BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Howling CCB Brake Noise....Is there ANY real remedy?

So I've read multiple threads on this forum about people with squeaky CCB's but my problem is worse than that its like a damn loud violin harmonic noise when i brake most of the time (when the foot is partially on the brakes). I bought this car used 3 months ago with 33k miles on it and a couple people told me forgo the CCB's but I wanted a SMB fully loaded with comp pack and the only one at the time that looked good had the CCB's. I have tried a couple things people on those threads discussed which is rinsing/spraying the rotors when cold and bedding the hell out of the brakes. Each one fixes the issue maybe for ONE DAY and then its back to the harmonic noise.

I took the car in a few days ago to BMW since I'm still under warranty and they told me these are "normal" noises the CCB's make (they even showed me a SIB about it)....I have to believe that THIS noise is not normal....Anyone in here that was able to fix the issue? thx
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

This is a video (of a C63s but still) of the exact noise my car makes when braking most of the time

https://player.vimeo.com/video/256801915
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
So I've read multiple threads on this forum about people with squeaky CCB's but my problem is worse than that its like a damn loud violin harmonic noise when i brake most of the time (when the foot is partially on the brakes). I bought this car used 3 months ago with 33k miles on it and a couple people told me forgo the CCB's but I wanted a SMB fully loaded with comp pack and the only one at the time that looked good had the CCB's. I have tried a couple things people on those threads discussed which is rinsing/spraying the rotors when cold and bedding the hell out of the brakes. Each one fixes the issue maybe for ONE DAY and then its back to the harmonic noise.

I took the car in a few days ago to BMW since I'm still under warranty and they told me these are "normal" noises the CCB's make (they even showed me a SIB about it)....I have to believe that THIS noise is not normal....Anyone in here that was able to fix the issue? thx
I would say to try another brake pad set from a different manufacturer it would be your cheapest option, on my e63s has steel rotors I swapped the pads to low dust and they squealed like crazy ,then I swapped then to EBC ceramic red stuff and problem solved better initial bite lower dust and no more squeal
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
ayhsmb81
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP CCB

Same exact problem. It's somewhat embarrassing. Let's find a cure.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayhsmb81 View Post
Same exact problem. It's somewhat embarrassing. Let's find a cure.
The cure is getting new oem brake pads (in my case)....mine were at 4-5mm when I replaced them, they are 12mm new
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
The cure is getting new oem brake pads (in my case)....mine were at 4-5mm when I replaced them, they are 12mm new
At least you were within the specs of needing a change. That would suck if you were at 10mm.

Btw, what did your CBS say as for the mileage to the brake change?
      07-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
ayhsmb81
Rep

Quote:
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the replacement pads?

*I already did some light googling and have yet to find them.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the replacement pads?

*I already did some light googling and have yet to find them.

Here you go:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...6-BMW-M6&mg=34
      07-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
ayhsmb81
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

Thank you for that Intel regarding the part numbers.

With that, what I was really after (which I should have asked more directly in retrospect) is whether or not OP had to replace strictly the pads or the rotors too.

The latter being a larger bummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for that Intel regarding the part numbers.

With that, what I was really after (which I should have asked more directly in retrospect) is whether or not OP had to replace strictly the pads or the rotors too.

The latter being a larger bummer.
There's no reason behind this concept, but gen 1 CCB owners (circa 2005-09 Porsche and Ferrari owners) have recommended replacing pads when they're half way through for rotor longevity. The pads themselves are $1000

You need to read this thread in its entirety. There are only 2 accurate and 1 inaccurate way of measuring rotor wear. A F80 owner replaced CCBs twice as he tracks on them. The inaccurate measure is just an eyeball check of a wear indicator, the other methods are more accurate and requires removing the rotors and weighing them, or using the Carbotech tool that costs an ungodly amount.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1302752&page=3

I wanted to buy a M6 with CCBs. But my planned ownership would span the 70k mile marker and I would have been the owner dumping $12k into replacing them on a car that would be worth about $30 by that time, or I would have to discount the sales price on the car and convince the next buyer to take on the liability.

This is why I think in 6-8 years, all CCB cars will sell at a discount to steel rotor cars, unless they've had CCBs changed.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-07-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
ayhsmb81
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
There's no reason behind this concept, but gen 1 CCB owners (circa 2005-09 Porsche and Ferrari owners) have recommended replacing pads when they're half way through for rotor longevity. The pads themselves are $1000

You need to read this thread in its entirety. There are only 2 accurate and 1 inaccurate way of measuring rotor wear. A F80 owner replaced CCBs twice as he tracks on them. The inaccurate measure is just an eyeball check of a wear indicator, the other methods are more accurate and requires removing the rotors and weighing them, or using the Carbotech tool that costs an ungodly amount.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1302752&page=3

I wanted to buy a M6 with CCBs. But my planned ownership would span the 70k mile marker and I would have been the owner dumping $12k into replacing them on a car that would be worth about $30 by that time, or I would have to discount the sales price on the car and convince the next buyer to take on the liability.

This is why I think in 6-8 years, all CCB cars will sell at a discount to steel rotor cars, unless they've had CCBs changed.
Again, very informative.

The idrive indicates much meat left coupled with the age and visual wear sensors I believe I'm in the pad replacement category.

I'll follow-up with results.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Again, very informative.

The idrive indicates much meat left coupled with the age and visual wear sensors I believe I'm in the pad replacement category.

I'll follow-up with results.
I believe the idrive only estimates pad wear. What does it say right now?