BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
IX3 KING
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

B on gear leaver

What does the B on the gear leaver do and how does it work anyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 KING View Post
What does the B on the gear leaver do and how does it work anyone.
The B driving mode is one pedal driving which is standard on a number of EVs such as the BMW i3 (in fact it is the only driving mode on i3). The accelerator pedal acts as both an accelerator and proportional/adaptive brake. You can set the rate of regenerative braking in the iDrive.

Easing off the pedal will put the car into coasting mode. The needle on the RHS of the display should be at the 3 o’clock position. Releasing the pedal slightly will result in the car starting to brake. The more you ease off the greater the braking effect. With practice, it is possible to drive without ever using the brake pedal. Unlike D mode, the car will remain stationary until the accelerator is pressed. FWiW, I drive in B mode on country roads and around towns as it is a lot easier than using the brake pedal.

In case you are not aware, coasting when you can will maximise range.

Last edited by DaveCV; 01-19-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yup works a treat, how I drive 90% of the time, wife hasn't got used to it yet, but sure she will when her leaf arrives shortly as that was one of the OG one pedal cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

DaveCV has described it perfectly. I just wish you could tell D to behave like B without the extra movement, maybe with low. medium, high and B regen, as I always put it in B. After years getting used to one-pedal driving with an i3 I only want this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colh68 View Post
DaveCV has described it perfectly. I just wish you could tell D to behave like B without the extra movement, maybe with low. medium, high and B regen, as I always put it in B. After years getting used to one-pedal driving with an i3 I only want this.
I agree. I use it pretty much all the time. Fantastic once you get used to it. Although 30 years of driving old fashioned cars means I keep forgetting, and it brakes when I lift my foot intending to coast. Muscle memory I guess!

It’s annoying that I have to slide it into the B position every time. I occasionally get to the end of my road and wonder why the car isn’t breaking - then realise I haven’t flipped it over.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #6
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I agree. I use it pretty much all the time. Fantastic once you get used to it. Although 30 years of driving old fashioned cars means I keep forgetting, and it brakes when I lift my foot intending to coast. Muscle memory I guess!

It’s annoying that I have to slide it into the B position every time. I occasionally get to the end of my road and wonder why the car isn’t breaking - then realise I haven’t flipped it over.
The fact that it doesn’t profile default to B mode is almost as annoying as the i3 not defaulting to Eco Pro.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
The fact that it doesn’t profile default to B mode is almost as annoying as the i3 not defaulting to Eco Pro.
On the other hand, at least they both default to something.

For 11 months my company provided me with a brand new Ford Kuga, while waiting for the iX3. When I got in it, I never knew whether the aircon would be on or off. It was completely random. Inevitably on wet days it would turn itself off...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

At least the system 'pops' it out of B mode when it parks or you press p/open the door. Something amusing about the gear level self popping across again 😂
Appreciate 0