BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Convertible

Strange vibration/shaking

Although I recently put a new set of MICHELIN PILOT SPORT tires on my 6, I don't think it's an out of balance tire situation.

Last week I made my first longish trip in my 2014 650i convertible. I noticed tire vibration between 65 & 85 mph and noted that I'd have to get them rebalanced as soon as possible.

The day after I arrived in Asheville, NC, I had a high pressure fuel pump failure and ended up being towed to the local BMW dealership. While it was in the shop, I asked them to do a high-speed balance on the tires.

Driving back to Florida via interstate highways yesterday I noticed improved tire balance on flat and level roads, but something weird on inclines.

On interstate highways, I almost always set the cruise control, as I did yesterday. So on flat & level, as well as descents, no issues, but on inclines, there was a very noticeable vibration/shaking that seemed to go in and out of phase until I crested the hill. This would always happen as the cruise control adjusted power to maintain speed up the inclines.

So, I'm wondering what else it could be. So many things are rotating. Thought about engine and transmission mounts, drive shaft, U-joints, axels, etc.

I honestly don't know if this is a new thing as I haven't taken the car on a trip like this since purchasing it about 9 months ago. Anyone with similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Mine will get that driveline shake if it doesn't downshift on a incline and is between 1500 and 1800 rpm. I have seen many people comment or complain about this, and many people get mad when BMW won't "fix it" for them. It is very rare on mine, and only at low RPMs lugging up a hill, so I am not worried about it. I also don't notice it if in Sport or Sport+ mode, probably because the RPMs are higher.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #3
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I am one of those people that got mad BMW wouldn't fix it. They didn't want to spend the $10K it costs to fix. Here is a link to the Summary that also links to the entire thread.
https://www.6post.com/forums/showthr...ight=alpine650

Bottom line is it is the Torque Converter, but as the BMW engineer told me it is "within tolerance".
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
Bottom line is it is the Torque Converter, but as the BMW engineer told me it is "within tolerance".
Simple! They just want you to adjust your tolerance level!

Hope my experience with the mothership isn't the same. As an aside, BMW did step up on the HPFP replacement. That was done at no cost. I have no factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They soaked me for $2K worth of wheel straightening, balancing, 2 tires, 2 wheels, and then a drive shaft on their dime. But in the end - there was no problem with the car!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:09 AM   #6
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I never considered changing the drive mode. Next time I'm in a similar circumstance, I'll try Sport or Sport+. I was in Comfort+ the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Better than Sport Mode to eliminate the shaking is pull the transmission lever toward you into M/S.
Appreciate 0