you need to modify the SVT xml files to downgrade the module.

Also as I wanted to avoid messing with my ZGW module in case I wanted to revert back (my car has a lot of options so it needs a high version) I bought an 8SK ZGW without MOST and changed the vin to my car one. Then opened the same FLEXRAY ports as my old unit and the car was ready.

Now everything works and even connected drive. I registered the atm to my bmw account so I can unlock/lock/start ventilation/headlights remotely and also track it on map. For that to work when the car goes to sleep you need to provide emulator with always ON 12V as otherwise it goes to sleep and stops sending CAN msgs to the car from the ATM module. Just make sure your emulator is not drawing a lot of power in standby as it will drain the battery after some days or weeks.

So in total this has costed me around 400 pounds after selling the old set so in my opinion its worth it as it transforms the car and the new display made from glass is match better looking.
In your case, did you plug in the nbt with custom wiring? Can’t find a diy on how to make custom wiring coming from cic to nbt. Not even easy to find a retrofit it. I’m wondering if I could plug the nbt unit straight into my pre lci f10. Thanks for reading. Help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #7
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billowusu View Post
In your case, did you plug in the nbt with custom wiring? Can’t find a diy on how to make custom wiring coming from cic to nbt. Not even easy to find a retrofit it. I’m wondering if I could plug the nbt unit straight into my pre lci f10. Thanks for reading. Help is appreciated.
Answer there is no. It's not a straight swap. The CAN lines are different between CIC and NBT. It's not an easy or straightforward job at all. Check my thread here for an idea of the complexity involved: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607744
      07-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #8
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Answer there is no. It's not a straight swap. The CAN lines are different between CIC and NBT. It's not an easy or straightforward job at all. Check my thread here for an idea of the complexity involved: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607744
I figured out how to deal with that now thankfully. My main problem is the zgw now. I don’t wanna run an emulator. I have a zgw 02 4k that I pulled from an nbt car. I was wondering if I could just install it or if it’s worth the risk flashing my original one. I’m also changing the icm module.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:43 PM   #9
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Zgw 4sk I meant
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #10
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

I now have zgw 8sk , new nbt display with new apix cable, I’m aware I have to find a way to drop voltage since I’m retrofitting nbt evo, new lci icm module and pasta full for esys. All I’m missing now is a controller and the WiFi antenna. I’ll keep y’all updated and hopefully show the nessesary steps on how to retrofit from cic to nbt evo.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 04:37 PM   #11
billowusu
Private First Class
Rep

Car already comes with zgw 02 high so it makes things a bit easier 🙏🏾.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0