BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #23
Greekstyle
Private First Class
48
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Biggest challenge with the F12/13 you are likely to run into is stuffing the cables and box back behind the headunit. I went full tilt and routed all the cables to the glovebox for the Android box and ran a usb extension to the armrest.
Probably what I am going to do as well. I cant remember the last time I opened my glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #24
Greekstyle
Private First Class
48
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
I'm.going.to order from the link..$ 200 with dhl shipping ..I have done similiar.. I swapped my unit to a dynavin unit awhile back ..that was on a e60 5 series ....I really don't want to do it again though .. I mite just take it to a local shop and see if I can get it done for $200. ..the shop that's charging 500 ..that's it north jersey.. I'm all the way in South Jersey ..so bit far.. or I mite try to convince my cousin to do it for me ..lol. Well see .. just need to get the system to me first

I just ordered it. Cant wait
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC105.00

      09-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
MMMM6GC
Private First Class
105
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK/USA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
I just ordered it. Cant wait
Keep us posted! I'm looking to get one of these in the next few months so will be interested in how you find it using Android auto for daily use. Also FYI taking the dash apart feels daunting but it's really straightforward: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740386
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #26
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

I just installed an andream unit to give wireless android auto and carplay. I only tested the android auto so far and it was working. Few things I need to fiddle around with as when I pressed the voice command button it loaded the bmw assistant but if I just gave the audible command hey Google it did its thing. I kinda want to be able to use the steering button instead of it always listening. Also the audio was OK 7/10 however when the Google assistant spoke it was a bit distorted like 4/10. May need to mess with some eq settings but I found this odd and there was no distortion when playing music at the same volume. I had literally 20 minute play with it so its only my initial thoughts but so far it seems OK. The image could have been more crisp. I'm using an pre lci nbt screen. But I reckon its a setting somewhere that may need changing as some pictures online seem to look less grainy than what I was getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #27
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
I just installed an andream unit to give wireless android auto and carplay. I only tested the android auto so far and it was working. Few things I need to fiddle around with as when I pressed the voice command button it loaded the bmw assistant but if I just gave the audible command hey Google it did its thing. I kinda want to be able to use the steering button instead of it always listening. Also the audio was OK 7/10 however when the Google assistant spoke it was a bit distorted like 4/10. May need to mess with some eq settings but I found this odd and there was no distortion when playing music at the same volume. I had literally 20 minute play with it so its only my initial thoughts but so far it seems OK. The image could have been more crisp. I'm using an pre lci nbt screen. But I reckon its a setting somewhere that may need changing as some pictures online seem to look less grainy than what I was getting.
Try pressing and holding the voice command button on the steering wheel. That will invoke google assistant.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #28
standslanted
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: BMW 640i, X5, E90
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekstyle View Post
I just ordered it. Cant wait
Just ordered the same unit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #29
nissan
Lieutenant
38
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DFW

iTrader: (4)

Btw. if you don't want to deal with Aliexpress, this ebay seller is accepting offers for $232 incl. shipping. Just in case anything goes wrong, it's easier to go via ebay for resolution. It ends up the same as Aliexpress w the DHL shipping. ebay also has 5% cashback through ebay bucks and if you pair with Discover (via PayPal) add'l 5% cashback. Every $ counts lol.

I just ordered so haven't received it yet but will update once received/installed. I assume these are all the same units from a single supplier hitting the market.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IO...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #30
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Try pressing and holding the voice command button on the steering wheel. That will invoke google assistant.
I'm debating to upgrade to the custom firmware to improve the Image quality. Would you recommend doing so. I only use android auto
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #31
Bigjule1111
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Philly - south Jersey area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Btw. if you don't want to deal with Aliexpress, this ebay seller is accepting offers for $232 incl. shipping. Just in case anything goes wrong, it's easier to go via ebay for resolution. It ends up the same as Aliexpress w the DHL shipping. ebay also has 5% cashback through ebay bucks and if you pair with Discover (via PayPal) add'l 5% cashback. Every $ counts lol.

