BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Emergency Unplugging

The i3 has got a manual unlock facility (a long piece of plastic that is pulled) which can unlock a stuck charging plug. I have had this happen twice on 2 i3s when rapid charging. Even operating the emergency cut off on the rapid charger failed to release the plug. I cannot see a manual release on my iX3. Should I be worried?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
The i3 has got a manual unlock facility (a long piece of plastic that is pulled) which can unlock a stuck charging plug. I have had this happen twice on 2 i3s when rapid charging. Even operating the emergency cut off on the rapid charger failed to release the plug. I cannot see a manual release on my iX3. Should I be worried?
I had to do it. You go to the menu’s and then at the charge settings you will find an option unplug (or something like that in English) and it will unlock the cable and stop the charging process.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #3
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

You can stop the charging process from the car or from the my bmw app. Afaik there is no emergency unplug function, nor is it needed
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
3ero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Had this happen to me at a faulty charger. It may sound simple but if the digital unlock doesn't work, try locking and unlocking the car with the key.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

On my 225xe locking the double pressing the unlock forces the charge port to unlock, I suspect it would be the same, although till I get mine can't be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I had my first ‘locked’ rapid plug today. The rapid failed to start the charge but the plug was fully locked. I called the operator’s support line and then couldn’t unlock the plug. We agreed that the best thing to do was to re-boot the charge point remotely and start the charge. The charge completed and the plug unlocked normally.

I was tempted to push the iDrive unlock tab but I needed the charge. As I started to pull away another EV wanted my slot. I warned him what might happen. He was on his phone when I left.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:29 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
I had my first ‘locked’ rapid plug today. The rapid failed to start the charge but the plug was fully locked. I called the operator’s support line and then couldn’t unlock the plug. We agreed that the best thing to do was to re-boot the charge point remotely and start the charge. The charge completed and the plug unlocked normally.

I was tempted to push the iDrive unlock tab but I needed the charge. As I started to pull away another EV wanted my slot. I warned him what might happen. He was on his phone when I left.
I had a similar problem on an Ionity charger at Christmas. I had to phone them up. It was late at night, but they answered immediately, and had me disconnected a few seconds later.
Appreciate 0