BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2021, 02:26 AM   #1
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

IX3 - Single Phase Zappi 2

My iX3 is not playing nicely with my Zappi 2. In Eco++ and Fast modes, the charge starts and then stops some minutes later. When I click lock on the key fob, the car’s display flashes Red and tells me to ‘Check the Charging Cable’. If I unplug the cable and re-insert it, charging starts normally and then stops after a period of time. MyEnergi has agreed to replace the tethered cable as there have been a couple of forum reports of a damaged comms lead but I am not 100% sure that this is the issue?

Out of interest, there is a label on the inside of the charging port that shows a plug icon with 2 secs alongside it. I haven’t a clue what this is supposed to tell me. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

My Zappi V2 works fine with the iX3, although I must say I have had two occasions after heavy rain where the car indicates “check charge cable” despite having charged to 100%.

I never noticed the icon near the connecting socket. In my experience I do need to push the plug “good” in the socket. On some public chargers I had to do it a few times before it connected. Maybe it tells there is a 2 sec delay with un-/locking?

I started a post sometime go to share info on chargers:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815992

Not much added there (yet) but maybe worth to keep an eye on that as well?

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 08-10-2021 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      08-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
My Zappi V2 works fine with the iX3, although I must say I have had two occasions after heavy rain where the car indicates “check charge cable” despite having charged to 100%.

I never noticed the icon near the connecting socket. In my experience I do need to push the plug “good” in the socket. On some public chargers I had to do it a few times before it connected. Maybe it tells there is a 2 sec delay with un-/locking?

I started a post sometime go to share info on chargers:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815992

Not much added there (yet) but maybe worth to keep an eye on that as well?
Thanks. I charge my car in a garage so rain shouldn’t be an issue. When I entered the car this morning there were 3 iDrive messages: essential electrics turned off after parking; check charging plug and check charging cable.

Also it seems to want me to set up Connected Drive and it then has a think about it before my profile appears a minute later. The GOM range is also wrong: it never goes above 195 miles on a 100% charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I think you will find that you would need to charge around 20-25 charges before the batteries are at their optimum. 195 is a lot less what BMW claim.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
My iX3 is not playing nicely with my Zappi 2. In Eco++ and Fast modes, the charge starts and then stops some minutes later. When I click lock on the key fob, the car’s display flashes Red and tells me to ‘Check the Charging Cable’. If I unplug the cable and re-insert it, charging starts normally and then stops after a period of time. MyEnergi has agreed to replace the tethered cable as there have been a couple of forum reports of a damaged comms lead but I am not 100% sure that this is the issue?

Out of interest, there is a label on the inside of the charging port that shows a plug icon with 2 secs alongside it. I haven’t a clue what this is supposed to tell me. Any thoughts?

I found below quote in an advise document to the Indian Ministry of Transport. Extending the note, maybe the 2sec indication is a warning on residual power after disconnecting?

7.2.3.1 Disconnection of EV
One second after having disconnected the EV from the supply (mains), the voltage between accessible conductive parts or any accessible conductive part and earth shall be less than or equal to 42,4 V peak, or 60 V d.c., and the stored energy available shall be less than 20 J (see IS 13252/IEC 60950). If the voltage is greater than 42,4 V peak (30 V rms) or 60 V d.c., or the energy is 20 J or more, a warning label shall be attached in an appropriate position.”
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00