BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2022, 12:34 AM   #1
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Less than 2 weeks old and back at the dealer

We’ll that’s crappy, jumped in the car on Thursday for it to throw up a drivetrain fault. Turned it off and on, no change. Turned it off and walked away (out of comfort access range) and fault cleared but BMW roadside assistance were already en-route. Turns out there’s an oil pump fault and something needs replacing so it’s in the dealer’s whilst they wait for the part for 7-10 days, and BMW lent me a 3 year ol i3

Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 11:31 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s back. Apparently it was a failure of the oil pump. Wow it’s nice to have it back.

Appreciate 1
MATR43.50
      02-05-2022, 04:24 AM   #3
that_dude
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
It’s back. Apparently it was a failure of the oil pump. Wow it’s nice to have it back.

Good news you have it back. Also, may I say that whilst the carbon black looks great, this white is perhaps even better on the LCI!
Appreciate 1
RedJon116.50
      02-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_dude View Post
Good news you have it back. Also, may I say that whilst the carbon black looks great, this white is perhaps even better on the LCI!
I pulled up at the supermarket today and it was bright sunshine and the pearlescent paint looked amazing, I had to stand and admire for a couple of minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Oil pump? Where is that then? I thought these things were free from oil?!

Now it all makes sense. When mine was in for the software update, I received a message from the dealer. They asked if I wanted a spare bottle of top up oil… no idea where the top up spout is though!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 01:55 AM   #6
maRRty75
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:

Looks nice in white. I have just ordered the M Sport Pro and been told by the lease company that white is the only colour I can order but I might be able to change the colour later in the production/pre-delivery process. I have stated Carbon Black as my preferred colour but the one I test drove in that colour had lots of swirl marks and as such I'm half-minded to stick with white. I've not seen the Mineral White apart from in photos; does it have a pearlescent look in sunlight?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

It looks great in Mineral White. It is a pearlescent colour and looks fabulous in different types of light.

Mine is in Carbon Black which looks great when it's clean, but it is a bit of a labour of love to avoid swirl marks etc. I only ever wash it myself very carefully with a wool mitt, two buckets, snow foam, plush drying towel etc. Black is very easy to mark and needs a good wash routine to minimise the swirl marks! The demo I drove was also in CB and that looked in an awful state! Light scratches and swirls all over it. Nothing that wouldn't come out with a good polish, but easily done if its not been washed carefully.

I probably would have gone for the Mineral White, but that would have meant a factory order and me being impatient didn't want to wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:00 AM   #8
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Oil pump? Where is that then? I thought these things were free from oil?!

Now it all makes sense. When mine was in for the software update, I received a message from the dealer. They asked if I wanted a spare bottle of top up oil… no idea where the top up spout is though!!!
I've been asking myself the same question! Has anyone any idea where the oil pump is or what it actually does? I thought the e-drive motors were completely free of oil!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:54 AM   #9
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

It could be used as a coolant
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #10
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The motor and inverter (speed controller) will be oil cooled so the pump will be for circulating this oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #11
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maRRty75 View Post
I've not seen the Mineral White apart from in photos; does it have a pearlescent look in sunlight?
Yes it is a pearlescent white and looks awesome in the sun so I can’t wait for the summer. I had a carbon black BMW many years ago and it was beautiful on very very sunny days, probably about 3 twice a year in the UK. My las X3 was phytonic blue which I absolutely loved, but with the dark rear lights and gloss black trim I think the LCI iX3 looks best in the white.

Last edited by RedJon; 02-06-2022 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #12
that_dude
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
...with the dark rear lights and gloss black trim I thin the LCI iX3 looks best in the white.
Those lights make a huge difference. I am having to stop myself from arriving at that conclusion as I'm still waiting for the luck of the draw what will be available from the leasing company
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
BMW_MAD
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 Msport Pro & 98 E36 M3 Evo

Garage List
2016 330e  [0.00]
1998 BMW E36 M3  [0.00]
That looks stunning and is the best picture I have seen of one in white. I have ordered the exact same and goes into production soon!
Appreciate 1
RedJon116.50