BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Change Interval Service Due Date

Is this possible on my own or does it have to be coded? I am up to date but it still comes on.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What is it saying or can you post a pic?

If it is one of the CBS (condition based services)...then "possibly" yes...you can do an instrument cluster procedure to pull up the CBS screens...and if the text is in white (instead of gray)...you can usually change that info (or answer the question yes/no/etc)...which can set the new date for the next time for service.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What is it saying or can you post a pic?

If it is one of the CBS (condition based services)...then "possibly" yes...you can do an instrument cluster procedure to pull up the CBS screens...and if the text is in white (instead of gray)...you can usually change that info (or answer the question yes/no/etc)...which can set the new date for the next time for service.
It just says next service due 10/19 in bottom right of dash. Ill snap a pic shortly
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Are you saying that you recently had performed maintenance and that you need to reset the next service reminder mileage and date?

If yes, then this

If the reminder had already been reset for you after the service, I would not mess around with it. BMWs are on conditions based servicing, meaning depending on your driving behavior the engine computer uses sensor data points and calculates how much wear is on the car and when certain maintenance items need to be replaced.

So for example, my M6 is only driven for 4,000 mi over the course of this year. At the 12-month mark, the reminder indicated I still had at least 10,000 more miles to go until the next oil change, and about 8 more months. For me I decided to change it at the 13-month mark regardless of what the indicator said, but that's just because I prefer 12-month oil changes at a minimum. After my oil change I reset the indicator and it shows the next maintenance cycle mileage and due date.

All this is an estimate, however, but I've owned a CBS BMW since 2010, and have for the most part the CBS indicators are correct.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 03-03-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Are you saying that you recently had performed maintenance and that you need to reset the next service reminder mileage and date?

If yes, then this

If the reminder had already been reset for you after the service, I would not mess around with it. BMWs are on conditions based servicing, meaning depending on your driving behavior the engine computer calculates how much where is on the car and when certain maintenance items need to be replaced. So for example, my M6 what's only driven for 4,000 mi over the course of this year. At the 12-month mark, the reminder indicated I still had at least 4,000 more miles to go until the next oil change, or about 6 more months. For me I decided to change it at the 13-month mark regardless of what the indicator said. but that's just because I prefer 12-month oil changes at a minimum. After my oil change I reset the indicator. Now it says the next maintenance is due in about 13,000 mi and 15 months or so.
Thanks. I am due for an oil change and will have it addressed. I am changing at every 3k miles or so and unfortunately drive it on nice days about 100 miles a week. Is that a good measure on oil? Too early? Too late?

Engine seizing makes me paranoid
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Most of M6 owners are likely on the short OCI cycle. Regardless of oil used, I've read that you should change the oil once every 12-month at a minimum. Now this might me an adage as oil tech has gotten better.

Obviously, even BMW changes the oil past the 12-month milestone for short OCIs as indicated by the CBS. But I follow the adage despite the new tech and improvements made to synthetics. Remember, the key reasons to use these type of premium synthetics are because they add all sorts of anti-friction compounds in the oil to reduce wear. Over time and use these compounds break down. The long use synthetics has more robust compound additives to ensure amounts are left over in the oil over this presumed baseline usage interval.
      03-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

For reference....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

WHICH service is overdue? You need to go into iDrive and/or the CBS screen (directions given in the video) and first find what service needs to be reset.

Once you know which service is overdue...then scroll through the CBS screen to find it, then reset it (if possible) if the work has been done. As seen in the video...it will tell you if it is possible to reset the service or not. Hopefully its not so long overdue that it will require hooking up to BMW proprietary diagnostic equipment (or aftermarket diagnostic software/hardware).

BTW, to those that don't know... the CBS (condition based services) do NOT automatically reset when you have the work done. After performing the service...you (or the mechanic that did the work) has to go in and reset it manually.

Here's a link to the TIS website that gives written instructions about the CBS reset procedure that can be done in the car...take note of the requirements to be able to do this (its next to the big blue "i" {for INFORMATION}): https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/1LiqKi85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
For reference....
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-05-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Yikes - i should have known that. I kept using check control and nothing would come up. So it was brake fluid - everything else checks out. Is it time for a flush or is this just a reminder type that isnt necessary. I dont track and drive it about 100 miles per week

Thank YOU!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... it was brake fluid - everything else checks out. Is it time for a flush or is this just a reminder type that isnt necessary. I dont track and drive it about 100 miles per week

Thank YOU!!
Brake fluid changes are done on a "time" interval...not mileage. So determine when (if ever) the last time the brake fluid was changed. It used to be a 2 yr interval for brake fluid...but BMW may have upped it to every 3 years. So if the brake fluid hasn't been changed in the last 3 years...yeah, I would suggest that you have the brake fluid changed, then reset the CBS so that it begins tracking correctly for the next brake fluid change.

Just an FYI for those that may not know...brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture). That is why it is recommended to change your brake fluid every 2-3 years.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
... it was brake fluid - everything else checks out. Is it time for a flush or is this just a reminder type that isnt necessary. I dont track and drive it about 100 miles per week

Thank YOU!!
Brake fluid changes are done on a "time" interval...not mileage. So determine when (if ever) the last time the brake fluid was changed. It used to be a 2 yr interval for brake fluid...but BMW may have upped it to every 3 years. So if the brake fluid hasn't been changed in the last 3 years...yeah, I would suggest that you have the brake fluid changed, then reset the CBS so that it begins tracking correctly for the next brake fluid change.

Just an FYI for those that may not know...brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture). That is why it is recommended to change your brake fluid every 2-3 years.

Im on it, thanks for this.
Appreciate 0