BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Considering Alpina B6... opinions?

Hi everybody.

I am considering finding/buying an Alpina B6. Does anyone have any opinions regarding, especially, longer-term reliability? Has Alpina overcome any of the weaknesses of the V8, especially? Also, for anyone who has/had one, what's your subjective opinion vs. other 6's? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

I have a 2016 with 27,000 miles. I bought it about 3&1/2 yrs ago (with just under 12k miles at that time). It has been out of warranty for about 1&1/2 yrs. Have had some minor things repaired. A door lock actuator under warranty, and upgraded PCV valves and hoses not covered by warranty (although BMW has an extended warranty campaign for some of it’s N63tu engines- mine was not included in the production date range).
It has been a very reliable vehicle. It is insanely powerful, can be driven as a docile city car, comfortable highway cruiser, or balls out on a racetrack. I like the exterior styling with the Alpina front fascia, and the rear diffuser with the chrome quad tips. The wheels are beautiful and classic Alpina style. They do require some work to keep them clean, and I have had a couple tires develop sidewall bubbles after hitting potholes. Probably no different than any other 650gc with 20” wheels and low profile tires. Discount tire has a road hazard warranty for tires that has paid off for me. I think it’s one of the best interiors in the biz. Soft supple leather everywhere.
With snow tires, it is as capable as any other x-drive BMW sedan that I have had in the snow. I put snows on it one winter, but not since. Ground clearance would be an issue for deep snow. I run all season pilot sports yr round, and have an X3 I use if the weather is bad. I live in Colorado, and if we get an inch or 2 of snow, I have no issues getting around on the all season tires.
I think it’s a masterful combination of performance, luxury, utility and style. I expect maintenance and repairs to be similar, but likely a little more expensive than a similar age/ mileage 650xi. As for resale value, I hope it will hold up a little better than an M6gc, or 650gc as there were not that many Alpina’s produced.
Feel free to PM me with any additional questions. Good luck in your search!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I have a 2016 with 27,000 miles. I bought it about 3&1/2 yrs ago (with just under 12k miles at that time). It has been out of warranty for about 1&1/2 yrs. Have had some minor things repaired. A door lock actuator under warranty, and upgraded PCV valves and hoses not covered by warranty (although BMW has an extended warranty campaign for some of it’s N63tu engines- mine was not included in the production date range).
It has been a very reliable vehicle. It is insanely powerful, can be driven as a docile city car, comfortable highway cruiser, or balls out on a racetrack. I like the exterior styling with the Alpina front fascia, and the rear diffuser with the chrome quad tips. The wheels are beautiful and classic Alpina style. They do require some work to keep them clean, and I have had a couple tires develop sidewall bubbles after hitting potholes. Probably no different than any other 650gc with 20” wheels and low profile tires. Discount tire has a road hazard warranty for tires that has paid off for me. I think it’s one of the best interiors in the biz. Soft supple leather everywhere.
With snow tires, it is as capable as any other x-drive BMW sedan that I have had in the snow. I put snows on it one winter, but not since. Ground clearance would be an issue for deep snow. I run all season pilot sports yr round, and have an X3 I use if the weather is bad. I live in Colorado, and if we get an inch or 2 of snow, I have no issues getting around on the all season tires.
I think it’s a masterful combination of performance, luxury, utility and style. I expect maintenance and repairs to be similar, but likely a little more expensive than a similar age/ mileage 650xi. As for resale value, I hope it will hold up a little better than an M6gc, or 650gc as there were not that many Alpina’s produced.
Feel free to PM me with any additional questions. Good luck in your search!

Well said!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the summary. I'm diligently looking!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
JMadsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6501

650i M package

don't buy it, unless you are seeking a therapeutic vibration through the chassis and seat, at highway speeds 65-80 mph. BMW claims that this is a normal characteristic of this engine transmission combination, and they walk away from owning the problem. I am now stuck with an official lemon, with zero resolution in sight.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadsen View Post
don't buy it, unless you are seeking a therapeutic vibration through the chassis and seat, at highway speeds 65-80 mph. BMW claims that this is a normal characteristic of this engine transmission combination, and they walk away from owning the problem. I am now stuck with an official lemon, with zero resolution in sight.
That is not normal. Sad to hear that they are telling you it is. I'm guessing you've ruled out the common stuff (tires, wheels, balancing, engine mounts, transmission issues)?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Yeah, as stated above, that is not normal. Mine has no vibration at any speed. And your situation is not a common refrain on forums either.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
While unfortunate this is certainly an exception. Hope you get it smoothed out
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
LisaLannister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

I was also considering buying a B6 but after testing one, I decided to keep my 650xi. While the B6 is faster, it does not drive at all like my 650, feeling heavier and not at all as surefooted. My 650 is fast enough, of course, and is more of a drivers car in its responsiveness and I am sure it is simply a more fun car to drive on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting about the fun factor.

I am also thinking about cost/reliability issues. The ones I've seen so far tend to have at least 40K miles (Some with many, many more). Are their engines prone to the same problems as other N63's? I'm also worried about parts availability and cost longer-term. I kept my trusty old e38 750iL and some of the parts are getting really hard to find (like the electronic switch that manages the dual battery system). I like to keep my BMW's for a very long time. Am I setting myself up for disaster by even considering the Alpina? Thanks for any further opinions/advice!

