BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
TuscanRider
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Convertible X-drive

Fender Trim Removal & Replacement

I am not sure why BMW decided a blob of chrome looks good stuck on the fender but, what I really need help on is how do I remove it and what non chrome (black, carbon or body color) ideas do you have to replace it?

It is a 2018 640i C (F12)

Does anyone know if the M6 fender/turn signal trim from an F12 series will slide in?

This piece and the door handle are the last chrome holdouts!
I read somewhere that I need a piece of plastic from BMW that looks like a credit card - 009340. Is that the only way to remove it without messing up the paint?

Haven’t been on this forum for long, thank you for the great advice in other posts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I literally used a firm credit card to pop mine out. If I remember correctly I popped it out from the top rear first and the rest came out easily. Once the light is unplugged and you have the piece totally away from the car, you can remove the black plastic section from the “chrome” section by the little clips on the back. Makes it much easier to paint just the chrome part and not mask off anything. But I think that only applies to the pre-LCI models with the turn signals there

First time I wrapped them in gloss black vinyl. Eventually it cracked, so I just recently sanded them and painted them with SEM gloss black trim paint and it looks AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f06

Quote:
Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
I literally used a firm credit card to pop mine out. If I remember correctly I popped it out from the top rear first and the rest came out easily. Once the light is unplugged and you have the piece totally away from the car, you can remove the black plastic section from the “chrome” section by the little clips on the back. Makes it much easier to paint just the chrome part and not mask off anything. But I think that only applies to the pre-LCI models with the turn signals there

First time I wrapped them in gloss black vinyl. Eventually it cracked, so I just recently sanded them and painted them with SEM gloss black trim paint and it looks AMAZING.
I have photos when I took mine off, from the back, it might help but can add photos for some reason

There is also a link to removal process. Will dig it out.

I wrapped mine in gloss black and it terrible, I am going to go back to chrome
Attached Images

Last edited by BmwF06Ireland; 09-27-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
TuscanRider
United_States
Rep

Anyone on the forum know it the M6 fender/turn signal trim will fit as a replacement?
Not trying for the “wannabe” M6 look and would modify before installing IF it fits.

If you have done this could you post a pic please?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
TuscanRider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by board57796 View Post

I tried this. After destroying the credit card I gave up.
Has anyone tried taking it off with a packing strap? same way the badges come off.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
blackbmw2018
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 6

Use a pry plastic tool and a pce of cloth to protect your car paint. Go in from the bottom left end (facing). Once u got a gap use your finger to pry it open. u will able to pry it open with some light force.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanRider View Post
Anyone on the forum know it the M6 fender/turn signal trim will fit as a replacement?
If you use one of the online part database sites (like www.realoem.com)...just enter the last 7 digits of your VIN, then pull up the diagram for this part (should be in category 51 VEHICLE TRIM). Scroll down the part number index and click on the 11 digit BMW part number. This will tell you all the other BMW models that use the same part number. Look for the f12 M6 in the list..if its there...then it uses the same part. Make sure you look for any other supplemental information in the database in case there’s a difference based on build date or other options (like park assist) so that you get the correct part based on your build date and option list.

{look for #7 in the part number index when you go to the part database site}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanRider View Post
Not trying for the “wannabe” M6 look and would modify before installing IF it fits.

If you have done this could you post a pic please?
Unfortunately the M6 one is a different shape

Appreciate 0