BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-02-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
Introextro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP San Marino

Thoughts about All Season Tires..

My GC just got hole in the sidewall. I have the MPS right now but i live in the NYC area and I am considering moving to all season tires in the hope that they will offer significantly better winter traction. Only fronts are being change right now. Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introextro View Post
My GC just got hole in the sidewall. I have the MPS right now but i live in the NYC area and I am considering moving to all season tires in the hope that they will offer significantly better winter traction. Only fronts are being change right now. Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
If you're not going drive in the snow, just for wet traction, MP4S is superb. There are different variations, choose the one with grade A for wet. It is far better than MPSS in the wet. I would continue to say it MPSS are borderline dangerous in the wet

Otherwise get a dedicated performance winter tyres like Pirelli Winter Sottozero or Michelin winter tyres or any heavy duty winter tyres
      01-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thanks, it seems though that i won't be able to drive the 4S in the winter in temps less than 40 F (4C). Not sure if that's accurate though
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

4s is a summer tire. You don't drive summer tires under 40F because the compound will get hard like a hockey puck; therefore, no traction. Go to tirerack.com to read more about it if you want more info.

You can do all session if you want just not as good in the summer and not good at all in the winter. It's a middle of the road tire. It's usually for economy cars.

If you want to run this car in the winter, you'll need performance winter tires. All session tires will not cut it when snow is on the ground.

This car requires dedicated summer tires for the summer, and winter tires for the winter if you want the car performs like it's designed.

I live in MN and NY's winter is somewhat similar to MN. I have 4s tires for summer and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec for winter. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec is currently the best performance Winter tires you can buy.

I wouldn't run all seasonal/summer tires in the winter on this car and I drive rear wheel drive cars for 15 years in MN. I saw so many accidents because people don't have proper tires for the winter.

Last edited by JC04; 01-03-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
bake601.50
      01-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thanks, appreciate it!

One of the joys of living around NYC is the complete lack of space and i just don't have enough keep two sets of tires. I will probably not drive my car much in the winters (definitely not on snow), and I just want a tire that'll not break apart if i am driving 10 miles in 35 degrees. I am willing to take the risk of traction but just want a reliable tire. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate it!

One of the joys of living around NYC is the complete lack of space and i just don't have enough keep two sets of tires. I will probably not drive my car much in the winters (definitely not on snow), and I just want a tire that'll not break apart if i am driving 10 miles in 35 degrees. I am willing to take the risk of traction but just want a reliable tire. Thanks!
If that's the case, then just buy the 4s tires. It's really good all the way down to 30-35F. I drove the 4s tires in the 35F rain in MN before and it was fine. However, the moment there's a light coat of snow on the streets, the 4s tires are useless. Do it at your own risk.

I'll give you another example, I bought a car in Oct with Michelin all season tires(really good tires) on it. I ordered a set of winter tires and was waiting for it. We usually don't get snow in early Oct here. I went to work and parked in a ramp. With my luck, we had a light snow that day. I had no choice but to slowly exiting the ramp circle, and my car slipped when it hit a patch of snow on the way down. I almost hit concert walls. I have more examples in my driving in the snow belt for over 20 years. Driving summer/all season tires in the winter is asking for it. It's not if but when.

Another option is to have the dealer hold your tires/winter set for a fee. Whatever you do, stay safe.

Last edited by JC04; 01-03-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Had the exact same thing happen to me - hit some debris flying off another car, driving late at night. Ripped the sidewall of my passenger front MPSS and took a nice chunk out of my wheel:

In this instance - having run-flats saved me a massive headache as I was able to nurse the car home. I was opposed to them before (came with the car) but I'm 50/50 now.

In either case, I'd picked up a set of OEM winter wheels + tires (shout out to @davidinnj top seller!). Appreciate you don't have the space for a second set of wheels, but for reference, I used the onboard TPMS and Tire temp monitor: the MPSS just won't get up to temp when it's below 45f. I can get them to between 45-50f when the ambient temp is around freezing. And yes, they're like hockey pucks.

Just on my first short drive with the winter wheel set (Pirelli Sottozero), they were up to 65F where they stayed for my journey. The difference in cold weather grip is night and day, plus the extra sidewall and non-runflat has transformed the ride, feels like a different car and I don't cringe everytime I run over a small pebble on the road.

For reference, this is the winter wheel set
Appreciate 0