BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
jvoda
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC Competition Package

BMW M6 GC Comp Package 2017 - Possible adquisition

Hello all,

I am new to this forum because I am seriously in love with a BMW Gran Coupe Competition Package from 2017.

- Millage= 23.000 kilometers
- Price = 76.000€ (its in Europe)
- Equipment = Full (if I am not wrong: 01CA, 01CC, 01CD, 0223, 0248, 02MK, 02NK, 02PA, 02PQ, 02VB, 0320, 0319, 0322, 0323, 056, 058, 03AG, 0415, 0416, 0423, 0430, 0441, 0453, 0455, 0464, 0488, 0496, 04MA, 04MC, 04NC, 04UR, 0508, 0548, 0552, 05AC, 05AG, 05AS, 05DL, 0601, 0609, 0610, 0654, 0698, 06AC, 06AE, 06AK, 06AM, 06AN, 06AP, 06AP, 06F2, 06FV, 06NW, 06UK, 06WD, 0760, 07MA, 07ME, 0845, 0868, 0877, 0886, 08KA, 08R9, 08S2, 08S3, 08TF, 08TH, 09AA, 0XD5, A105)

I know the price is not precisely low compared to US prices and also considering that taxes are increasing for thermal engines here in Europe, specially this one that is classified as one of the most polluting cars. So I would try to negotiate the price and/or request the most pre/post selling service they can offer.

I was wondering, with your width experience on this car, if you could advise me on what to check and what to ask to the dealer before buying it.

My thoughts:

1. Features: Check that everything works
2. Error codes: Make a diagnosis to check the history and if it is currently ok
3. Ask for wheels replacement (front ones are at the end of their life)
4. Paint: Clean, polish and coating the paint.
(I personally was even thinking on make a wrap protection in the future)
5. Engine: Make a full service (oil, filters, paddle breaks check/replacement, ...) Also see if there is any way to know the conditions of the engine (not sure how the previous owners treat the car and oil consumption could be an indicator.. ??
6. Interior: Ask for new car mat / trunk protector
7. Software: Ask for the last SW update of all systems in the car (idrive, ...)
8. Battery: Ask to check the battery status and for a replacement if needed

Any suggestion from your experience when it comes to ask the dealer?
What things should I check in a test drive and in general to ensure the car is in perfect conditions?

Here it is the lady, hope you like it as I do.

I promise more pictures if I finally buy it

Thanks a lot beforehand!
Attached Images

Last edited by jvoda; 02-24-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I think buying an used car in Germany is different than the US. Most on the forum here are in the US. A lot of what you mentioned doesn't happen in the US, dealers are not so accommodating.

In the US, most people will just check whether car has accident history and if their lucky find the records of any evidence of recent maintenance.

Some of what you listed does happen in the US if the car is a certified pre-owned status sold by a BMW dealership. BMW CPOs require dealers to at least put on new tires, check the battery, fix codes and perform maintenance.
      02-25-2020, 03:07 AM   #3
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Thats very expensive, the same car in the UK can be had for less than 50,000 euros. I guess if your buying from a BMW dealer the standards and warranty should be similler to the UK in which case you have a very low risk. I would check usual stuff

- Accident damage
- history inc running in
- obtain warranty
- Carbon C brakes are expensive, so replace as part of deal
- check all electrics & systems work
- Would want that front alloy fixed as factory finish is hard to replicate
otherwise not much to worry about in my view

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Thats very expensive, the same car in the UK can be had for less than 50,000 euros. I guess if your buying from a BMW dealer the standards and warranty should be similler to the UK in which case you have a very low risk. I would check usual stuff

- Accident damage
- history inc running in
- obtain warranty
- Carbon C brakes are expensive, so replace as part of deal
- check all electrics & systems work
otherwise not much to worry about in my view

Good luck
50k? I can see those prices in Germany but with more KMs and years than this one... I know that UK market is cheaper but this difference is huge..

Actually it is from a BMW dealership with Premium Selection warranty, hence I hope there are not many surprises

- Accident damage --> clean, according to the dealer
- history inc running in --> not sure what you mean with this.. if it is the maintenance, it looks ok, everything done in bmw.
- obtain warranty --> 2 years, bmw premium selection
- Carbon C brakes are expensive, so replace as part of deal --> i will ask for a
brake pads, independently of what the car says they need to be replaced... lets see
- check all electrics & systems work --> Actually I there were something that were not working when I saw the car (night vision camera, lane change assistance, ....) the seller told me that could be because of the battery, but of course I will ask them to fix any single functional detail the car might have.
otherwise not much to worry about in my view --> do you mean the rim scratches or the tyre replacement? in any case yes... I would ask for a new front tyres.

Thanks a lot! for your advice! appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I think buying an used car in Germany is different than the US. Most on the forum here are in the US. A lot of what you mentioned doesn't happen in the US, dealers are not so accommodating.

In the US, most people will just check whether car has accident history and if their lucky find the records of any evidence of recent maintenance.

Some of what you listed does happen in the US if the car is a certified pre-owned status sold by a BMW dealership. BMW CPOs require dealers to at least put on new tires, check the battery, fix codes and perform maintenance.
Well,... not saying that I could get all my requests from the dealership, actually I just expect they will give me the bmw premium selection guarantee (mandatory), delivering the car in theoretical perfect status of every single function, and maybe front wheels replacement, and nothing else..

I guess BMW CPO is similar to what I know as BMW Premium Selection... then the agreements should be similar if not the same.

