BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

I want it louder

So just got my wife’s M6 convertible today. It’s a competition package. Is there a quick solution to make it louder? I don’t really want to spend $4000 for an Akrapovic system.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I guess it really depends on how loud you want it. Muffler delete of some sort would probably be the quickest route. It’s subjective as to whether that mod makes for a better tone although it would be louder. I would not just hack the muffler off though. Look into SOUL Performance & Tuner Motorsport for their axle back systems. You can find video clips on YouTube with both set up’s. To really wake these cars up you’ll need to go catless.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
So just got my wife’s M6 convertible today. It’s a competition package. Is there a quick solution to make it louder? I don’t really want to spend $4000 for an Akrapovic system.
I cut mufflers and resonators off , and im good . I would never spend 4k for a exaust.
      11-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnk60 M6 View Post
Quote:
So just got my wife's M6 convertible today. It's a competition package. Is there a quick solution to make it louder? I don't really want to spend $4000 for an Akrapovic system.
I cut mufflers and resonators off , and im good . I would never spend 4k for a exaust.
Rookie question - you have no muffler or exhaust tips at all, or am i missing something lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So just got my wife's M6 convertible today. It's a competition package. Is there a quick solution to make it louder? I don't really want to spend $4000 for an Akrapovic system.
Rookie question - you have no muffler or exhaust tips at all, or am i missing something lol
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course I have tips , from engine back its straight pipe , with 4 inch tips in back . Excuse my pics, they come out on the forum crazy looking, must be a setting on my phone I need to change .
Attached Images

11-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course I have tips , from engine back its straight pipe , with 4 inch tips in back . Excuse my pics, they come out on the forum crazy looking, must be a setting on my phone I need to change .
Got ya
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 02:33 AM   #7
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

I have been contemplating a lot on this subject, at first, I just didn't think muffler delete would be the right choice for a car like this and did a lot of research and talked to many owners who had the axle-back system I was looking into buying. After spending a good amount of time doing such, I have concluded that I would give it a try on the muffler delete and I am glad that I did that.

Before I gave this a go, I was considering RPI GTM Exhaust and GTHaus.

the cost was a fraction of what I would have ended up paying for the exhaust system mentioned above and one thing I was concerned about the most "drone" wasn't bad at all. Just some droning in the 2k rpm range but it's not even bad. the loudness was just enough to where it won't bother my neighbor at the cold start (it's loud enough that it may bother them but the cold start is short so I think it's ok ) and the WOT sound was just loud and a great sound to my ears. I don't know how much it will be different to get turner sports or soul performance muff delete system but as of right now, I don't feel that I need to do anything else. I know some people remove resonator but I just think that's just going to be way too loud.

Many people say downpipe is the best way to get the best sounding from this machine but I have 5 years warranty on the car so I didn't want that to be voided.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
I have been contemplating a lot on this subject, at first, I just didn't think muffler delete would be the right choice for a car like this and did a lot of research and talked to many owners who had the axle-back system I was looking into buying. After spending a good amount of time doing such, I have concluded that I would give it a try on the muffler delete and I am glad that I did that.

the cost was a fraction of what I would have ended up paying for the exhaust system mentioned above and one thing I was concerned about the most "drone" wasn't bad at all. Just some droning in the 2k rpm range but it's not even bad. the loudness was just enough to where it won't bother my neighbor at the cold start (it's loud enough that it may bother them but the cold start is short so I think it's ok ) and the WOT sound was just loud and a great sound to my ears. I don't know how much it will be different to get turner sports or soul performance muff delete system but as of right now, I don't feel that I need to do anything else. I know some people remove resonator but I just think that's just going to be way too loud.

Many people say downpipe is the best way to get the best sounding from this machine but I have 5 years warranty on the car so I didn't want that to be voided.
Quote:

My exact feelings, I did straight pipe and I love it , and it cost under 1k, ( I changed tips twice ) best bang for the buck.
      11-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My exact feelings, I did straight pipe and I love it , and it cost under 1k, ( I changed tips twice ) best bang for the buck.
yep your car looks dope btw did you get 21 wheels on it? what are those wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

21x10 front and 21x12 rear Avant Garde wheels
      11-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I have a question in relation to loud exhausts etc, I previously had a 340i M and it had a M-Performance exhaust system on it. In sport mode when the valve was open it was distinctly louder, pops bangs, burrs. I have a just take owner ship of a M6GC and it also has a M-Performance exhaust but is much quieter than my 6 cycler. Is this normal?
Also is the M-Performance Exhaust made by Ackropovic as I have seen some threads saying it is.
Thanks for you help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisveal View Post
I have a question in relation to loud exhausts etc, I previously had a 340i M and it had a M-Performance exhaust system on it. In sport mode when the valve was open it was distinctly louder, pops bangs, burrs. I have a just take owner ship of a M6GC and it also has a M-Performance exhaust but is much quieter than my 6 cycler. Is this normal?
Also is the M-Performance Exhaust made by Ackropovic as I have seen some threads saying it is.
Thanks for you help in advance.
Are you talking about M340i? or 340i with M sports package?

