BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

First 24 hours with M Sport Pro

Picked up the M Sport Pro yesterday. Did a few local trips in it yesterday to get used to it but it drives similarly to the X3 I have in the USA so felt like a simple change.. The wife was quite anti the purchase but after having driven it once she has changed her mind :-)

We had a play with B mode driving and both hated it. I am sure it is an acquired taste but it felt like the braking system is always fighting against you, it just doesn't feel as smooth a drive as adaptive mode.

Working in IT, I normally recommend consistency when designing any user interface / system. I expected to hate adaptive mode, how can you lift your foot of the accelerator and not know in advance if the car will brake hard / softly / not at all? It should be a recipe for disaster.... How wrong I was. Adaptive mode just intuitively brakes at the right time and with the correct force... car pulls in front of you, approach red lights, approach a roundabout etc. and the braking kicks in at just the right amount, it feels like it reads your mind.

Before I went to bed last night I connected the car to my Sync EV charger and left it to do a full charge.

I set the My BMW app to precondition the car for a 10am departure. I was unclear if preconditioning power would come from the sync EV since when a sync EV finishes a charge it states you have to disconnect and reconnect the charger to start a new charge....

9.30am this morning the preconditioning started and power was taken from the sync EV. I was surprised that it took a full 7.2KW charge for 30 mins for the preconditioning. I can only assume it was heating the battery as well... 80p of power each time you precondition is quite a hit.

Today, was a longer return trip of approx 150 total miles. Indicated range when I set off was 194 miles.

Got to have a decent play with the driver assistance pro. I thought I would hate it, but motorway driving is a pleasure with it, it keeps in lane really well and adjusts to other traffic. It seems to be in tune perfectly and you sometimes wonder if the car or yourself is turning the wheel. As I gained a little confidence I started to have a good look through the I drive menu systems, the attention alert feature kicked in and told be off for not paying attention on the road! The only time I was a little hesitant is when on the outside lane on the motorway when there is a sharper bend. First time the car held the outside line a little closer to the central reservation than I would have liked. Second time I adjusted the cruise control from 50 to 70 (transitioned speed limits on a bend), the car accelerated and didn't seem to be in sync with the DAP. I expect it would have corrected itself in time, but I intervened since I didn't want to find out the hard way...

On my return trip, when I had 74 miles of range a pop up appeared stating the temperature was cold and do I want to precondition the battery. Tapping this took me to a menu where I could activate battery preconditioning...

The final stats of the drive are shown in the screenshot, cruise was set for 77mph for all motorway driving which was around 80% of the journey. Car showed 60 miles of range after the trip, so looks like I would have hit a total range of just over 210 miles to flat...

When I got back I hooked the car up to the sync EV. The sync EV flashed a code saying it was waiting for the car, the car indicated it was waiting for the charger. Lots of messing around with cables, disconnect / reconnect made no difference. Fired up the sync EV app and it said the unit was no longer connected to WiFi (I exclusively use Enterprise grade WiFi equipment, over 50 other devices were connected to WiFi and the closest access point was 4 meters from the sync EV). In the end I flipped the main breaker for the house. The sync EV rebooted and started to charge the car. The sync EV app now shows a status of charging but the stats for power usage / graphing are all missing so There is something wrong on my sync EV or their cloud side...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Great write up and thanks for sharing. I'm hopefully collecting mine later this week.

Quick question. How loaded up were you on your longer trip?

I've got a full loaded trip planned for the end of the month, which is mostly motorway and my cruise will be set similar to yours.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post

I've got a full loaded trip planned for the end of the month, which is mostly motorway and my cruise will be set similar to yours.

Cheers
Good question. Just me in the car and no baggage at all...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Bert13
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

What’s that number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
Picked up the M Sport Pro yesterday. Did a few local trips in it yesterday to get used to it but it drives similarly to the X3 I have in the USA so felt like a simple change.. The wife was quite anti the purchase but after having driven it once she has changed her mind :-)

We had a play with B mode driving and both hated it. I am sure it is an acquired taste but it felt like the braking system is always fighting against you, it just doesn't feel as smooth a drive as adaptive mode.

Working in IT, I normally recommend consistency when designing any user interface / system. I expected to hate adaptive mode, how can you lift your foot of the accelerator and not know in advance if the car will brake hard / softly / not at all? It should be a recipe for disaster.... How wrong I was. Adaptive mode just intuitively brakes at the right time and with the correct force... car pulls in front of you, approach red lights, approach a roundabout etc. and the braking kicks in at just the right amount, it feels like it reads your mind.

Before I went to bed last night I connected the car to my Sync EV charger and left it to do a full charge.

I set the My BMW app to precondition the car for a 10am departure. I was unclear if preconditioning power would come from the sync EV since when a sync EV finishes a charge it states you have to disconnect and reconnect the charger to start a new charge....

9.30am this morning the preconditioning started and power was taken from the sync EV. I was surprised that it took a full 7.2KW charge for 30 mins for the preconditioning. I can only assume it was heating the battery as well... 80p of power each time you precondition is quite a hit.

Today, was a longer return trip of approx 150 total miles. Indicated range when I set off was 194 miles.

