BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Verizon strong like bull.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615266.50
King Rudi13154.00
MKSixer34184.50
      06-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #24
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
DDOS or distributed denial of service is an attack where a particular service, device, server, etc is overwhelmed by a flood of network traffic.

Reading Now_Rudi 's article link, there is a bit more clarity on what happened. One of the circuits T-Mobile uses to send data traffic over had a failure. The way things were supposed to work is what I referenced above. ISPs connected over WAN circuits and the Internet backbone use a routing protocol called BGP (Border Gateway Protocol). BGP allows exchanges of route tables which tells routers at the ISPs how to direct traffic to its intended destination. Among the information exchanged by BGP is performance metrics and other data where the router can make an intelligent decision on where to send network traffic.

With the situation we're talking about here, that failed leased fiber should have been dealt with easily if everything was configured and working correctly as the router connected to that fiber would have distributed the network traffic appropriately to other network paths. So either something was missed by T-Mobile's engineers or someone F'd up and misconfigured their router(s).

It was the major fiber circuit that failed, turns out their fail safe backup also failed. This circuit is what controls their VoLTE. Basically is the voice only over LTE, which is why the calls only failed. So much for redundancy.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

looks like the phones are acting up again!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #26
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I switched to Spectrum, no problemos
Appreciate 0