I just ordered so haven't received it yet but will update once received/installed. I assume these are all the same units from a single supplier hitting the market.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IO...72.m2749.l2649
I had a issue using ali express..I've never placed a order with them, kept refusing my debit card .. but decided to go ebay route ..I just ordered thru ebay .. put it a offer for 220 shipped and got the offer accepted 👍👍👍 thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC105.00

      09-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #32
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
I'm debating to upgrade to the custom firmware to improve the Image quality. Would you recommend doing so. I only use android auto
No need to. There's an official firmware that adds widescreen Android auto support. Check this thread
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #33
blackbmw2018
Private
12
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: bmw 6
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

I brought Unichip brand and many gives good reviews too. After a year, the box die on me. Message them, hopefully to get some advise etc their only advise is to buy another set.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #34
Mnfamilyguy2020
Enlisted Member
United_States
8
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

I've just ordered this. Is the installation the same if you have the B&O sound system?

Last edited by Mnfamilyguy2020; 09-25-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #35
Bigjule1111
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Philly - south Jersey area

iTrader: (0)

Another installation question .. is this instillation the same as the bimmertech mmi videos posted on youtube? I ordered already and debating if I should take the plunge and install myself
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #36
Bigjule1111
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Philly - south Jersey area

iTrader: (0)

Ok and 1 more question. For you guys with the wireless set ups .. how do you guys go about getting that done ? I have unlimited att phone service. but as of now , I have no hotspot or wifi capabilities on my plan .. I'm running a note 8 by the way .thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:45 AM   #37
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnfamilyguy2020 View Post
I've just ordered this. Is the installation the same if you have the B&O sound system?
Sound system makes no difference on these :-)
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 02:47 AM   #38
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
Ok and 1 more question. For you guys with the wireless set ups .. how do you guys go about getting that done ? I have unlimited att phone service. but as of now , I have no hotspot or wifi capabilities on my plan .. I'm running a note 8 by the way .thanks
The install is plug and play. Really nothing to it. As for the wireless, when you connect to the unit via bluetooth the first time it creates a WiFi connection from the Android box to your phone. I.e, there's no hotspot created on your phone
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC105.00

      09-27-2020, 03:42 AM   #39
Bigjule1111
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Philly - south Jersey area

iTrader: (0)

so there's no hotspot created from your phone? no need for hot spot or additional added cellular plan to run wireless? So it's basically running thru bluetooth rite ? And thanks again u been a great help
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #40
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
so there's no hotspot created from your phone? no need for hot spot or additional added cellular plan to run wireless? So it's basically running thru bluetooth rite ? And thanks again u been a great help
Quite right :-) . The box is nothing more than a display interface. It does not use any data of it's own. The wifi connection is to display the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay since that data is too much for bluetooth to handle.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC105.00

      09-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #41
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
No need to. There's an official firmware that adds widescreen Android auto support. Check this thread
as i read through this it seems to be a custom software thst has been created to fix the widescreen issue did u have any issues with it as i seem to be having some wireless connection issues at th moment with the factory software most of the time it works then sometimes it just doesnt
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #42
hugo_nz
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
124
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: F12 650i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
as i read through this it seems to be a custom software thst has been created to fix the widescreen issue did u have any issues with it as i seem to be having some wireless connection issues at th moment with the factory software most of the time it works then sometimes it just doesnt
I'm running the latest official firmware (from this thread). Personally, I don' use the wireless option since I like having my phone charging and out of sight while driving. I did play around with the wireless option when I installed the units, but I found it to be noticeably slower than the wired option.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #43
Mnfamilyguy2020
Enlisted Member
United_States
8
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Sound system makes no difference on these :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #44
mjposner
Colonel
mjposner's Avatar
United_States
533
Rep
2,864
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i F12
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (3)

I have the same kit. Install is plug and play. Get a good trim tool removal kit and some torx screwdrivers.

The newer firmware gives you wide screen but now small icons.

It is clear that this is really meant for touch screens, using idrive controller is a pain.

"Okay Google" works, you can say read me last message and then actually reply with your voice.

Biggest issue is that from startup it take a few minutes to connect. Since my commute is 15 minutes that can be a pain. Also, how do you change map orientation nd scale?
__________________
Previous BMW: 16 M4, 13 M6; 14 M235i, 12 BMW M3; 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 92 325i Convertible; and 85 635csi
My other rides: 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa and 2007 Porsche 911s
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST