BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

early disc failure

Has anyone experienced early disc judder after a hand full of miles, I have found that when braking firmly at motorway speeds i get considerable steering judder vibration. My cars only done 3k miles
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Has anyone experienced early disc judder after a hand full of miles, I have found that when braking firmly at motorway speeds i get considerable steering judder vibration. My cars only done 3k miles
Hopefully you got it resolved by now. If not then it sounds like the material on the brake pads haven't transferred evenly to your rotors.

You need to do a rotor break in by driving up to 60-70 mph then slow down rapidly to 40-30 mph. Repeat that step 3-4 times. During that process it's very important that you don't come to a complete stop to cause a burn in on the rotors.

After completed the process above drive the car for 10 -15 min to cool down the rotors . Again, it's important that you don't stop during this process as well.

Tips: Drive the car on a freeway at night would allow you to do that process. Don't do it during day or traffic hrs

I hope I wasn't too late. You can research rotor break in process and they would have more details. However, the process I wrote above pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0