BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
IX3 KING
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Charging 100%

Why does my iX3 M Sport Pro only charge to 200 mile when fully charged at 100%. When will I get 285 miles at 100%.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Potentially never, but when it’s warmer batteries perform better so you should get more range. It’s also just a guesstimate based on various factors including historical driving style.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

It’s a bit like petrol cars and their mpg claims, you never really get the claimed rate but they can be useful as a rough guide and for comparison with other vehicles claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 KING View Post
Why does my iX3 M Sport Pro only charge to 200 mile when fully charged at 100%. When will I get 285 miles at 100%.
Unless you can drive at about 10MPH on a rolling road, probably never! You should be able to get 260 miles or more in summer without too much stop-start driving though. The figure in the car is a guess based on recent trips/driving style, temperature, amount of electrical items used, A/C usage and many other things. The more accurate way would be to multiply the size of the battery (you get 74kWh out of 80 to play with) by power used, but that fluctuates, but if you are averaging 3.5 miles per kWh on a trip, you'd get around 259 miles, and so on.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
It’s a bit like petrol cars and their mpg claims, you never really get the claimed rate but they can be useful as a rough guide and for comparison with other vehicles claims.
Add in that BEV consumption is very much like ICE, in that the variables are very wide, based on conditions and driving use/style.

I see EV Database gives a mileage range (low to high) for the iX3, of 170 - 345 miles. So like ICE, the mileage can be 'double or half', depending on how we look at it.

Don't forget that part of the BEV range achieved in the real world, includes the recovered miles, through regeneration as you drive. Keep off those brakes!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

BMW has really missed a trick with the iX3. The i3 has been around for nearly 8 years now and the algorithm used to assess range is a lot more accurate than that used in the iX3. In my i3 120Ah, I would usually go out to the car on a warm summer morning and find it showing a range in excess of 185 miles. Six months of iX3 driving on, I have yet to see a range above 235 miles. This really needs to be addressed in a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

It can be done: full charge here still showing around 390 kilometers, which is close to 245 miles if I do the non metric correctly.
Back in October and November it easily went between 400 and 420 kilometers, which is around 250-265 miles. As mine was delivered in October I hold high hopes for spring and summer. Hope to see 440-450 sometime (which would be sensationally close to the official 459).
Have to say that all this is without holding back: I regularly test if all the kW's are still awake!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:45 AM   #8
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
It can be done: full charge here still showing around 390 kilometers, which is close to 245 miles if I do the non metric correctly.
Back in October and November it easily went between 400 and 420 kilometers, which is around 250-265 miles. As mine was delivered in October I hold high hopes for spring and summer. Hope to see 440-450 sometime (which would be sensationally close to the official 459).
Have to say that all this is without holding back: I regularly test if all the kW's are still awake!
It is not the iX3's range that I am questioning: it is the estimated range showing in the iX3's display. In the i3, the GoM calculates range based on the previous two journeys. It would seem to me, at least, the iX3 uses a different algorithm which is why it is invariably on the low side of what it should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:56 AM   #9
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
It is not the iX3's range that I am questioning: it is the estimated range showing in the iX3's display. In the i3, the GoM calculates range based on the previous two journeys. It would seem to me, at least, the iX3 uses a different algorithm which is why it is invariably on the low side of what it should be.
Didn't mention it clearly indeed, but I was actually referring to what the GOM says.
The actual range is mostly close to that; mostly a bit more. Though I have to say I haven't been below 10% yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 05:28 AM   #10
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colh68 View Post
Unless you can drive at about 10MPH on a rolling road, probably never! You should be able to get 260 miles or more in summer without too much stop-start driving though. The figure in the car is a guess based on recent trips/driving style, temperature, amount of electrical items used, A/C usage and many other things. The more accurate way would be to multiply the size of the battery (you get 74kWh out of 80 to play with) by power used, but that fluctuates, but if you are averaging 3.5 miles per kWh on a trip, you'd get around 259 miles, and so on.
Stop-start is actually not as much of a big deal with EVs. In a ICE car there is a fair bit of torque loss through the transmission, but with EVs the direct drive and regen braking means that stop-start is much less of an impact.

Drag is a far greater issue for EVs, you'd get more range in stop-start 10mph traffic than you would doing 80mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
I recall reading somewhere in BMW data, that there is a predictive element built in the algorithm for PHEV range in current models. I suspect that is now the same for BEV.

BTW, do you better the figure in actual use?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #12
iX3 Citi
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX3 Sports Pro

IX3 Citi

I drive my iX3 I'm London and the range on a full charge is between 130 and 180 miles. I realize that it has been cold and the heating is on, but this is 100 miles less than the range BMW claims for this vehicle.

BMW need to be more transparent about their claims about the battery range.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 Citi View Post
I drive my iX3 I'm London and the range on a full charge is between 130 and 180 miles. I realize that it has been cold and the heating is on, but this is 100 miles less than the range BMW claims for this vehicle.

As I said earlier, I am pretty sure that isn’t anything more than an algorithm that needs updating. The i3 GOM manages a pretty accurate assessment of range in all weather conditions. That said, iX3 cabin pre-heating before departure is there for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 Citi View Post

They can only use the WLTP rating, which is essentially a comparison rating, using the standard tests applied to all BEV models.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:48 AM   #15
Priteshix3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M sport Pro

Charging 100%

Is BMW planning on making changes to the range calculator? The guess-o-meter can not be used in my opinion !
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 01:57 AM   #16
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

I have to admit that the GOM has got better for me in the past week as I have been driving my OH 50 miles and back for hospital appointments. I have achieved maximum ranges of 285 miles. Even yesterday, when it was very cold, I drove a 102 miles and the GOM was showing 164 miles and 60% SOC when I got home. I have yet to have any software updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:10 AM   #17
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
My car goes way over the specifications! Charged in Spain, outside temp 18 degr C. Due to the limited amount of chargers in southern Spain (understatement) I did not have the guts to drive to “turtle level” and see how much was really feasible. After 395 kms I did recharge again. In Holland I would have looked what this figure represents.

My take on this situation is that the tension set in the charger is too high and messes up the range computing. But it was fun to see!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0