BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

One off heated wheel retrofit done...

Finished this mod just before christmas, so thought I should post it....

I bought my F06 M6GC 12 months ago and when the cold weather came I was peed off I forgot to order the heated steering wheel option (ok, a small problem, but it still got under my skin).

So I though - could be a project? Retrofit the optional heated wheel maybe? I wanted to get the BMW Performance full alcantara wheel, but that isn't available heated - and it costs a shed load of money.

1... I bought a standard M6 heated wheel and had it retrimmed by an expert UK trimmer (royalsteeringwheels.com) in the exact same shade of black alcantara and blue leather stripe as used by BMW suppliers, same tri-colour stitching (maybe better quality too), so it looks as good as OE but is still 2/3 the price of BMWP wheel from BMW and it's heated!!

2... Bought the column switch for wheel heating, small loom and the wheel controller module

3... Also bought the BMWP carbon steering wheel trim

4... Also bought extended paddles in matt black from Autotecknic (while i'm at it...)

5... Fitted it all - easy!

Well, not so easy, my car didn't have lane departure so there is no power supply to the wheel for the "vibrator" which is the same supply for heating.

I had to do a lot of research on the wiring and circuitry and make up a extra lead (pins not present in switch cluster) all using BMW parts though.

6... Code the car for the new option: Add option 248 to the VO. Indicator switch cluster is a codable module "SZL" and it handles the heating commands.

7... Hey presto! cosy warm hands and a unique heated alcantara wheel!!
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-11-2017 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
JakeBMW11.50
JLR19691877.00
      01-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Nice job dude!

Any more pics of your interior? Looks like Aragon Brown leather? Also looks like matching IND floor mats?

Alcantara wheels are the best things ever but just have to keep up on the cleaning, skin oils can make them really nasty over a long period of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Thanks kbc.

Yep it's aragon brown (on San Marino). Doesn't photograph well, looks orange in pictures but it's not. The matching edged floor mats were just standard with the car, not extras. It has IND black grills and side markers though.

I had a part alcantara wheel on my previous E63 AMG and loved it, a gentle clean and dry every few months keeps it perfect. Clean hands help too.

Will post some pics up...
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-11-2017 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
dbakez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F12

doughboy, Great work! I have a huge favor, would you mind sharing how you overcame the "no power supply to the wheel for the "vibrator" which is the same supply for heating." I have the same issue. I just bought a heated when for my 2012 BMW F13. If you could explain or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi dbakez,

You need to use spare pins on the airbag socket to get the new supply into wheel and onto the heater control module as per circuit diagrams.

Some people run a new supply from the supply system in the footwell, but it was too difficult for me. I just use the supply from the cigar lighter in the centre armest. Is it an ignition on 12v supply.

So I added 2 new wires into the back of the SZL module then ran them behind the centre console trim and into the armrest cubby hole then attach a cigar lighter adaptor and plugged it in. bingo.

Do you know the pin numbers on the szl to use?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
dbakez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F12

Doughboy, Thanks for responding. No I dont know what pin numbers to use on the SZL module. I haven't gotten my parts from Ebay yet, I just ordered them this past Saturday. I'm guessing you didnt take any pictures during your DIY to show what you just explained :-). What type if wire did you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi, try this thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1146335

Read it all and see what's involved.

That's where I started, its essentially the same as the F30 3 series except the coding will be different, you'll see my posts there too.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Dazza993
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport - Phytonic

I'm tempted but since your "20 minute" job to fit a wireless charging plate in the glove box took me an hour and a half I think I'll just get a pair of gloves

There seems to be absolutely no way that the velvety bit inside the central storage bin was willing to move on my car. Mine's a 2014 car so I don't know if it's different.

What was good about this post was to see was the carbon fibre trim for the steering wheel. I initially thought this replaced the silver painted bit but I can see that it's the bigger black plastic bit that's replaced with a carbon piece.

Is this an official BMW replacement part of did you get that elsewhere?

Aragon brown isn't a colour you'd have thought worked well with quite a vivid blue but it does look very nice.

It's a very pretty looking car you have there. Are you running any spacers on the standard wheels? I've got 10(F) & 20(R) on my 19" winter set (408M) and had been thinking of putting maybe a 10mm on the rear when I go back to the 20" rims come spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I have the M Performance Electric Steering Wheel and I was bummed the heating is not available. So re-upholstering a wheel isn't an option for me.

Just curious, how easy was it to remove the paddles? Does the wheel have to also come off?
      02-06-2018, 02:30 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza993 View Post
There seems to be absolutely no way that the velvety bit inside the central storage bin was willing to move on my car. Mine's a 2014 car so I don't know if it's different.

CF wheel trim - Is this an official BMW replacement part of did you get that elsewhere?

Aragon brown isn't a colour you'd have thought worked well with quite a vivid blue but it does look very nice.

It's a very pretty looking car you have there. Are you running any spacers on the standard wheels? I've got 10(F) & 20(R) on my 19" winter set (408M) and had been thinking of putting maybe a 10mm on the rear when I go back to the 20" rims come spring.
I didn't remove the cubby hole liner, I ran the wires from the steering column and in behind the leather side trim on the centre console on drivers side then popped it into the cubby hole where i put a cigar lighter adaptor plug on the end and plugged it into the cigar socket, not disturbing the car wiring. Mines a lease car so it needs to be easy to remove when it goes back!

CF steering trim is official BMW part. Item 2 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_0099

Also DCT shifter cover in carbon. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_0064

Thanks, yes the colour is a bit wacky, the aragon always looks orange in photos but it's a really a tan colour. I'm tired of black/grey/silver/white/more black yawn. It a lease anyway, so I don't care if people are put off!

No spacers fitted, standard wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I have the M Performance Electric Steering Wheel and I was bummed the heating is not available. So re-upholstering a wheel isn't an option for me.

Just curious, how easy was it to remove the paddles? Does the wheel have to also come off?
You can get the paddles off with the wheel on, but you have to remove the airbag first, but once you've done that its only a 30 second job to take the wheel off. One centre bolt, undo a couple of connectors and it lifts straight off (it's keyed so you can't put it back in the wrong position)

Then its much easier to work on the wheel on a bench.

Last edited by doughboy; 02-06-2018 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #11
Timah1982
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Hi Doughboy, i am just doing this retrofit to my F11 and like the way you pulled the power from the cigarette lighter. I;m doing the same as its just easier that way. Which plug and pins numbers did you feed them into on the back of the SZL to then use the spare pins on the airbag socket?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:31 AM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow. This is what I needed. I have the alcantara wheel too, and the heating element was unplugged. Wonder if it does damage as mine is the electronic wheel
      10-31-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timah1982 View Post
Hi Doughboy, i am just doing this retrofit to my F11 and like the way you pulled the power from the cigarette lighter. I;m doing the same as its just easier that way. Which plug and pins numbers did you feed them into on the back of the SZL to then use the spare pins on the airbag socket?
Hi, let me have a look, I thought I posted it up somewhere, was a few years ago now...
Appreciate 0