BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

The M8 GC in person is flat our gorgeous! That said I probably will never go back to an AWD car. I just switched from an Rs7 to an M6 GC Comp. I loved the Rs7. It's shockingly fast and delivers the power with such force, it's hard to believe it's so big. That said, I never felt pure driving joy. Sure, the sound of the sport exhaust, downshifts and launches were loads of fun, I'm not looking for a quarter mile race beast. The M6 delivers the joy I've missed since I sold my E90 M3. MDM Mode with limited traction control let's the car slide around and have fun, especially when the power comes on in second gear! I'm aware you can adjust the new AWD system so it MAY be best if both worlds. I'll have to drive one to determine. But I will say, I'm an HUGLEY impressed with how this car delivers power, drives etc. Absolutely phenomenal car, especially for modern BMW which hasn't impressed me much past the E90 M3.

Point I'm making, take it from someone who came from high power, AWD luxury sedan. This chassis is spectacular
      01-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #24
dennisd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i

Ok, that makes one that said they like the look...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #25
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

There was a thread on the M8 forum talking about M6 owners not seeming to like the M8 much, I replied with this which I wouldn't change. The extra tech doesn't really interest me and I'm completely OK with the looks in either Coupe or Gran Coupe.

If I had a 640i or 650i GC I think the new ones would be fine. The weight is very similar, you can still fit 4 people comfortably, the fuel tank is virtually the same size, you have an 8 speed ZF auto in all versions.

With the Coupe or Vert in the non-Ms I think the main issue is that you can't fit 4 people any more at all. Even 3 is a pinch now whereas in my F13 3 is easily accomplishable.

But as an M6 Coupe owner, my concerns are:

I lose my 80 litre fuel tank and go down to 68 litres.
The aforementioned issue with losing 1" leg room and 2" headroom in the coupe.
I lose the M-DCT and get an 8 speed ZF
I get a small increase in power but that will be offset by drivetrain losses
The M6 is already a porker at 1925kg, now I'm going to 1960kg in the Coupe with worse weight distribution (I'm guessing roughly 54-55% at the front in the M8, the M6 is 51.5%)
Because I can't fit 3 people comfortably or 4 people in a pinch I might be considering the M8 GC, but that is 2055kg and 5098mm long vs 1925kg and 4898mm long. And while there MUST be more room in the M8 GC I still only get a 68 litre tank!
      01-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #26
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post

To my eyes the 6 looks better proportioned and has a prettier face, though the rear lights on the 8 are beautiful. Also I think to the untrained eye / non-car person, the jump in design from F06 to F9x is nowhere near as significant as the jump from E6x to F06
Sweet, that pic is my car! It’s got my touches on it now but CLEARLY it’s M6GC for the win. Not bias at all
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 11:23 PM   #27
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
That and idrive 7 and you have the worlds perfect car!
Out of curiosity, what is the appeal of iDrive 7?
Coming from someone who loves gadgets, my NBT with CarPlay does everything perfectly without touchscreen gimmicks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:23 AM   #28
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
The only radar I need in the M6 is a radar detector
Waze app! It’s sensational. Just started using it ! Better than any radar detector 😉
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Coming from someone who loves gadgets, my NBT with CarPlay does everything perfectly without touchscreen gimmicks.
New camera function for the third person surround view camera is the only notable change in my opinion, the rest is the same. oh and i think you can change the color of your ambient lighting now too, the camera is the main take away still.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #30
sunshine is delicious
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13M6 DCT, E46M3 6MT

I think the overall driving experience of M8 might just be like driving M6. So personally I might not go for M8, but rather try something new in the future such as 911GT3 or JDM sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #31
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
That and idrive 7 and you have the worlds perfect car!
The new digital cluster with the GPS map and multimedia built into the screen.Its really just eye candy.

My M6 has ID4 which is very primitive.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #32
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
The M8 GC in person is flat our gorgeous! That said I probably will never go back to an AWD car. I just switched from an Rs7 to an M6 GC Comp. I loved the Rs7. It's shockingly fast and delivers the power with such force, it's hard to believe it's so big. That said, I never felt pure driving joy. Sure, the sound of the sport exhaust, downshifts and launches were loads of fun, I'm not looking for a quarter mile race beast. The M6 delivers the joy I've missed since I sold my E90 M3. MDM Mode with limited traction control let's the car slide around and have fun, especially when the power comes on in second gear! I'm aware you can adjust the new AWD system so it MAY be best if both worlds. I'll have to drive one to determine. But I will say, I'm an HUGLEY impressed with how this car delivers power, drives etc. Absolutely phenomenal car, especially for modern BMW which hasn't impressed me much past the E90 M3.

Point I'm making, take it from someone who came from high power, AWD luxury sedan. This chassis is spectacular
I know exactly how you feel,I came from a Merc E63s the whole feel of the M6 is just pure machine
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      01-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #33
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
Waze app! It’s sensational. Just started using it ! Better than any radar detector 😉
LOL,been using waze for years it is awesome !! I use both I have a Valentine one had it since 2006 put it in every car since still working like a champ
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #34
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisd View Post
I was at the dealer yesterday and saw the 2020 M8, it was even the competition model, they now put a badge in it. It just didn't call out to me. Something about the lines and the interior. I know they have to update and the M6 was a long run but I think I would move to an M5 instead of the M8. The only thing I like about the M8 over the M5 is that there are just SO many 5 series out on the roads. I like having something a little unique. That's why I really liked my Z4M, I think I only saw one other during the 3 years I had that car.

