BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
G8DUDE
Rep
Drives: IOM 08 G8GT

Used M6 Gran Coupe/Modded

Hello All,

I've found a 2015 M6 Gran Coupe competition pack in my price range and specs that I've been looking for. I've wanted one for a while now. I recently owned a 2009 335i M-sport, although a fun car, it was a maintenance nightmare and money pit. I currently drive a 2019 Charger Scatpack that I bought last year new after selling the 09 335i and 07 HCI Z06 2 car combo I had. Moved to a rental so couldn't have 2 cars and the scatpack was a great bang for the buck at the time. The 392 really sounds great, gets good highway mileage, and has pretty decent tech but is not a good platform to build power and the handling is pretty sub-par. Had a supercharged Pontiac G8 GT before that those 2 cars.

This M6 gran coupe has tune, catless downpipes, akrapovich exhaust, carbon diffuser and spoiler, and is loaded with the exec pack and B&O sound system. It's got about 47K miles and they are asking $45,750. I'm hesitant to buy another BMW out of warranty after the 335i, especially with it being modded already and unsure of how beaten on it was. In comparison I'm thinking the M6 should be more reliable than the N54? Any of you buy used M6 out of warranty and could share your experiences? The other cars on my radar are used Charger Hellcat, widebody Hellcat (Charger or Challenger), CTS-V, or buy another C6 vette to mod and keep the Scatpack.

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50
      04-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I am at 70k miles on my 13 M6 convertible. its been the best german car i have ever owned so far. it does require routine maintenance to keep it alive and well however. I am currently modded as well with DME stage 2, catless, full FI valvetronic exhaust, and eventuri intakes. I have had the car for about 20k miles and have loved it. do you plugs and coils every other oil change, and do your oil changes consistently at 3-3.4k miles. change the front 02 sensors every 10-15k. fcpeuro makes it pretty affordable to own one of these cars nowadays.

The major Achilles heel of this car though is the engine failure issues that are rather sudden. if it has high engine oil consumption, thats a sign. anything over 650 wheel is probably going to be territory for damage. even stock cars will fail. but proper maintenance will help go a long way hopefully.

In my honest opinion the M6 is the best luxury sports car. its beautiful inside and out, and has more than enough power to give me the white knuckle experience i crave once in a while. However if I only care about winning races or speed, i would get the vette. anything LS based is going to be 1 million more times reliable.

But again if you want a little more out of a car with say full bolt ons the M6 is a good choice
SisuM61.50
      04-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

When I was looking for mine I personally made sure to buy the car completely stock. I don't like the idea of buying a modded car cause you just don't know how hard it was driven and how well it was maintained.

I found a clean 15 Cpo 2 years ago. It was mint and stock everything. I even checked under the car to see if there was any welding.

The above comment kinda of said it all. Oil changes every 3-3.5k. Spark plugs need to be swapped out much sooner with modded cars.

I've had jb4 and got rid of it for the Bm3 flash. Meisterschaft exhaust and downpipes. Project gamma front mount intakes. I got it with 27k and it now has 36k. It's been under warranty the whole time and the only work I had done is crankcase valve vents. Engine was burning a quart of oil every 600-800 miles. I went 2900 miles now without eating a quart after.

I absolutely love it. It's a beast. Eye candy. Most importantly the ladies love it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Why not try to negotiate some aftermarket warranty coverage into the deal?

Perhaps if you replaced the downpipes with stock, and removed any tune, it could pass an inspection. Exhaust systems usually not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
G8DUDE
Rep

Thanks guys, great input. More maintenance than normal I can deal with. So the power limit is essentially 650 rwhp before I’m taking my chances with engine failure? How about the clutch packs at that power?

Can’t deny it’s very easy on the eyes and about the sexiest 4 door I can think of, huge part of its appeal. The DCT, plush interior, and space for the family are all big factors too. Does the price for year and specs seem reasonable? Getting an aftermarket warranty included in the deal is a great suggestion. This doesn’t need to be a drag strip demon but I’d like to be able to hang with pretty much anything I might find on the highway and a 1/2 mile event seems like it could be fun in this car. I could always get another C6 vette for a more dedicated track car down the road or even a base C8 after a while.
Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50
      04-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8DUDE View Post
Thanks guys, great input. More maintenance than normal I can deal with. So the power limit is essentially 650 rwhp before I’m taking my chances with engine failure? How about the clutch packs at that power?

Can’t deny it’s very easy on the eyes and about the sexiest 4 door I can think of, huge part of its appeal. The DCT, plush interior, and space for the family are all big factors too. Does the price for year and specs seem reasonable? Getting an aftermarket warranty included in the deal is a great suggestion. This doesn’t need to be a drag strip demon but I’d like to be able to hang with pretty much anything I might find on the highway and a 1/2 mile event seems like it could be fun in this car. I could always get another C6 vette for a more dedicated track car down the road or even a base C8 after a while.
If it’s the car I’m thinking of it’s the right color...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
G8DUDE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSTAR_007 View Post
If it’s the car I’m thinking of it’s the right color...
Yep, I'm sure that's the one
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8DUDE View Post

650rwhp is a good safe number before you start breaking things actively i would say. after that you will start to slip the clutch in the dct. there is an upgrade clutch pack though, SSP seems to be the best upgrade. dont do any dig runs with really with R compound tires, like the R888R or cup2 tires, if you rock super sports or even P4s, you will be fine and not have t worry about breaking axles. if you want to start pushing more power i highly suggest meth injection to aid in cooling the charge air, and that is the territory for engine failure.

So 650rwhp is the target for a "low maintenance" "safe" car. it will keep up with almost everything else on the highway for sure. the car at the crank for 650rwhp should be around 750 crank horsepower. you will absolutely be able to keep up with demons and other high horsepower cars. the DCT will give you a big edge. also dont concern yourself so much with peak numbers on this car, because its delivers a very flat power curve through the whole band!

I havent taken down many cars in my area but i have only lost to another M5 that i know, and it was a monster in sheeps clothing.

you will not be disappointed at all in this car, guaranteed!
      06-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
SisuM6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2014 M6  [0.00]
Did you ever get the car? Ive had my '14 M6 a year now with Enzo tune here in NY may 660-680 crank and no problems 51k miles now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0