BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

leather trim adhesive?

I've noticed that the leather trim along the top of the windshield, under the convertible top (when it is up and locked) is wrinkled/buckled a bit. It looks like I just need to pull it back from under the weather stripping and apply some contact adhesive to get it to stay flat on the plastic piece under it. Thoughts on this? Any old brush on contact adhesive work?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The M6 must be different up there. A 650 is not leather up there. Pic? It may have gotten damp and the original adhesive pulled away. But yes, the contact cement in the brown bottle would be ok, but it can be lumpy if you use too much. Even if it is leather, it is not actually leather in terms of coming straight off the cow like the seats are. It's a reconstituted leather that I'm sure has a cloth backing. Depending on what it actually looks like, I personally might tape off everything really good and use lots of plastic sheeting until just the area where glue is need is exposed and use a shot of 3M spray adhesive. Works great and no lumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

"leather" might be inaccurate... But here it is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0