BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-29-2021, 01:48 AM   #1
alexhpilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

Air conditioning issue

Dear all,

I have a 2016 640d with around 35,000 miles on the clock. In very good working order, however, there seems to be a subtle issue with the air conditioning unit.
Whenever this is turned on it sounds like it is surging whenever the accelerator is pressed. Sounds like a powerful fan. Doesn't affect the cool air and the unit seems to work. The noise is not normal though. Noise is not there when AC is turned off.
Anyone else had this issue or know what the problem might be? It is going to BMW next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Hi,
Coincidentally I bought my 640d GC a month ago as an Approved Used car and it's booked in under warranty on Monday for exactly the same issue. AC off it ticks over as it should, turn it on, the AC works fine but the additional load produces a whine - not particularly loud but certainly loud enough to be annoying and definitiely loud enough for it not to be right. I'm thinking tensioner pulley or the like on the auxiliary belt, but that's for them to diagnose! 2017 and 22k BTW

I'll let you know the outcome....

Last edited by Bluefoz; 07-29-2021 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
alexhpilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

Apologies. Was meaning to reply to this some time ago.
Faulty AC unit. Entire thing had to be replaced. Happy it was under warranty to say the least.
Appreciate 0