BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-15-2023, 02:21 AM   #1
Gablelad
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW640d Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

F12 convertible roof function with key fob?

Hi all.
I have a 640d convertible and live in England.
Is there any way I can adapt/use my key fob to open and close the roof function?
It is a 2016 model.
Thanks
Gablelad
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
3906
Rep
6,793
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gablelad View Post
Hi all.
I have a 640d convertible and live in England.
Is there any way I can adapt/use my key fob to open and close the roof function?
It is a 2016 model.
Thanks
Gablelad
if you don't have a paperback version of the owners manual...or you haven't downloaded a PDF version to a device of your choosing...there's an owners manual embedded in iDrive that has multiple ways of searching (keyword, pictures, quick reference, and there's even some videos).

From the owners manual...it says if you have the COMFORT ACCESS option...you can open/close the convertible top with the remote fob....as well as use of the comfort access DOOR HANDLES.
Attached Images
    
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-15-2023 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
1087
Rep
2,718
Posts

Drives: '15 650i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I can do it on my car, but I've only done it once or twice because you have to hold the unlock button on the fob the whole time and be standing really close to the car. It feels stupid, like "why am I standing here?" - and I'd rather just sit down and hold the console button.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
1087
Rep
2,718
Posts

Drives: '15 650i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

BTW, yesterday I left you a more detailed response on your frayed elastic cord in case you did not see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
3906
Rep
6,793
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
...you have to hold the unlock button on the fob the whole time and be standing really close to the car...
Since water increases the RF signal...I wonder if you hold the remote close to your head (ear/forehead/chin/etc)...if it will increase the range the same way it does if you try to UNLOCK/LOCK the vehicle from a far distance?

Not calling you a waterhead ...but our heads do naturally contain a large amount of water...which is why holding the remote close to it usually helps when trying to use the remote from a more than normal distance.

According to most scientific estimates, somewhere between 73% and 78% of the human brain is made up of water. This is higher than the average for the entire human body, which is somewhere between 55% and 60% water (with men having a slightly higher percentage of water in their bodies than women).
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 10:42 AM   #6
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
25
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

According to most scientific estimates, somewhere between 73% and 78% of the human brain is made up of water. This is higher than the average for the entire human body, which is somewhere between 55% and 60% water (with men having a slightly higher percentage of water in their bodies than women).
So THAT explains it! Mars/Venus, etc…
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
1087
Rep
2,718
Posts

Drives: '15 650i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Since water increases the RF signal...I wonder if you hold the remote close to your head (ear/forehead/chin/etc)...if it will increase the range the same way it does if you try to UNLOCK/LOCK the vehicle from a far distance?

Not calling you a waterhead ...but our heads do naturally contain a large amount of water...which is why holding the remote close to it usually helps when trying to use the remote from a more than normal distance.

According to most scientific estimates, somewhere between 73% and 78% of the human brain is made up of water. This is higher than the average for the entire human body, which is somewhere between 55% and 60% water (with men having a slightly higher percentage of water in their bodies than women).
I had to laugh at the notion that me feeling dorky standing beside my car watching the top go down would be improved by me standing there with the remote stuck to the side of my face.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 03:51 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
3906
Rep
6,793
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
So THAT explains it! Mars/Venus, etc…


Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I had to laugh at the notion that me feeling dorky standing beside my car watching the top go down would be improved by me standing there with the remote stuck to the side of my face.
If you’re holding the remote to your forehead as you walk toward the car…others watching may think you’re just shielding your eyes from the sun. That’s one way to play it off.
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
3906
Rep
6,793
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Since the OP has never responded back to the thread…just in case they haven’t…I ran across additional info in regard to different markets (OP is from England)…they may not be able to operate the roof if their market doesn’t allow it…and there’s also a discontinuation of comfort access closing using the door handle after a specific build date.

It would be nice to know if the OP’s market allows for comfort access closing with the remote…update the thread to verify if you come back to check the thread you started.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
Gablelad
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW640d Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve my issue with remote operation of the roof. Some bizarre responses I have to say!
When I purchased the vehicle I tried the car manual and it appears that it is COUNTRY specific. In other words in the UK it will not operate by the remote control.
I did see somewhere that some form of add on adaptor can be purchased however I am not sure where or even how to install such a device.
Thanks anyway for your help
Gablelad
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #11
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
25
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gablelad View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve my issue with remote operation of the roof. Some bizarre responses I have to say!
When I purchased the vehicle I tried the car manual and it appears that it is COUNTRY specific. In other words in the UK it will not operate by the remote control.
I did see somewhere that some form of add on adaptor can be purchased however I am not sure where or even how to install such a device.
Thanks anyway for your help
Gablelad
Good morning. I saw a reference to SmartTop.UK

Might that suit your purposes?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 05:36 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
3906
Rep
6,793
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gablelad View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve my issue with remote operation of the roof. Some bizarre responses I have to say!
When I purchased the vehicle I tried the car manual and it appears that it is COUNTRY specific. In other words in the UK it will not operate by the remote control.
I did see somewhere that some form of add on adaptor can be purchased however I am not sure where or even how to install such a device.
Thanks anyway for your help
Gablelad
Thanks for the update...too bad your market has these features coded off.

I wonder if coding apps like Bimmercode allows the comfort access and remote feature to be coded on (for the soft top)...much like the comfort close feature for the windows in the US market is turned off...but can easily be coded on.
__________________
2015 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`(Moonstone/Cohiba Brown)| 2014 F15 X5 50i MSport (Space Gray/Mocha)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST