BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2021, 02:51 AM   #1
Øyvind.h
Registered
Rep
Drives: IX3 2021

Dashcam installation - warnings about consumption?

I recently installet Blackvue 750S 2ch in my IX3.

After installation I get a warning on my main screen about idle power consumption and deactivation of comfort functions (probably mobile app connection etc) due to power consumption while car is parked and off.
The warning advices me to contact service if the problem persists.

I guess the car monitors and discover 12V parked consumption higher than anticipated, and warns about an possible issue with the car.

Anyone have suggestions how to resolve this? Small extra 12V in the back? Blackvue powerbank (which by the way is tiny)?
Tap some other fuse or go directly to the 12v battery under the hood? I don`t want to draw cables through the torpedo wall as it`s not very easy to do, I`ll risk leaks and I`m not sure it will solve the problem as the cameras will stil draw 12V (but maybe avoid power draw monitoring?) Not sure if the car monitors the fuse box or overall voltage. Camera consumption is about 7,2Ah per day.

Last edited by Øyvind.h; 06-29-2021 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

This is exactly the issue I encounter when intermittently charging on my solarpanels. The explanation given by BMW is that it does that to save the auxiliary 12V battery. I still haven’t had an explanation why issues with the 400VDC battery has an impact on the 12VDC battery. I take it the 12VDC feeds the OBC and needs to be “kept alive” in order to make the car run when needed. From this I concluded it looks at the voltage on the battery terminals, so wiring it directly would not solve your problem. It could be an exact copy of this warning in ICE’s. Curious if this happens in ICE’s as well.

What I do not understand is why f.e. the remote communication with the car is disabled. No pre-conditioning I can understand, but why no longer the possibility of opening/closing via the app? It also blocks the opening with iPhone/Card and the “approach control” with the keys.

So I guess your way out is to feed the cam with its own battery. 7,2 Ah/24 hr is substantial, but on the other hand if they fitted a similar capacity as the would in an ICE, it would be an 40+Ah battery. So 7,2Ah is relatively a lot but on the other hand there is no startmotor to operate? I can’t find anywhere how much an OBC uses to operate so it is hard to judge what the allowance for “other users” can be. I will try to find the auxiliary battery to see what the capacity is. But my guess is it is the the same as in other X3 types to keep design simple.

I suggest to report it to your dealer in order to see if Engineering can rethink the setting of this alarm/protection.

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 06-30-2021 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my question is also consumption related. I am due to take delivery of my Premier Edition at the end of this month. I am wondering whether it makes sense to install a BMW Trackstar from a 12 volt battery consumption point of view.

I assume like the i3, the iX3 has a DC to DC Converter?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:50 AM   #4
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my question is also consumption related. I am due to take delivery of my Premier Edition at the end of this month. I am wondering whether it makes sense to install a BMW Trackstar from a 12 volt battery consumption point of view.

I assume like the i3, the iX3 has a DC to DC Converter?

Interesting question. If the 12V battery is charged from the 400V battery pack I am puzzled why it indicates any problem of exceptional power drain on the 12V when connected to a charger? It should be able to maintain the 12V tension easily.

I hope BMW comes with an answer one of these days. I have quit charging on “solar power only” and set my charger such that it uses the majority from my solarpanels. Not what I what but at least that by-passes my issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Interesting question. If the 12V battery is charged from the 400V battery pack I am puzzled why it indicates any problem of exceptional power drain on the 12V when connected to a charger? It should be able to maintain the 12V tension easily.

I hope BMW comes with an answer one of these days. I have quit charging on “solar power only” and set my charger such that it uses the majority from my solarpanels. Not what I what but at least that by-passes my issue.
The i3 12 volt battery is only charged when the DC to DC converter kicks in. Simply, unlocking/locking a door should fire up the converter.

The problem with dash cams; trackers etc is that they are a constant 12 volt drain. As far as the i3 is concerned, BMW has built in a safeguard if the 12 volt battery is flat PROVIDED that there is a nearby EVSE. Manually opening the charging flap and connecting the charging cable will charge up the 12 volt battery in about 40 minutes such that the EV can be powered up and driven.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

I have figured out that the 12VDC battery is charged when the 400 VDC is being charged. I still haven’t had any reply as to why the protection of the 12V system is considered so critical it limits options when the charging is intermittent.

Next step is finding out the capacity of the 12V system. Next time I clean the car I will lift the bonnet to look for it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
This is exactly the issue I encounter when intermittently charging on my solarpanels. The explanation given by BMW is that it does that to save the auxiliary 12V battery. I still haven’t had an explanation why issues with the 400VDC battery has an impact on the 12VDC battery. I take it the 12VDC feeds the OBC and needs to be “kept alive” in order to make the car run when needed. From this I concluded it looks at the voltage on the battery terminals, so wiring it directly would not solve your problem. It could be an exact copy of this warning in ICE’s. Curious if this happens in ICE’s as well.

I have only just picked up on this as I having been having the same message when charging my iX3 on Eco++ (Zappi2). What I find strange is that a similar message never appeared on the i3. The i3 had a DC to DC converter which charged the 12 volt battery. Simply, unlocking/locking the door would turn the DC converter on for 30 minutes.

I used to own a 5 series and I got a similar message if the vehicle had only been used for short journeys. I eventually gave in and purchased a trickle battery charger. I am not sure that 12 volt charging is permitted on the iX3: it wasn’t on the i3 but I know that clever people than me made it work.

The i3 has a built in 12 volt battery charging mode if the battery goes flat. After manually unlocking the charging door and plugging in a 7kW EVSE, the system will recharge the 12 volt battery. After about 30mins BMW say that it should be possible to power up the car. I am still wading through the handbook to see if this is the same with the iX3.
Appreciate 0