Got to have a decent play with the driver assistance pro. I thought I would hate it, but motorway driving is a pleasure with it, it keeps in lane really well and adjusts to other traffic. It seems to be in tune perfectly and you sometimes wonder if the car or yourself is turning the wheel. As I gained a little confidence I started to have a good look through the I drive menu systems, the attention alert feature kicked in and told be off for not paying attention on the road! The only time I was a little hesitant is when on the outside lane on the motorway when there is a sharper bend. First time the car held the outside line a little closer to the central reservation than I would have liked. Second time I adjusted the cruise control from 50 to 70 (transitioned speed limits on a bend), the car accelerated and didn't seem to be in sync with the DAP. I expect it would have corrected itself in time, but I intervened since I didn't want to find out the hard way...

On my return trip, when I had 74 miles of range a pop up appeared stating the temperature was cold and do I want to precondition the battery. Tapping this took me to a menu where I could activate battery preconditioning...

The final stats of the drive are shown in the screenshot, cruise was set for 77mph for all motorway driving which was around 80% of the journey. Car showed 60 miles of range after the trip, so looks like I would have hit a total range of just over 210 miles to flat...

When I got back I hooked the car up to the sync EV. The sync EV flashed a code saying it was waiting for the car, the car indicated it was waiting for the charger. Lots of messing around with cables, disconnect / reconnect made no difference. Fired up the sync EV app and it said the unit was no longer connected to WiFi (I exclusively use Enterprise grade WiFi equipment, over 50 other devices were connected to WiFi and the closest access point was 4 meters from the sync EV). In the end I flipped the main breaker for the house. The sync EV rebooted and started to charge the car. The sync EV app now shows a status of charging but the stats for power usage / graphing are all missing so There is something wrong on my sync EV or their cloud side...

Does anyone know what the blue number in the bottom left of the screen written in blue with the battery symbol (5.4kwh in the consumption data shown)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #5
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
Does anyone know what the blue number in the bottom left of the screen written in blue with the battery symbol (5.4kwh in the consumption data shown)

Thanks
I think that is how much power was regenerated from braking etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Got a Sync EV as well, my recommendation is to turn off the smarts on it and use ev.energy instead, the sync ev in dumb mode is flawless in smart mode is a mess with constant having to reboot it etc. Never had issue when it's just been dumb, plud all the stupid pulse or trickle stuff isn't an issue then either.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Got a Sync EV as well, my recommendation is to turn off the smarts on it and use ev.energy instead, the sync ev in dumb mode is flawless in smart mode is a mess with constant having to reboot it etc. Never had issue when it's just been dumb, plud all the stupid pulse or trickle stuff isn't an issue then either.
Thanks, I had already turned off smart mode and the pulse stuff. Also turned off authentication so it really should be dumb and just charge.

I was a little surprised when it wouldn't work today. I just pulled my WiFi logs for the Sync EV and it has been sending a continuous tiny stream of data for days so it hadn't lost its Internet connection even though that was the error it was showing...

I set up EV.energy after seeing your other post on it, however I have a dumb meter (well, a SMETS v1) so I have no value in smart charging at the moment since my electric rate is just high 24 hours a day :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Thanks, I had already turned off smart mode and the pulse stuff. Also turned off authentication so it really should be dumb and just charge.

I was a little surprised when it wouldn't work today. I just pulled my WiFi logs for the Sync EV and it has been sending a continuous tiny stream of data for days so it hadn't lost its Internet connection even though that was the error it was showing...

I set up EV.energy after seeing your other post on it, however I have a dumb meter (well, a SMETS v1) so I have no value in smart charging at the moment since my electric rate is just high 24 hours a day :-(
Bummer, worth turning on though with your current rate, as it will work out when it would be the highest 'green' energy and charge then. Its also smart enough to know when your plugging into your home charger and out and about, and only 'smart' charge when at home, and do full power charge when out. Besides when bmw had the API issues a little while back its been flawless.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:18 AM   #9
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post

Cheers
Prem Pro here. Did our first loaded up trip at the weekend - 2 adults, 2 kids, large dog, luggage etc (no roofbox though).

Started with 100% battery and preconditioned cabin and did 160 miles Friday evening (plenty of freezing fog and very cold!). Added 24kWh on a rapid charger when we stopped for a break (total 25 mins stationary) and arrived with 83 miles range left. According to the car, journey average was 2.5 miles per kWh (average speed 54.2mph).

Return trip on Sunday and temperature was 8C when we set off , took a slightly different route due to traffic/roadworks making it 152 miles. Didn't stop. Arrived with 52 miles range left, journey average 2.7 miles per kWh (average speed 56mph).

My cruising speed was similar, with occasional bursts a little above. I was making a point of not trying to be economical. Was impressed!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:55 AM   #10
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
I think that is how much power was regenerated from braking etc.
That indicates the amount of power regenerated by the car through decelerating. Multiply it with your average consumption (kWh/mi) and see how many miles you drove “for free”!
For me on 27.000 km I have driven about 3.800 for free (700 kWh regenerated times 5.5 km/kWh). Nice feature an ICE lacks
Appreciate 0