BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

rear door pull replacement - GC

Hi All!

Has anyone replaced a rear door pull on their gran coupe? See picture from Real OEM below, I'm referring to #4. Dealer says the panel has to come off to do this... Just curious.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Correct the panel needs to be removed, the door pull is secured by the window switch which is attached to the panel via a plastic white pin that can only be removed with the panel off the car.

If they’re billing you for more than 1hr (to remove and reinstall), ask them if a happy ending is included ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thx Igor!

Yeah 2hrs to remove and reinstall :/. Ordered the pull so may try my hand at this.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok everyone. I ended up doing this myself. It wasn't as hard as I initially thought. Below is a breakdown of the process. This may not be the most efficient but worked for me, and I did not break anything .

Total time was about 1.5hrs.

First step, I taped all my trim using blue painters tape. Better to be safe than sorry.

Next I popped the door panel out. Note, I did not fully remove, as I only needed access to the under-side.

Once the panel is out, you gain access to the pin holding both the pull and the window button trim. The pin easily pulls out with a pair of needle nose. You will also see the blue window button plug. Go ahead and disconnect this. Also note there is a little lock washer type deal on the front of the window button trim. I pulled it off with needle nose.

Next, I recommend removing the 3 screws that hold in the carbon fiber trim. They are very easy to see. I think it was a T26 torx screw. I actually only circled one of the carbon trim screws (the first one on the left). The other 2 are part of the door panel clips. These will also need removed as they are attached to the pull handle.

Now, carefully pry the pull and window button trim, until they pop from the retention clips. There are 2 metal clips holding the side closest to the seat in. Since I didn't remove the panel fully, I did not replace these, as I could not see how they attached (#15 in the real oem diagram). This is what it should look like.

Also note, I did not loosen the carbon trim before pulling out the pieces. I think it is better to loosen the carbon trim first looking back as you will need to remove it to reinstall the new parts regardless.

*I always hate this part* Installation is just the reverse procedure. No, it's not that simple... You do need a bit of patience... You have to line the carbon trim up with the new pieces, then gradually reinstall front to back until everything snaps back in place. This took me the longest, because I did not want to break any tabs. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Here's the final result!

I really hope this helps someone!

I have no idea how mine got cracked in the first place. It looks like the PO may have put something long in the back seat and it smacked the trim. I could also see some screw driver pry marks where someone attempted to pull them out previously.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00