BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #45
carbonblkf12
New Member
2
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2015 650i x drive vert
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I have an appointment at Circle BMW in NJ on Friday. Today on the garden state pkwy between 60-80 the car vibrates and stutters... Will advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #46
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

I recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and had the wheels balanced twice due to a vibration I have been feeling since their installation (maybe it is just coincidence).

Since I have had them installed, the car has a very serious vibration over 60 mph and is at its worse at around 70 mph. I feel the vibration in my seat and legs, but not in the steering wheel or gear lever. I am going later today to another shop to have the wheels balanced yet again just to make sure it isn't a balancing problem. The garage I am going to today said it could be a tire that was not manufactured properly, but I doubt this is the reason due to them being high performance Michelins.

Any ideas what other issues could lead to this vibration?

Thanks

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 04-25-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #47
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
125
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: 2014 640D
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
I recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and had the wheels balanced twice due to a vibration I have been feeling since their installation (maybe it is just coincidence).

Since I have had them installed, the car has a very serious vibration over 60 mph and is at its worse at around 70 mph. I feel the vibration in my seat and legs, but not in the steering wheel or gear lever. I am going later today to another shop to have the wheels balanced yet again just to make sure it isn't a balancing problem. The garage I am going to today said it could be a tire that was not manufactured properly, but I doubt this is the reason due to them being high performance Michelins.

Any ideas what other issues could lead to this vibration?

Thanks
I had this on my 5 series, those exact symptoms and it was warped front discs
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #48
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Oh. That is very possible. I do have a slight vibration in the brake pedal when I brake at highway speeds.

I did not relate both issues as I would never think the front rotors could cause a vibration when the pedal isn't pressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #49
Walt White Coupe
Lieutenant
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
121
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 2016 Vette
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phila, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
I did not relate both issues as I would never think the front rotors could cause a vibration when the pedal isn't pressed.
I don't either.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #50
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
125
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: 2014 640D
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newcastle

iTrader: (0)

Jack the front up and see if the wheels spins freely,
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #51
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Update:

Went to another garage and all 4 wheels needed to be rebalanced. He told me two of the front wheels are slightly bent on the inside, probably due to hitting potholes, with one being more bent than the other.

On the highway, the shaking is 95% gone, and he did say that the bend in the wheel(s) is responsible for the remaining slight, hardly noticeable, vibration at highway speeds. I can live with this.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU135.50

      04-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #52
MingLu
New Member
Taiwan
5
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 650i xDrive GC
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Update:

Went to another garage and all 4 wheels needed to be rebalanced. He told me two of the front wheels are slightly bent on the inside, probably due to hitting potholes, with one being more bent than the other.

On the highway, the shaking is 95% gone, and he did say that the bend in the wheel(s) is responsible for the remaining slight, hardly noticeable, vibration at highway speeds. I can live with this.
Could you please explain more about wheels bent? I don't understand what that means. Thanks.

MingLu
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #53
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
80
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Minglu,
When you hit a pothole, especially wheels with low profile tires on them, the lip of the wheel can bend slightly due the impact, and these slight bends can be on the outer (visible) lip or the inner lip of the wheel and these bends cause the wheel to be slightly out of round and thus can cause vibration at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #54
MingLu
New Member
Taiwan
5
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 650i xDrive GC
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Minglu,
When you hit a pothole, especially wheels with low profile tires on them, the lip of the wheel can bend slightly due the impact, and these slight bends can be on the outer (visible) lip or the inner lip of the wheel and these bends cause the wheel to be slightly out of round and thus can cause vibration at higher speeds.
Got it, Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:24 AM   #55
doughboy650gc
First Lieutenant
United_States
18
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2013 650i grand coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingLu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Minglu,
When you hit a pothole, especially wheels with low profile tires on them, the lip of the wheel can bend slightly due the impact, and these slight bends can be on the outer (visible) lip or the inner lip of the wheel and these bends cause the wheel to be slightly out of round and thus can cause vibration at higher speeds.
Got it, Thanks a lot!
I would agree that rotors could be the problem but I only feel the shake during acceleration
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #56
6series40i
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW 640i
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy650gc View Post
Does the vibration go away in sport mode? mine does the same thing
Bringing this thread back to life, yes mine goes away in sport mode. Usually occurs when I'm idling at a light (not all the time). I've taken it to the dealer twice and they can't seem to figure it out. They've changed out the motor mount and reprogramed the vehicle. Doesn't happen all the time. I can trigger the shake my putting car in eco mode and back in comfort. It does not shake when I put it in sport mode, but the minute I change it back to comfort or eco mode it will shake; any ideas? 640i GC with low miles, still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #57
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2017 650l Convertible xDrive with MSport package. Having the same feeling and was told I have 4 bent rims. Having them straightened in 2 days and will let you know if the shaking goes away.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #58
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

So I had all 4 bent wheels straightened and high speed balanced. 0-40 seems much smoother and over 80 was always smooth. The problem is still most noticeable at 60-80 mph. I got rid of the run flats about 20k miles ago and have Michelin Pilot Sports. It is not a real bad shake/vibration. From what I am reading here I am beginning to believe it is "normal".
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #59
Walt White Coupe
Lieutenant
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
121
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 2016 Vette
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phila, PA

iTrader: (0)

Shake at any speed is NOT normal. If it doesn't shake at 80 mph then its not due to wheel balance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #60
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Back to the dealer tomorrow for the shake/vibration. A lot of ppl have posted they have the problem but has anyone identified the source and gotten it fixed? Or could the shake/vibration has several causes and fixes?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #61
6series40i
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW 640i
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
Back to the dealer tomorrow for the shake/vibration. A lot of ppl have posted they have the problem but has anyone identified the source and gotten it fixed? Or could the shake/vibration has several causes and fixes?
Any updates on what they found?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #62
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Still in the shop over the weekend. They do believe they found the problem, a cracked Quibo or Flex Disc. It connects the rear driveshaft to the transmission and acts as a vibration dampener. When they test drove after installing new quibo it wasn't perfect and they found a rear wheel bent so that will be straightened Monday. (I had all 4 straightened a week ago!) Will confirm all is well on Monday when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #63
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Ok so they are keeping the car another day. Straightened one wheel, which was straightened last week, and high speed balance today. Tech drove and said he still feels some vibration. SA said they want another look.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #64
Alpine650
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

UPDATE: SA called and said 2 wheels did not pass road force balance. Still some vibration but recommends 2 new rims. Asked me to test drive to determine if he should order rims. Made it about 1 mile and made a U-turn. Rims ordered. Hopefully this will do it!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #65
6series40i
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW 640i
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
UPDATE: SA called and said 2 wheels did not pass road force balance. Still some vibration but recommends 2 new rims. Asked me to test drive to determine if he should order rims. Made it about 1 mile and made a U-turn. Rims ordered. Hopefully this will do it!
My shaking happens when I am idling in all modes aside from sport/sport+
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #66
arucano
First Lieutenant
arucano's Avatar
United_States
104
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kingwood TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
If the road balancing fails, it is usually due to the tire, not the rim. The rim should be checked for cracks and out of roundness or lateral run-out. If htere is no run-out and the tire can be balance without road force but fail road force balancing, it is the fault of the tire.
__________________
F06 M6 Grand Coupe CP - 'E39 530I 5sp
Sapphire Black Metallic/Black - Black/Black
The drive is the destination
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST