BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Panorama roof shade logic

Has anyone figured out the automation logic of the panoramic roof shade? Sometimes when I leave the car I have left the shade open, when coming back it's closed. Sometimes the shade is still open when coming back.

I guess it would make sense heating / cooling wise to close it, but this has also happened in occasions when I have not triggered the remote climate function.

Last time today, left the shade open and stopped in a grocery store for 10 minutes (locked the car). When I came back the shade was closed. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:27 AM   #2
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
Has anyone figured out the automation logic of the panoramic roof shade? Sometimes when I leave the car I have left the shade open, when coming back it's closed. Sometimes the shade is still open when coming back.

I guess it would make sense heating / cooling wise to close it, but this has also happened in occasions when I have not triggered the remote climate function.

Last time today, left the shade open and stopped in a grocery store for 10 minutes (locked the car). When I came back the shade was closed. Thoughts?
My roof shade remains in the same position I leave it each and every time so I'm not sure what is happening here. What I have noticed however is that if you push and hold the Lock button on the remote, it will start to close. The opposite happens with the unlock button. It might be something to do with that which you haven't noticed?
Appreciate 1
lakmus23.50
      03-03-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Quote:

As far as I know, it also connects to the rain sensor and automatically closes when it detects rain. Maybe that's an explanation?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
As far as I know, it also connects to the rain sensor and automatically closes when it detects rain. Maybe that's an explanation?
This is only for the actual roof itself, not the blind.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t41l589 View Post
My roof shade remains in the same position I leave it each and every time so I'm not sure what is happening here. What I have noticed however is that if you push and hold the Lock button on the remote, it will start to close. The opposite happens with the unlock button. It might be something to do with that which you haven't noticed?
I'm using Comfort Access and haven't touched the key for a long time.. It is loosely in my jacket pocket, so accidental presses should not happen but might be one cause. Manual nor technical training manual mention nothing about this.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Mine uses comfort access, and never had the shade move on me to be fair? Unless you hold the lock button then it will slide shut.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #7
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I have had the shade open since I got the car. Never had any issues. Get it checked out with the BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #8
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
I have had the shaes open since I got the car. Never had any issues. Get it checked out with the BMW
If it would actually close (or open) it when heating / cooling that's something I would actually prefer. But I'll schedule anyways time for the 03/22 update related to the driver profiles so I'll ask about this.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:36 AM   #9
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

I’ve come back to the car twice to find the shade 1/3 closed
Appreciate 1
lakmus23.50
      03-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #10
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
I've come back to the car twice to find the shade 1/3 closed
I've seen this as well few times
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:30 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I’ve come back to the car twice to find the shade 1/3 closed
Quote:
I've seen this as well few times
Is this a case of using a key fob (long press) to close windows or fold mirrors?

If so, the shade closes as well, in many models with the panoramic roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #12
silver82
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
I've come back to the car twice to find the shade 1/3 closed
I had the same experience as well but I assumed that I somehow I long pressed the button or my wife did to make sure the car is locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

As noted, the shade will close if you hold the lock button, I've seen this a few times, I suspect I've held (or accidently pressed) the lock button too long and it's started to close the shade. I doubt it's a fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #14
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

I cracked it - apparently the rain sensor also closes the shade. I've had melting snow on the roof - realized it today when I went into car wash sunroof closed but shade open. After washing the car and entering in I noticed the shade was shut.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

I opened the shade wide on the first day I got it last year. Since then it has stayed open despite rain showers, storms and washing the car with snow foam, etc. It must be a fairly random thing.
Appreciate 0