BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
Hunt171
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

iX3 Jolting into drive

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of guidance on whether this is normal.

My ix3 "jolts" into gear on uneven surfaces. The scenario is, I get into the car, pull gear shifter into drive and car jolts forward a little (handbrake is still on at this stage). My car is parked on a slightly sloping driveway. This doesn't happen when car is parked on flat ground. Bit worried it is going to cause a problem later down the line. Have you had any experience of this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Pointing up the hill or down? I don’t get this issue but I point down the slop on my driveway then reverse out. I’ll try the other way tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Are you using the Auto Hold on the handbrake? If you are try turning it off and see if that helps. It might not be the same but I had a similar thing on my 5 series and there was an issue with the auto hold (a software fix resolved it).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt171 View Post
Hi,

Just looking for a bit of guidance on whether this is normal.

My ix3 "jolts" into gear on uneven surfaces. The scenario is, I get into the car, pull gear shifter into drive and car jolts forward a little (handbrake is still on at this stage). My car is parked on a slightly sloping driveway. This doesn't happen when car is parked on flat ground. Bit worried it is going to cause a problem later down the line. Have you had any experience of this?

Thanks!
Mine does the same - meant to post about it. I’m not sure if it is a problem or not.

My driveway slopes upwards slightly. I reverse onto it, so the car is pointing downhill. However, it also does it on my parents’ drive, which slopes the other way.

It tends to happen when the car has been parked and is switched off, with the handbrake engaged. I get into the car, turn it on and engage drive. That’s when I get a loud “clunk”. Pulling away after that is very smooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
Hunt171
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
Pointing up the hill or down? I don’t get this issue but I point down the slop on my driveway then reverse out. I’ll try the other way tomorrow.
It happens both ways - pointing up or down...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #6
Hunt171
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Are you using the Auto Hold on the handbrake? If you are try turning it off and see if that helps. It might not be the same but I had a similar thing on my 5 series and there was an issue with the auto hold (a software fix resolved it).
I use Auto Hold. I will try switching it off and see if that makes a difference.

When i park up (on my sloped drive), my procedure is brake to a stop - press P on the gearstick, foot off brake. At that point the car moves a bit. I'm wondering if that movement is normal / part of the issue when re-engaging drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Hunt171
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Mine does the same - meant to post about it. I’m not sure if it is a problem or not.

My driveway slopes upwards slightly. I reverse onto it, so the car is pointing downhill. However, it also does it on my parents’ drive, which slopes the other way.

It tends to happen when the car has been parked and is switched off, with the handbrake engaged. I get into the car, turn it on and engage drive. That’s when I get a loud “clunk”. Pulling away after that is very smooth.
Thanks - useful to know it's not just mine. Pulling away after the initial clunk is also very smooth for me. I'll give the supplying dealer a call next week and see if they can shed any light on it. Ps - love the car otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 05:55 AM   #8
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Tried this morning on my drive slope and not a bit of movement when engaging drive. MSport Pro
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Is this a similar feeling to what you get with an Auto, if you load the parking pawl on the gearbox in the Auto? Slopes being the worse case for a jolt, as you select Drive or Reverse in the AT.

If the iX3 has a similar parking lock, how you stop, brake and off-load the drive, may be the solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #10
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I use Auto Hold. I will try switching it off and see if that makes a difference.

When i park up (on my sloped drive), my procedure is brake to a stop - press P on the gearstick, foot off brake. At that point the car moves a bit. I'm wondering if that movement is normal / part of the issue when re-engaging drive...
I had a play with mine this afternoon. I also get the small movement when releasing the foot brake.

Having the auto hold on or off makes no difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Noticed this as well, but easily fixed by pressing the brake pedal just a little harder when you engage drive or reverse. No more jolts here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:47 AM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
Noticed this as well, but easily fixed by pressing the brake pedal just a little harder when you engage drive or reverse. No more jolts here.
Makes no difference how hard I press the brake pedal. The jolt appears to be the drivetrain engaging when the vehicle is placed in Drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:57 AM   #13
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Quote:

It is a normal behaviour because of this movement between park and activation of the brake. Very common in cars with Auto gearbox (you don't feel it in manual gearbox because the clutch will "surpress" it). Basically it is due to the small movement between the moment you P and apply brake.

Try to apply the "hand" brake before releasing the foot brake and then switch off the car. It should not jolt (or so I hope, otherwise just made a fool of myself...)
Appreciate 0