BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
KMP259
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Competition

M6 Rear window shade

Still trying to figure out the rear window shade.....

Read the owners manual and can’t find any info regarding the rear window shade.....can some one point me in the correct operation of that rear shade.....it is up now and I can’t see out the back window as well as I should....

I’m sure it’s something I have to learn.....just turned the AC on and it took a while for it to blow cooler air.....not cold air....operator error....HD799 military code for operator error.....any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP259 View Post
I’m sure it’s something I have to learn.....just turned the AC on and it took a while for it to blow cooler air.....not cold air....operator error....HD799 military code for operator error.....any help is appreciated
If you are new to BMW and you don’t know what the stratified air dial is...check the position of the dial on the dash’s center vent (see pic below with red arrows pointing at the stratified air dial). If the dial is still turned into the red...the the air from the dash vents will blow warm air regardless if you have the AC button pressed and the ambient temp set at 65° F. That dial on the center vent allows you to temper the air from those vents warmer (red) or cooler (blue). Also, if you are using the AUTO feature...take a look at how you have the fan speed set. In Auto mode, the blower display shows intensity...not fan speed. So if you have the display with only 1 or 2 dashes showing...the fan will not blow at its highest intensity...so it takes longer to bring the interior up to the selected temp. This change appears to have come about due to some owners complaints about the noise of the blower...it was too loud for a car that cost that much money. So if you do use the AUTO feature...and the sound of the HVAC blower doesn’t bother you...make sure you have the “intensity” of the fan speed turned all the way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP259 View Post
Still trying to figure out the rear window shade.....
Read the owners manual and can’t find any info regarding the rear window shade.....can some one point me in the correct operation of that rear shade.....it is up now and I can’t see out the back window as well as I should....

The button for the rear shade(s) is located on the driver’s door master control switch for the windows.

If you briefly press that button it will go either up or down (depending on the position of the shade at the time of the press).

If you have powered rear door shades (can’t tell if you have the f06 4dr GC or the f13 2 dr coupe)...then you can also control the two rear door shades using the same button...it just requires a press & hold of that same button. But one thing is required first...and that is to have all of the shades in the same position. For example, if the rear shade is up but the door shades are down...then do a brief press of the button to lower the rear shade. Once all the shades are down...then press & hold the button on the driver’s door and all 3 shades should go up. And if you press & hold the button again, then all 3 shades will go down. But...if you only do a brief press of the button...only the rear shade will go down or up.

In the pics below of the rear window shade...the last pic (from the owners manual) shows the instructions for:
  • 1st line = rear door’s switch buttons
  • 2nd line = driver’s door instructions for rear shade
  • 3rd line = driver’s door instructions for rear shade and rear door shades
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-22-2021 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
KMP259
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Competition

Thumbs up

QSilver7

Thank you .... I will try all of this when I get off work today....
I hate it when you get another vehicle and have to relearn all of the features of the vehicle ...but change is good .....just figuring it out is the embarrassing part.

Much like when I taught people how to drive on Race Tracks....

General I Salute you and Thank you.
Appreciate 0