BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
SeattleJerez
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Looking at buying '16 Comp Edition M6

I've driven an E92 M3 for 6 years, it's time for an upgrade. I went all over the place (and country) in my M3, supercharging it, wrapping it, wheel upgrades, new sound system, etc. I've pushed it to its limit and it's time for something new.

I drove a frozen 17' M6 a couple months ago that was tuned to 700+ HP (ECU tune only) and it seemed raw and brutal, but also had all of the BMW feel (and good nannies) that feel like home. I don't like the M8 and will never miss it.

I came upon a decent deal for a white M6 comp - it has all the obnoxious ///M exterior decals on it which I'll plan to remove immediately. The ownership history is pretty interesting - I have access to all dealer resources. BMW used the car for 45k miles - I can only assume for either track events or a company car. Why they would have it for a company car, I can't tell you. But I also know it hasn't been tracked 45k miles. It may have been a BMW employee car. All dealer serviced. 1 owner.

Comp edition (as I understand it) had 1 sticker price and all options. I'm hoping the comp will hold some value for 2-3 years when I'll sell it. The car in question has one of the highest autocheck scores (well kept/clean car/history/maintenance) I've ever seen.

I'm going to look at it today, as well as another white M6 with about the same miles and nearly the same options, except for the carbon ceramic brakes.

What should I look out for, at a high level? Squeaks/rattles? Blown speakers? What can I poke a stick at or observe?

Should I definitely plan on a warranty if I own the car? (It is not at a BMW dealership and is not CPO)

Lastly, anything you found out after buying the M6 that gave you any fleeting sense of regret? (That wasn't immediately noticeable in a test drive)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
M6 in Bama
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Vert, Saphire Black

45k miles is a lot on a '16. I only have about 15k on my '14.

Wrong on the 1 sticker price for a Comp. There are many options, some worth having, some not. Get the VIN and find out exactly how it is equipped before you buy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
SeattleJerez
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Agreed on the mileage - I bought my M3 with 22k miles and paid a premium for it at the time. In the realm of tradeoffs, I'd rather take slightly higher miles than pay more or sacrifice options.

I know everything about the car, it was $170k MSRP, has executive package, night vision, lane, autonomous, PDC, park cameras, heated/cooled, upgraded sound, HUD, blind spot, heated steering, power rear shade, soft close, etc etc.

I'm not finding much information on M6 competition edition options sheet, where are you seeing that?

Edit: I did find one price sheet that broke out options, but I believe by ordering the "Competition Edition" many of those options were applied automatically (and the options were listed with prices to contribute to the "value" of competition edition) - I don't know that it is possible to find a CE without all options (except executive)

Last edited by SeattleJerez; 02-26-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I came from a 7 year ownership of a E90 M3.

What to look for: Leaks. This car leaks due to turbo oil lines and intercooler coolant lines. Also, the standard BMW things... recent maintenance, etc.

Regrets- None from buying the car. Though I regret selling the E90 M3. I recommend you don't sell the M3 and try to keep both cars. It's just a different experience from the E generation M3. The M6 is blindingly fast, and while it looks big, it drives like a coupe. Also the F06 is pretty much the F10 M5 in a 6 series shell. The wheelbase is exactly the same as the F10 M5 and the car is only about 3 inches longer on the body due to the longer front bumper. All the drivetrain stuff is literally the same as the M5 and just the exhaust piping may be shifted a few inches one way or another. That's it, don't let people tell you it's somehow related to a 7 series.

That said, despite the drivetrain similarities, all the cosmetic trims are completely different than the F10.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      02-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Rosho808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

I have the same car your looking at getting with the exception of mine being a 15. The comp pkg in the 16+ cars had all the same things as the previous comp pkg but with more HP 575 vs 600 albeit its all at the very top of the RPM range. 16's also had face lift headlights and updated screen.

on another note I'm also in Seattle and my M6 is for sale if your interested?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I have no regrets with the M6. It does what it was meant to do well. As mentioned look for coolant leaks (pull off the engine cover) Ask about oil consumption.
Think about how many miles you plan to put on it. You have the CBB. They are probably about 40-50% through their life. If you plan to put on even another 30K the next buyer will need to be prepared to spend 9k on brakes and may want that reflected in the price. On the plus side it is a 1 of 100 car so if there was any F13 to increase in price at some point that would be it. Side note since the Comp received the performance steering wheel I dont think the heat will actually work unless you swap a standard wheel on.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

@SeattleJerez, you may be interested in what the M Registry has to say about the Competition Edition (as opposed to Comp Pack). It's a pretty rare car and should attract a premium price I would have thought, assuming of course that it's well maintained and in good condition. I agree the decals are a matter of personal taste but keeping them keeps the car original. Did you come to a decision yet?

