BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Exclamation Need some help identifying a bolt.

I had a long approach walk up to the front of my car today and happened to notice something hanging down around the front center approximately under the radiator. It was sticking out from the belly pan and I though it was a cooling tank expansion tube or something from the AC cor condensation. Admittedly I am not under the car a lot as I have had the engine swapped and work out of the country pretty frequently for work.

The pictures below are of the bolt that I removed after returning home immediately after seeing it. I am hoping someone can give me a good idea of where it is installed. I'd like to work on it at home in the garage but given the size of the bolt I feel like I may need a lift or lifting tools that may not have on hand. I am not sure if this is a sub frame issue or something heavy.

I do have set of 4 Rennstands and a good floor jack and all sort of hand tools but just not sure what I may up against with this.
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
This is the bolt dangling from under the car. As I walked up it looked like a black tube but something in my head, likely OCD related, told me to bend down and take a look.
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
atillathetom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bike

I was under the car for 3 hours this weekend installing an M Performance exhaust and there were several of those holding up the covers under the motor. There were also some on the rear end. I would get under there and look.

I also noticed that one of mine was stripped out. Likely overtightened at some point. Since I just got the car I have no way of knowing. At some point I will retap the bolt hole and helicoil it but it is holding for now. You could have had the same issue.

I would suggest you just crawl under and look around.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

That could be a sub-frame bolt. I wouldnt think those could back out, but apparently my X5M front subframe bolts were loose.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathetom View Post
I was under the car for 3 hours this weekend installing an M Performance exhaust and there were several of those holding up the covers under the motor. There were also some on the rear end. I would get under there and look.

I also noticed that one of mine was stripped out. Likely overtightened at some point. Since I just got the car I have no way of knowing. At some point I will retap the bolt hole and helicoil it but it is holding for now. You could have had the same issue.

I would suggest you just crawl under and look around.
Congrats on the new to you car. My son and I plan on getting under it this weekend but I am bit worried may not be able to handle getting the repair done before I have to punch out of the country for work for a few months.

I recently replaced the soft touch door lock mechanism on my wifes 550i and the replacement part arrived from FCPEuro un-threaded so I had to make a quick trip to the hardware store for some additional tap tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlesteve View Post
That could be a sub-frame bolt. I wouldnt think those could back out, but apparently my X5M front subframe bolts were loose.
Dang! Appreciate ya chiming in on this. I'll see if I can find some diagrams of the subframe and try to match the bolt. Did you have any trouble reaching yours to tighten them up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Dang! Appreciate ya chiming in on this. I'll see if I can find some diagrams of the subframe and try to match the bolt. Did you have any trouble reaching yours to tighten them up.
Mine was under warranty so I had the dealer tighten them up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #8
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

if i had to guess, either a bolt to hold a pump or ancilary (AC, Alternator etc..) , or possibly a gearbox bolt.

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

My guess would be a bolt from one of the plates under there. If it's in the front there's a metal plate with 6 or 8 of those under the plastic plate under the motor. There's also a brace in the back under the rear diff that has them.
Appreciate 0