BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #1
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

recently purchased Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4

We recently purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 and road noise seem to be the same as our older Pilot Sport 4S run flats (with dry rot). Only had it for a few days, does it need a break in period before it run a little bit smoother? I was under the impression that a new set of non run flats would increase comfort ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

They should run a little "smoother" than the run flat version. Make sure they are not over pressurized.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Also consider what roads/streets you were driving on when you got that impression. Busy streets are typically way noisier because the smooth asphalt top surface wears away exposing the gravel aggregate. They look the same as other streets, but can have an incredible difference in tire noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:34 AM   #4
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
They should run a little "smoother" than the run flat version. Make sure they are not over pressurized.
I'll double check, i assumed discount tires know what they are doing... thanks
Guess I'm expecting a big difference on ride quality as others reviewed. I should of went with the Conti you recommended on another thread, it was much less expensive too
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Also consider what roads/streets you were driving on when you got that impression. Busy streets are typically way noisier because the smooth asphalt top surface wears away exposing the gravel aggregate. They look the same as other streets, but can have an incredible difference in tire noise.
Same roads and same time as my usual route to/from the office the last couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Road noise and ride comfort are not the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Mann View Post
Road noise and ride comfort are not the same thing.
What I'm trying to say is road noise and ride comfort did not improve with the new non RF tires over the older RF tires. not sure if there is a break in period with new tires.

thanks your contribution to the thread
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I do not think there is really a break in period. I did exactly what you did - went from run flats to AS 4+ and while I did notice an improvement, it was not a "wow" reaction. I was expecting more based on posts here.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

I actually went the other way on my previous C7 Corvette and experienced a noticeable stiffening with the runflats.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I do not think there is really a break in period. I did exactly what you did - went from run flats to AS 4+ and while I did notice an improvement, it was not a "wow" reaction. I was expecting more based on posts here.
That's exactly my first impression, but going from rock hard old run flats to new non runflats should yield some of improvements, but sadly not the case
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Related question: are all-season tires known to be significantly noisier than summer-only gumballs? I ask because of 2 anecdotal experiences:

1) On my 650i, when I went from old runflats to new non-runflats (summer tires, bridgestone S007 at the time, though I'm on to PS4S now), I definitely got that "WOW" experience of how much smoother and especially quieter they were.

2) On the family minivan, I tried my darnedest to find the quietest, smoothest-riding all-season tires for long road trips (ended up with Michelin Primacy Tour A/S), and it was, ya know, ah-ight, for a little while, but quickly back to markedly noisier than my summer-tires equipped bimmer.

I know there're about a million variables in play, but the base question of whether A/S tires are inherently noisier than summer tires I guess is the point here?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #12
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
Related question: are all-season tires known to be significantly noisier than summer-only gumballs? I ask because of 2 anecdotal experiences:

1) On my 650i, when I went from old runflats to new non-runflats (summer tires, bridgestone S007 at the time, though I'm on to PS4S now), I definitely got that "WOW" experience of how much smoother and especially quieter they were.

2) On the family minivan, I tried my darnedest to find the quietest, smoothest-riding all-season tires for long road trips (ended up with Michelin Primacy Tour A/S), and it was, ya know, ah-ight, for a little while, but quickly back to markedly noisier than my summer-tires equipped bimmer.

I know there're about a million variables in play, but the base question of whether A/S tires are inherently noisier than summer tires I guess is the point here?
I think you made a valid point... on our X5 we have two sets; a set of 21" Pzero summer runflats and another set of 20" Nokian (all weather) non runflats. Honestly both run similar for ride quality and road noise. The Nokian slightly smoother when hitting potholes but thats because it has a thicker wall, also maybe because they are slightly newer, but overall similar.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #13
Flintstone148
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F 12/2018 BMW F15 50i

What type of flat protection/temp repair does everyone use on regular tires as the 650 does not have a spare?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #14
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone148 View Post
What type of flat protection/temp repair does everyone use on regular tires as the 650 does not have a spare?
I keep a plug kit and 12v pump in the trunk, and a AAA card in my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #15
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Since almost all flat tires are caused by nails, screws etc. resulting in slow leaks, all you really need is a small portable air compressor to keep the tire inflated until you get the car to a repair facility. With tire pressure sensors you can monitor the tires inflation. Don't pull the object out of the tire, consider it a temporary plug.

Sometimes I've found a small nail/screw in a tire and when I applied a soapy water (or spit) to the object, it did not bubble up. In those cases, pulling the object out was okay because it did not puncture the tire. If it bubbles up, the tire will need to be plugged.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #16
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
With tire pressure sensors you can monitor the tires inflation. Don't pull the object out of the tire, consider it a temporary plug.
Good point, let me emphasize: The plug kit is only a last resort to extend my limp-home range in the case of a big/fast leak.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:08 PM   #17
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
What I'm trying to say is road noise and ride comfort did not improve with the new non RF tires over the older RF tires. not sure if there is a break in period with new tires.

thanks your contribution to the thread
My comment was in reference to you complaining about road noise and ride comfort. I know of nobody who claimed road noise went down when switching to non-runflats. IF they did, I never saw it.

Road noise is caused by the tread pattern more than the structure of the tire. More grooves for wet traction will cause more road noise, and the actual pattern or the tread itself can cause increased road noise. While the structure can aid in the noise, it is not the cause of the noise.

The structure of the tire does, however, impact the ride quality. Runflat tires tend to be stiffer than non-RF's when it comes to bumps and potholes. I changed out the RF's on mine, and noticed an immediate change in how the crappy roads here in NC were not as noticeable with the new tires. Road noise was not noticeably different.

I am sure that you can find runflats that are quieter than non-RF's, and vise-versa. But equating the road noise and ride comfort as the same thing is not accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #18
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Mann View Post
My comment was in reference to you complaining about road noise and ride comfort. I know of nobody who claimed road noise went down when switching to non-runflats. IF they did, I never saw it.
You wrote "Road noise and ride comfort are not the same thing." I'm aware of that. Do you want me to rephrase my original post?
Well just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't existing, hence me asking the questions because i dont see any improvement since switching.

Road noise is caused by the tread pattern more than the structure of the tire. More grooves for wet traction will cause more road noise, and the actual pattern or the tread itself can cause increased road noise. While the structure can aid in the noise, it is not the cause of the noise.

The structure of the tire does, however, impact the ride quality. Runflat tires tend to be stiffer than non-RF's when it comes to bumps and potholes. I changed out the RF's on mine, and noticed an immediate change in how the crappy roads here in NC were not as noticeable with the new tires. Road noise was not noticeably different.

I am sure that you can find runflats that are quieter than non-RF's, and vise-versa. But equating the road noise and ride comfort as the same thing is not accurate. I'm not equating those two are the same. I'm saying, I dont see any improvement in road noise and ride comfort.
d
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #19
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
d
Ahh, it was apparently grammar that got me.

You meant "road noise OR ride comfort"

The "and" ties them together in the Enrish language, my bad. I should drink more when I read posts these days. I take stuff too literal.

Carry on.

As a side note, they are redoing I-40 near my house. Whatever they are using to pave with gives my Michelin AS3's the worst road noise ever. I thought it was the tires until I had to get the rental while mine was in the shop after getting rear ended. The Goodyear's on the Challenger were worse than the Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 05:56 PM   #20
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Run flat tires will transmit more "high frequency" noise/harshness by vertu of their stiffer sidewalls. The more flexible sidewall of non-rf tires will not transmit as much "harshness".
Appreciate 0