So, are any of you thinking about the M8?
sorry, I just posted the same dilemma in another post without checking to see that you had posted this and seemed to echo similar concerns to you and your comments.

I love my M6 GC but I’m often tempted to upgrade at some stage to the 8er. Whilst there are some appealing points I keep ending up with the verdict I’m better off with what I have. I want to desire the 8er but I simply don’t, yet. Anyone else having this dilemma? I also don’t see the value in the premium cost over what the M6 was/is. Maybe I’ll be more tempted when their prices plummet. My personal likes are the 4WD and some tech but my main issue is that whilst the M6 GC is a little dated (I’d like to think becoming a rare classic) the M8 GC doesn’t seem very special looking from certain angles
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

There are a few reasons why people "upgrade". Either they find a car that is more visually appealing, their current car has issues, they are leasing, or they're looking for performance that they simply cannot get in the car that they own. Number two is the only reason to upgrade in this case.

The 8 simply doesn't have the class, status, or Timeless Elegance that the 6 does. And I don't know anyone who's pushing the M6 to its limit so any performance increase that the 8 has is pretty much meaningless for 99% of people.
Appreciate 4
      01-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #36
dennisd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
There are a few reasons why people "upgrade". Either they find a car that is more visually appealing, their current car has issues, they are leasing, or they're looking for performance that they simply cannot get in the car that they own. Number two is the only reason to upgrade in this case.

The 8 simply doesn't have the class, status, or Timeless Elegance that the 6 does. And I don't know anyone who's pushing the M6 to its limit so any performance increase that the 8 has is pretty much meaningless for 99% of people.

I totally agree with your last statement. Where I live anyway; traffic, bad road surface conditions, idiot drivers, the men with pretty red and blue flashing lights on top of their cars and occasional wildlife attempting to comit suicide by throwing themselves in front of oncoming vehicles makes high speed driving a very limited pastime.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #37
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
This is actually funny... We are all trying to come up with more or less practical or rational reasons why we would “upgrade” (which I don’t think in this case is really the correct word...), but I would argue our cars (and most other cars in the same category/class) are not upgraded because they need upgrading, but rather because we just want something new...

In my case, if a typical life expectancy for a 53-year-old male with reasonably normal living habits is say another 30 years (help!), and I’m driving 6k kms per year, and the way I’m looking after my car, I will likely be in the grave before the car (wouldn’t even make it to 200k km - some maintenance would naturally be needed) - assuming we can still buy high octane fuel in 2050... And I actually believe that a 2017 M6 will be reasonably competitive at that stage, still, at least what it comes to meaningful performance and driving capabilities... So, I don’t think I would ever HAVE TO change the car, but will I want to? ABSOLUTELY - until this age the longest I have ever kept a car (that I have owned) has been appr. 2.5 years...
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #38
dennisd
United_States
Rep

It isn't about, "is the change necessary?" It is about "do I think the M8 is more appealing?" In my case, no it isn't. My M6 isn't a daily driver, it is more or less a toy for myself. My daily driver is my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. And then I also have a Ram 3500 Longhorn for when I pull my tractor between different properties I own. I also have 2 bikes, a Harley Roadking and a Triumph Bobber (recently sold my Ducati Monster 1200S, decided I don't need that much speed on 2 wheels anymore).

Please don't take this as bragging, I'm definately not. I'm just explaining my situation. I'm now 64 years old and have limited time remaining to enjoy what life I have left so I'm going to shove in as much as possible. I started this thread to get others opinions about the changes between the M6 and the M8. I understand BMW needs to make drastic changes like this occasionally or it will be said they are getting stale. But to me the M8 isn't that drastic of a change and the changes they made aren't necessarily for the better. But that is just my opinion. Its kind of like when I traded my 2009 M535 for the 2014 M535. My opinion was, I thought they made a really nice car more numb.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #39
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
A lot of similarities with $100K difference.
The M8 looks like a Mustang the way a Chrysler 300 looks like a Bentley Flying Spur.

People see a resemblance in pictures, but when they are side by side in real life it isn't even close.
MMMM6GC275.00
DRKNTM615.50
      01-31-2020, 05:57 AM   #40
Reliable1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M8 Comp Gran Coupe

I made the jump and I loved my ‘16 San Marino Blue M6GC competition, but the M8 GC competition is a super luxury animal! They are both gorgeous cars and the choice was hard, but the time was right for me, as I had the itch and my factory warranty was ending in March. This was the 1st GC in S FL as I had several dealers on the hunt.
The M8 is still in break-in mode, but so far this one seems quite a bit faster than the M6, but way more high end and luxurious inside! The M6 was more visceral and raw, and made you want to always drive it fast, where as the 8 can also double as a luxury car for long trips and has plenty of room in the cabin.
I’ll post a comparison soon!
Here are a few pics!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #41
Monteblueem5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 m5

I did id6 upgrade on my 2014 and I am happy
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #42
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteblueem5 View Post
I did id6 upgrade on my 2014 and I am happy
Do you have the link on how this is done?What parts are needed Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #43
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Maybe in 2026, I'll consider it when it's worth $40k
      02-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #44
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Maybe in 2026, I'll consider it when it's worth $40k
Same thing i thought about 3 hours ago after seeing it in person finally "see you in 5 years pal"
Attached Images

Appreciate 2