BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Possible 2018 M6

I was out looking at the M550i and they have this a CPO.

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2018-BMW...7586?zip=92646

2018 M6

22,000 miles

Comp Package
Driving Assistance
Executive Package
Parking Assistant
20" Wheels

What is maintenance going to be like, am I crazy?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Expect about $1000 per year between maintenance and repair costs, averaged out over a 3 year horizon.
      10-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
My wife has a 550 Msport and I offered to take her car to let her go buy anohter but she is still very smitten with it. It has been incredibly reliable as a daily driver and have no regrets with it. Like you I was shopping the 550's and found the M6GC and I love the car which mean it has been terrible to me but the make up driving has been phenomoinal.

If you think you are going to have the cr beyond the manuf warranty and cpo coverage I strobly urge you to find a great exclusinary aftermarket warranty that will cover in the event of a engine replacement. Even the stock non-tuned engines have a tendancy to have rod bearig issues. I have had my own experience with it and personally know several other folks that have had similar experiences. Mine had rod bearings done before I bought it and I still ended up with a failure. As always result will vary but I have seen things now

Even with the premium of the engine swap I had to deal with my wife and I thoroughly enjoy going out in this car and knowing what we know now would do it again.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Damn that looks gorgeous. I'd have a very hard time passing that one up.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoub View Post
I'm not sure the cost roughly a $1000.00 per year!
It all depends on how the car was driven/ maintained.
the car has an active lane change option!! Pretty impressive, interestingly enough l have 2018 fully loaded but not this feature!

Have you decided going forward with your purchase make sure to get all maintenance history & if l may give a little secret, if you know someone at any BMW dealers simply give them the VIN & they will get all info's about the car in question.

Good luck.
I've owned a E90 M3, F06 M6 and a E70 X5. Across all 3 cars, out of warranty, I'm averaging out to $1000 a year for fixes and maintenance. How were they driven? 5k-8k a year for for the M cars and 10k for X5.

My costs includes work I've done myself, taken to indie and work at dealerships.

Long term this is how much it costs for BMW ownership.

If you don't think it's $1k a year, what do you think it is over a 3 to 5 year horizon?
      10-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoub View Post
I'm not sure the cost roughly a $1000.00 per year!
It all depends on how the car was driven/ maintained.
the car has an active lane change option!! Pretty impressive, interestingly enough l have 2018 fully loaded but not this feature!

Have you decided going forward with your purchase make sure to get all maintenance history & if l may give a little secret, if you know someone at any BMW dealers simply give them the VIN & they will get all info's about the car in question.

Good luck.
That red highlight box is the steering adjustment and not active lane assistance, none of our 6's have it unless you opt for the SLEEK AND SEXY GT

That button changes your steering weight between comfort/sport/sport plus
Comfort feels perfect to me, its what you'd feel in a 650/aplina in sport mode, sport and sport plus are arm exercises

As for overall maintenance , CPO should have you covered, buy extra bottles of oil and put it in the trunk for emergency fill-ups, buy a tire patch kit from BMW in case wheels pop (knock on wood), and I often do low-mileage oil changes in between the free services so the car stays top notch, you might wanna push the dealer to swap the air filters as well upon purchase so your cabin doesn't smell funky

But 1000 seems a little too high, maybe 500 bucks is enough!
Appreciate 2