I heard M340i is pretty loud and it's a newer gen engine I think, but one thing I must say is.. M3/M4 is not louder than M6 outside but the cabin sound was much louder and engaging whereas M6 is very quiet inside but it's actually pretty loud from outside, I owned E92 for a very short moment and I really missed the cabin experience with that car. So my underwhelming experience from the M6 Cabin was my main reason I wanted to get something done to get my car to rumble inside which I believe that I attained it by going straight pipe...if I were to add more to it in the future I think I need a new intake system and once the warranty is over maybe a downpipe upgrade..

M6 sound does not really wake up from stock or with axel back system upgrade only it seems. You can do your research and you will find most people that spent a good amount of money in Exhaust Mods weren't completely satisfied until they went like catless downpipe.. even the guy who worked on my exhaust told me that he has had many customers that brought in their M5 spent 5~8k on the exhaust and he felt that they were very underwhelming for its price point. He said unless I am going with the catless downpipe, going straight pipe is the best way and most efficient way to wake up the car based on his experience and if its not loud enough reso delete is the last resort before the downpipe upgrade

You will even find some people talking about their Akrapovic Exhaust not delivering the level/quality sound they were looking for..

I think M6 Mod community is much smaller compared to M3/M4 so I feel like we are limited with resource and man it really just gets very expensive lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Are you talking about M340i? or 340i with M sports package?

I heard M340i is pretty loud and it's a newer gen engine I think, but one thing I must say is.. M3/M4 is not louder than M6 outside but the cabin sound was much louder and engaging whereas M6 is very quiet inside but it's actually pretty loud from outside, I owned E92 for a very short moment and I really missed the cabin experience with that car. So my underwhelming experience from the M6 Cabin was my main reason I wanted to get something done to get my car to rumble inside which I believe that I attained it by going straight pipe...if I were to add more to it in the future I think I need a new intake system and once the warranty is over maybe a downpipe upgrade..

M6 sound does not really wake up from stock or with axel back system upgrade only it seems. You can do your research and you will find most people that spent a good amount of money in Exhaust Mods weren't completely satisfied until they went like catless downpipe.. even the guy who worked on my exhaust told me that he has had many customers that brought in their M5 spent 5~8k on the exhaust and he felt that they were very underwhelming for its price point. He said unless I am going with the catless downpipe, going straight pipe is the best way and most efficient way to wake up the car based on his experience and if its not loud enough reso delete is the last resort before the downpipe upgrade

You will even find some people talking about their Akrapovic Exhaust not delivering the level/quality sound they were looking for..

I think M6 Mod community is much smaller compared to M3/M4 so I feel like we are limited with resource and man it really just gets very expensive lol
I had the 340i M-Sport with the MPPSK Kit added to it. I was looking at catless downpipes and a M-Performance/Ackropovic exhaust as my first engine mods.
Then from there doing CAI and intercoolers. My understanding is its better to do the exhaust first as making the engine breath better/cooler doesn't help if you can't expel the gases well. So exhaust first then intake? Correct me if I am wrong as I am new to the M6.
I am not looking to screw every last HP out of it just wanting to make it breath better and perform better.
Cheers
Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:50 PM   #14
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisveal View Post
I had the 340i M-Sport with the MPPSK Kit added to it. I was looking at catless downpipes and a M-Performance/Ackropovic exhaust as my first engine mods.
Then from there doing CAI and intercoolers. My understanding is its better to do the exhaust first as making the engine breath better/cooler doesn't help if you can't expel the gases well. So exhaust first then intake? Correct me if I am wrong as I am new to the M6.
I am not looking to screw every last HP out of it just wanting to make it breath better and perform better.
Cheers
Chris
I am honestly not a MOD expert and fairly new to the M6 myself. I think there are many others that can give you a better insight on modding ideas and the proper steps or advice based on experience

GL!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #15
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

I will report my results next week. Car is going in for a tune and catless down pipes. Should make over 700 HP.
Appreciate 0