Actually, I would need to find out what BMW premium selection includes, such as replacement of break pads, tyres, service check, etc... cause I am not completely sure about that.

thanks a lot for your comments!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
BLACK KILLER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW'16 M6GC

Garage List
Beim Premium Selection kannst du keine Fragen über technischen Zustand des Autos stellen. Das Auto hat noch viel restliche Garantie.
Eigenes, was ich fragen würde:
1. Aus welchem Vorbesitz das Auto kommt. (Wenn Leasing ist, dann ist sehr gut)
2. Wurde das Auto in gleichem Autohaus gekauft, und aller Inspektionen durchgeführt? - kannst du das einfach 70 Tonnen auf den Tisch legen und mit dem M6 den Fahrt geniessen.

PS: 70 Tonnen ist bissl zu viel für diesn Brett.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

if your buying from BMW dealer risk is low, as long you have the warranty no problems

I meant make sure alloy wheels are not damaged
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

A few check list items from my side:

- Confirm there is no damage or rock chips to the windshield. If yes, have Dealer replace.
- Have the Dealer repair all visible wheel damage or replace the wheels.
- Have the Dealer polish and seal the bodywork paint.
- Make sure the Dealer provides you both two sets of key fobs.
- Check for any visible dents in the body work and if so, have the Dealer repair them.
- Check the headlight lens covers for any issues and have the Dealer replce them if required.
- Have the Dealer check the brake pads/shoes/discs and replace if required based on wear.
- Have the Dealer update the infotainment system software and navigation to the latest versions.
- Have the Dealer go through a detailed check to ensure all mechanical/instrument/electronic functions are fully functional.
- Have the Dealer confirm that that the battery, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid will be checked and replaced if required based on service life.
- Have the Dealer provide you a copy of all available maintenance/service records.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:43 AM   #9
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Pretty comprehensive list of possible “claims”... Suggest you first negotiate the price, then present your list of potential fixes... you may also need to be prepared to make some trade-offs between the price and some repairs/fixes... if not, you didn’t bargain hard enough... all probably depend on how long the dealer has had the vehicle - less than 90 days, probably not much negotiating power, longer than 180 days and they are prepared to do a deal...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK KILLER View Post
Beim Premium Selection kannst du keine Fragen über technischen Zustand des Autos stellen. Das Auto hat noch viel restliche Garantie.
Eigenes, was ich fragen würde:
1. Aus welchem Vorbesitz das Auto kommt. (Wenn Leasing ist, dann ist sehr gut)
2. Wurde das Auto in gleichem Autohaus gekauft, und aller Inspektionen durchgeführt? - kannst du das einfach 70 Tonnen auf den Tisch legen und mit dem M6 den Fahrt geniessen.

PS: 70 Tonnen ist bissl zu viel für diesn Brett.
Agree, Premium Selection is a guarantee the car has to be technically ok, and as long as I regularly use the car for the first two year, I should notice if there is something odd to be fixed on it.

When it comes to owners and historical,... I need to find it out.. I am not completely sure yet about all the details.

Yes man but 70 is 70... although lot of fun there I know.. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
if your buying from BMW dealer risk is low, as long you have the warranty no problems

I meant make sure alloy wheels are not damaged
Will do thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post
A few check list items from my side:

- Confirm there is no damage or rock chips to the windshield. If yes, have Dealer replace.
- Have the Dealer repair all visible wheel damage or replace the wheels.
- Have the Dealer polish and seal the bodywork paint.
- Make sure the Dealer provides you both two sets of key fobs.
- Check for any visible dents in the body work and if so, have the Dealer repair them.
- Check the headlight lens covers for any issues and have the Dealer replce them if required.
- Have the Dealer check the brake pads/shoes/discs and replace if required based on wear.
- Have the Dealer update the infotainment system software and navigation to the latest versions.
- Have the Dealer go through a detailed check to ensure all mechanical/instrument/electronic functions are fully functional.
- Have the Dealer confirm that that the battery, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid will be checked and replaced if required based on service life.
- Have the Dealer provide you a copy of all available maintenance/service records.
Thanks for your comments, that's a very very useful list of stuff to consider!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
jvoda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Pretty comprehensive list of possible “claims”... Suggest you first negotiate the price, then present your list of potential fixes... you may also need to be prepared to make some trade-offs between the price and some repairs/fixes... if not, you didn’t bargain hard enough... all probably depend on how long the dealer has had the vehicle - less than 90 days, probably not much negotiating power, longer than 180 days and they are prepared to do a deal...
100% agree and thanks for saying that, i don not want to overwhelm them before reaching an agreement. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

@jvoda, that is a nice looking car. I would think the conditions of buying "approved used" from main BMW dealer in Germany are very similar to UK so you have a guarantee that the car meets their comprehensive checklist criteria for history, servicing, condition of tyres/brakes etc and it comes with BMW warranty. You can ask to see the checklist. I wouldn't be too concerned about cc brakes either. Sure they are expensive to replace but at 23,000 kms it shouldn't be much of a concern to you.

There's always a limit to what a dealer is prepared to offer but it is reasonable to assume that it will be handed over in very good condition and I'm sure it will.

The European price doesn't surprise me. I run both UK RHD and mainland Europe LHD cars and there is a big difference in prices. I paid £45,000 one year ago for a very low miles LCI M6 with comp pack and CCB. I know I couldn't buy in Germany for anywhere near that money. On the other hand the residual value down the line will be better for you.

Let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0