BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #67
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Look if you own or desire an E46 M3, do so for all the right reasons but not believing this is some sort of high yield mutual fund investment.

Prices in these cars are fueled by speculation and pipe dream premises based on the "Good old days" or when BMW "Cared about the act of driving". Some folks want to live forever locked in the year 2004, and that is fine, but the world, the automotive industry and BMW has moved on.

Truth is that if anyone feels so strongly about NA 6 cyl engines, manual transmissions and artificially heavy hydraulic power steering, they don't need to spend $90K to get into an old school pre-2010 BMW. Nothing special about those cars made in the thousands and not with the best reliability (E46 sub frames anyone?). But circling back to my point: if an older BMW is your thing enjoy it but always for the right reasons.
FYI the steering on older BMWs is lighter than the new ones. The problem with modern BMW steering has nothing to do with weight, though that seems to forever be a point of confusion.

I've been driving an e46 M3 for 16 years now, including putting around 20,000 track miles on one of them. So, I like to think I'm in it "for the right reasons".

I don't expect my cars to be an appreciating asset. In fact, it's impossible for them to be, since I have zero intent of selling.

But, they are appreciating-- and they're appreciating in spite of the, as you point out, large supply. Implying that there's a large number of people that do, indeed, miss the good old days when BMW made cars that were good to drive.
I owned an E90 from practically new. Kept the car for 7 years and was my DD. I am well familiar with the old school BMW look and feel. There many aspects I enjoyed about the car, but looking at it in perspective here in 2019, the steering while providing gobs of feedback was ridiculously heavy in low speed situations, such as parking. Never liked that characteristic of the steering. And you are correct, feel and heaviness are 2 different things. Next I had the standard seats and they were OK but hard, narrow and thinly padded. It helped both front were powered with lumbar support but still. The N52 sixer was smooth and great on the open road, but in city driving it was on the down side in regards to torque and it was a gas hog.

Sure the simplicity of the cabin was great and was solidly built. However, did experience problems with the VANOS solenoids, oil gasket leaks and a failed AC evaporator that requires dismantling the whole dashboard but fortunately my BMW extended warranty picked up the rest of the tab after the customary $50 deductible.

I find my G30 a far superior automobile in so many levels. Comfort, power, fuel economy, NVH, the suspension is very well sorted as whereas the E90's std suspension tended to be crashy over expansion joints or rough pavement . The amenities, the seats, the interior comfort, interior design and materials, handling, transmission performance all are light years away from that E90. Don't regret the move one bit. It's just a better vehicle where it matters to me.

People live to hate on current BMWs but I find that to be coming mostly from a segment made up of those who still own E chassis cars or hardcore enthusiasts of BMWs of yore. That's fine, the world has moved on and car manufactures don't pay the bills selling and catering only to vocal enthusiasts in internet message boards. Electric power steering, four pot turbos, 8 speed slushboxes are not only the offense perpetrated by BMW. Everyone else has done it to survive changing markets, geopolitics, customer expectations, unreasonable environmental rules and restrictions, etc.

All I have to say is this: Enjoy your ICE vehicles (new or old) while you can. Governments around the world are preparing to shove down our collective throats electric golf cars as well as driverless ones. Don't be surprised if the mere act of driving behind the wheel will be outlawed in decades to come.

People in the future will long for the "flaccid" BMWs on sale today. Mark my words..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      09-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #68
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I also had an e9X. I sold it because it was too new and constantly infuriating/boring to drive as a result-- replaced it with the e46 M3 wagon and have not had a single moment of regret

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #69
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Hence why I just leased an Alfa Giulia. Far better lease deal than any Audi/BMW/Merc
Great looking and driving car. BTW...did you lease two?
Two Giulias? Lol nope, just one. But it's only a two year lease, which is exactly what I wanted for the time being
You need two: one to replace the other whenever one will be in the shop...