What distinguishes the F13 M6 "Competition Edition" coupe?
To celebrate both the end of F13 M6 coupe production and the success of the M6 GT3 race car, BMW M GmbH produced the limited edition M6 "Competition Edition" coupe between November of 2015 and April of 2016. Two different paint and upholstery schemes were offered: 1) Alpine White III (300) with an M ti-color stripe package inspired by the M6 GT3 racer paired with Black complete Merino leather (X3SW) and Opal White contrast stitching or 2) Austin Yellow metallic (B67) paired with Black complete Merino leather (X3SW) and Atacama Yellow contrast stitching.

For the US market, BMW M GmbH produced a total of 100 examples, 60 in Alpine White III and 40 in Austin Yellow metallic. Another 44 in a mix of both color schemes (including the original Alpine White III pre-production example shown at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show) were produced for left-hand drive markets outside of the USA, specifically Germany, Sweden, Italy, the Netherlands, the Middle East, Russia and Mexico. Japan also received 13 left-hand drive examples under the name"M6 Celebration Edition", all in Austin Yellow metallic.

The M6 "Competition Edition" shares its mechanical specification with the M6 LCI Competition Package, including both the revised chassis settings and enhanced engine management program that raises maximum horsepower from 560 hp to 600 hp and maximum torque from 500 lb-ft to 516 lb/ft. Further cosmetic enhancements include:
—Dark Chrome grille, side gills (with the "M6 Competition" inscription) and door handle clasps
—20-inch "Style 343M" alloy wheels in matte black
—BMW M Performance carbon fiber mirror covers, rear spoiler and lower rear diffuser
—"M6 Competition" badges on side gills and rear fenders
—BMW M Performance Alcantara steering wheel
—BMW M Performance carbon fiber gear lever
—Illuminated door sill plates inscribed with "M6 Competition"
—Inscription on cup holder lid that reads M6 Competition" (all markets except USA) or M6 Competition USA 1/100" (USA only).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I think the Edition is cool. Just wish they made it in GC form.
      02-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I came from a 7 year ownership of a E90 M3.

What to look for: Leaks. This car leaks due to turbo oil lines and intercooler coolant lines. Also, the standard BMW things... recent maintenance, etc.

Regrets- None from buying the car. Though I regret selling the E90 M3. I recommend you don't sell the M3 and try to keep both cars. It's just a different experience from the E generation M3. The M6 is blindingly fast, and while it looks big, it drives like a coupe. Also the F06 is pretty much the F10 M5 in a 6 series shell. The wheelbase is exactly the same as the F10 M5 and the car is only about 3 inches longer on the body due to the longer front bumper. All the drivetrain stuff is literally the same as the M5 and just the exhaust piping may be shifted a few inches one way or another. That's it, don't let people tell you it's somehow related to a 7 series.

That said, despite the drivetrain similarities, all the cosmetic trims are completely different than the F10.
All of this.

Ever since I sold my 11 E90 M3 Comp, something has been missing. I know people praise the E46, and it's glorious, but I loved my E90 just as much as my E46. I bought a new Rubicon, loved it but wasn't for me for what I needed in my life now. Traded for an Rs7, loved it as well, brutally fast, launched consistently and ridiculously fast but got boring. It did everything so well. This M6, is as close to the E90 but with bigger balls. Much bigger balls. It breaks loose in a similar manor, seating position is similar but better, just love it in every way. Only thing I wish is I still had the E90. If you can swing it, do it.

14 M6 GC Comp with 46k is what I bought as well
Attached Images

Flying Ace4984.50