03-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #23
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
bmw just did a buy back on my uncles 650 because of this.
I hope I don't have to go through that.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
It's easy to get a false sense of the percentage of cars with major problems when you browse these forums. Some cars certainly have issues, but probably a lot fewer than you'd guess based on people sharing their stories around here.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
It's easy to get a false sense of the percentage of cars with major problems when you browse these forums. Some cars certainly have issues, but probably a lot fewer than you'd guess based on people sharing their stories around here.
An owner will generally post and complain onky when there's a problem.

Very few post to simply say how trouble free their car is.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree on your statement. I 1st started posting anything at all was on MBWorld because of my chronic issue with 2012 ML Bluetec which almost left me in a few major head-on collisions. So, majority of my postings were problems, and it was a great experience b/c of all the supports and recommendations I received. Otherwise, I would never bother joining any car forum conversation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My initial reason for joining was to get recommendations for caring for the Nappa dash in a warm climate.

I feel so shallow compared to your reasons...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #28
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My initial reason for joining was to get recommendations for caring for the Nappa dash in a warm climate.

I feel so shallow compared to your reasons...

May be initially, but your posts are extremely informative. I even subscribed to your YouTube channel. These days, I've been posting ultra shallow stuffs like exhaust, X-Pipe, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
May be initially, but your posts are extremely informative. I even subscribed to your YouTube channel. These days, I've been posting ultra shallow stuffs like exhaust, X-Pipe, etc.
I think this is a good thing.

The more shallow a person's post is, the more likely they are enjoying their car (and not having problems).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
I think this is a good thing.

The more shallow a person's post is, the more likely they are enjoying their car (and not having problems).
I agree. You can't spend this much on a highly impractical car like this and always discuss it using logic and reason. It's a ridiculous car, and I think that's why we love it... when it's not flashing error messages

I can just imagine the looks on most people's faces when we're up in arms about not having an auto trunk (and other first world problems).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nicest car I ever owned.

Will see what they will do about this drive train error next week.

Auto trunk is annoying, but it looks like something that can be retrofitted. I retrofitted my old X5 with factory tow hitch, auto dim mirrors all 3, and back up camera. Auto trunk retrofitting should not be too difficult base on realoem diagram on 5 series with autotrunk option.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #32
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I only have the seat problem. I am very happy with the car. Just hit a year. In two more I get a new car. If it's in the 6 family it will (potentially) have all the improvements and changes we "complain" about.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I would technically agree, but if you look at the people currently posting problem threads, these are people that were here way before the problem existed.

But in my opinion this forum barely has any threads about problems. Most of the threads here praise the car. You guys should take a look at the range rover forum, if you want to see people with problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #34
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just dropped off the car for this problem this morning and picked up this evening. SA said they tested my gasoline and got 89 octane! Engine was just misfiring as I expected at high RPM. Cylinders 2, 4, and 6 was misfiring according to SA. I never once fill it with anything else but 91.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #35
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That sucks! What brand have you been using?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #36
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
I just dropped off the car for this problem this morning and picked up this evening. SA said they tested my gasoline and got 89 octane! Engine was just misfiring as I expected at high RPM. Cylinders 2, 4, and 6 was misfiring according to SA. I never once fill it with anything else but 91.
Someone on the X3 forum had a similar but worse problem with BP (if I recall correctly).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #37
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks! What brand have you been using?
Chevron or 76 only, I never cheap out on gas and fill up at some sketchy off brand pumps. If I wanna save at the pump, then I would be on Prius forum today!

Good thing I chopped the zip ties off my exhaust mod, or they might say it was the damn zip ties!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #38
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Someone on the X3 forum had a similar but worse problem with BP (if I recall correctly).
Ouch, may be BMW gotta make a list of approved gasoline brands, lol

I told SA that I purchased the car, and I am planning to keep this car until the end of its design life cycle or even longer. Therefore, I am not going to be penny pinching on gas and filling it with 89 or 87 gas.

My friend leased Z4 sDrive35i a few years ago. He told his wife that lease end is coming up soon, so he is going to cheap out on gas and fill it with 87 octane. The moment he pulled out from gas station and floored it, the engine check light lit up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=neversummer78;13664127]Ouch, may be BMW gotta make a list of approved gasoline brands, lol QUOTE]

They actually do recommend BP in the owners manual on page 244.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #40
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It happened again tonight at red line in sport mode. Beside blaming the gas quality, dealer swapped ignition coil from cylinders with problem to ones without. They will know if ignition coil is the culprit if it happens again on other cylinders. If root cause is just simply gas, then I can never drive this car the way I thought it was meant to be again. Plus, closest BP gas station is 22 miles away according to Google map.

I never look at other forum, but I wonder if folks with Audi S7/S8 or Mercedes CLS have this problem. Do folks with F10 M5 or F12/F13 M6 have this problem?
Attached Images

Last edited by neversummer78; 03-20-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #41
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wasn't suggesting you MUST use BP, just pointing out that's what BMW recommends. You may want to try that Chevron additive that others have endorsed. I did some research and didn't find anything negative about it. I still don't think addtives should be required, but you have nothing to lose at this point. Just follow directions so you don't over concentrate. BTW, BP is not on the quality fuel website. Shell, Chevron and Mobile are.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the individual gas station is to blame rather than the mother company. Different additives and minute chemical variations between Chevron, Shell, BP, etc. are one thing, but false advertising is a whole different thing...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #43
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Gasoline is gasoline. The only difference, absent malfeasnace on the owner's part, is the additives put in by the name brands. Gasoline is entirely fungible, and all of the delivery trucks fill up at the same terminal off the same pipeline from the same refineries. BP, Chevron, Shell, and Mobile do not get their gasoline from BP, Chevron, Shell, or Mobile refineries.

That said, the additives are different between brands (though what the actual effect of them is is, of course, debatable). "Off brand" stations don't necessarily have to conform to tank, maintenance, and service standards as branded stations, and there's always a chance that the owners are doing something shady, but that's largely a thing of the past. Those inspection stickers on the pumps generally carry a certain amount of weight- gas stations are easy for a jursidiction to shut down, so the risk of screwing around with the gas is very high for a station owner.

Short form- brand loyalty in gas stations makes me laugh, because they're all the same.

On the octane testing, neversummer- your BMW dealer has actual octane test engines in house? That's remarkable!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #44
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I totally agree on the refinery/distribution point. I made the same exact point in another post. However, it is the additives that distinguish one brand from another and get the brand on the http://www.toptiergas.com list. The detergent additives can make a difference, as evidenced by the problems on this forum.

That said, I generally use BP and Mobile based on location convenience and have never had any problems with my BMWs or other vehicles.
Appreciate 0