PS - For anyone who has experienced N63 "failure," how does it go? From what I've read it is typically an increase in oil leaks etc. rather than a sudden catastrophic failure. Is this an accurate synopsis?

Last edited by kosmokratur; 12-25-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
dagoo98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokratur View Post
Interesting about the fun factor.

I am also thinking about cost/reliability issues. The ones I've seen so far tend to have at least 40K miles (Some with many, many more). Are their engines prone to the same problems as other N63's? I'm also worried about parts availability and cost longer-term. I kept my trusty old e38 750iL and some of the parts are getting really hard to find (like the electronic switch that manages the dual battery system). I like to keep my BMW's for a very long time. Am I setting myself up for disaster by even considering the Alpina? Thanks for any further opinions/advice!

PS - For anyone who has experienced N63 "failure," how does it go? From what I've read it is typically an increase in oil leaks etc. rather than a sudden catastrophic failure. Is this an accurate synopsis?
I've had 2 customers in the last 3 months with seized N63 engines because a leaking fuel injector hydrolocked the engine. Very sudden failure is definitely possible. BMW sells rebuilt engines for $3500 because they are failing so often.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #12
Irina Gonsk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina,

B6 uses N63TU which is a complete redesign from the disastrous and least reliable N63, more than that Alpina took it to more refined level than BMW, there is a differentiation in the engine compartment, air intake ducting, Piston heads, modified exhaust system & transmission as well, all added to the B6, the outcome is 590 NM 0-60 3.6 seconds 591 hp, AWD.

Remember N63 engine has been in production since 2008, used in 5, 6, 7, x5, x6 series, the latest 850xi uses N63 as well.

N63 engine post 2012 ironed out many of the prior issues.
B6 is an amazing car & so unique.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #13
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

As others have stated in this thread as well as many others across the internet, N63 problems are well documented. N63TUs (built 2013 and after on 650s) remedied most of those issues. I've had both an N63 and the newer N63TU. The N63 was a mess but the TU version has been trouble free.

Regarding the Alpina, I'm not an owner but my personal opinion is that performance wise, it a nice happy medium between the 650 and the M6. Most M6 drivers state that can't even get their power to the ground without spinning out. On another note, my personal opinion regarding the looks of the B6 is that it appears as if someone took a non M sport model and tacked on a body kit (which is essentially what they did). I also don't care for the large 'ALPINA' badging on the back of the car.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
As others have stated in this thread as well as many others across the internet, N63 problems are well documented. N63TUs (built 2013 and after on 650s) remedied most of those issues. I've had both an N63 and the newer N63TU. The N63 was a mess but the TU version has been trouble free.

Regarding the Alpina, I'm not an owner but my personal opinion is that performance wise, it a nice happy medium between the 650 and the M6. Most M6 drivers state that can't even get their power to the ground without spinning out. On another note, my personal opinion regarding the looks of the B6 is that it appears as if someone took a non M sport model and tacked on a body kit (which is essentially what they did). I also don't care for the large 'ALPINA' badging on the back of the car.
I completely agree on the Alpina body kit... the front is awful. Why they choose a non-m sport bumper and tacked on a lip with massive ALPINA across it looks completely out of place. The rear bumper I don't mind actually. The wheels have never been for me, I get it's their 'thing' but I prefer a more aggressive design.

It is sooooo easy to get power out of the n63tu, the engine is clearly detuned to create a gap between the m6. With about $5-6k in mods you can turn the n63tu into a 600+ hp car. With draggy a few of us are also starting to hit high 10s which is insane for a big heavy car like the 650.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #15
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you everybody. I still like the 6 style but I ended up getting a CPO 2018 M550. I DIY many things but I decided I really wanted the CPO warranty while decide if I have a good one vs. a lemon - - - and the CPO 650's I saw were much too pricey. The Alpina I almost bought is still for sale 2 months later; decided it was too much of a gamble for me but I hope it finds a good home. Have to say it was the prettiest BMW I've ever seen, even compared to some gorgeous e9's I looked at many years ago.
Appreciate 1
HeyKC101.50
      01-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #16
eye4speed2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina B6

Back from the dead because I want one. Aside from the jump in HP from 2015 to 2016+, any other changes to look out for?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:48 PM   #17
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Quote:
I have the same problem and got the same response from BMW. BMW sent out an engineer to drive it and immediately said "its the torque converter - but Its within tolerance". That was after the dealer hit me up for 2 new wheels, 2 new tires, straightened 6 wheels and balanced wheels 12 times. Not sure why they did all that work if it was within tolerance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:17 AM   #18
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
I have the same problem and got the same response from BMW. BMW sent out an engineer to drive it and immediately said "its the torque converter - but Its within tolerance". That was after the dealer hit me up for 2 new wheels, 2 new tires, straightened 6 wheels and balanced wheels 12 times. Not sure why they did all that work if it was within tolerance.
I get it too. At freeway speeds (70 - 75 mph) in comfort or sport modes (not sport+) on slight inclines like going over an overpass. Otherwise it never happens. Just decided to live with it.
Appreciate 0