BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Replacing door entry strips

Hi all,

I took delivery of my 640d GC last weekend, we took it for a long drive up to the north of Scotland. I've owned quite a few 3 and 5 series over the years but this car is already my favourite after only a week.

I've already got a hankering to make a couple of mods that aren't too drastic and was first looking into replacing the m sport door entry strips with a set of the BMW Individual entry strips.

I know that it is unlikely that my M sport model will have the necessary wiring loom for the illuminated part of the Individual door strips (only the front ones are illuminated), but i wondered if anyone had any experience of changing the door strips or could confirm if the different door strips (ignoring the illumation part) are interchangable?

From looking at realoem.com, the Individual parts would be numbers 7 and 11 from the image below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

I have the parts and asked a similar question few months ago. Any good sound shop should be able to wire them up to turn on when the door is open, simple enough task into wire into an existing power wire. But it would definitely be helpful to know if the M model is still prewired
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey MSport650Eye,

Yeah I'm planning to get a decent trim removal tool and some of the spare clips and when I have a spare moment get one of the trims off to have a look.

In my preliminary searches on this I came across the following website where you can enter your 7 digit VIN and it shows the various electrical wiring diagrams for your car. Also allows you drill down into the various aspects of the looms and shows which component they relate to.

https://www.newtis.info/

The wiring that powers the illuminated door entry strips comes from the FRM module that controls all interior and exterior lights (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...01708/BKQt11DR).

Its mounted in the drivers footwell (See https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...708/1VnYienLfA)

And from the FRM electrical diagram (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ing/1VnbjFl9aC), I can see that nodes E76,77,78 and 79 relate to all 4 doors from the F06.

From there you still drill down into the more detail about the specific wiring (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...01708/CJ3EGvfN).

It's a really good website with lots of information on the wiring. Only problem is it doesn't differentiate between SE and MSport
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

I dunno about the 6, but on the 3 series, these illuminated strips are powered by a tiny Watch battery built into the strip, and trigger by a magnet when you open and shut the door, so no wiring required...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey, yeah when i was looking I saw those being sold from the bmw m performance accessories but unfortunately they don't make them for the F06.

If you go to https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...01708/CJ3EGvfN, you can see the 3 pin connector from the entry plate that connects to the cars electrical system.

Spare clips and trim removal tools are now i the post so will give you all an update once I get a chance to remove the trims.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

watching with interest as its a nice touch

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Also watching with interest in case anyone finds out.

I do wonder that if the car is optioned with S4URa (ambient interior lighting) if the wiring will be there because items #4 (front) & #9 (rear) are illuminated if optioned with S4URa.

So if you have the M sport pkg and the ambient interior lighting...there may be a possibility that the wiring harness is there but bundled/tied/taped up since it won't be used. It would be cheaper overall for BMW to have as few wiring bundles as possible. If GCs can be optioned with ambient lighting...then why create multiple ambient lighting wiring harnesses just because one model may not come with illuminated entry strips?

If anyone with the M-sport pkg (option P337a) gets an opportunity to pull up their entry strips and you also have the ambient interior lighting option (S4URa)...then look for the wiring connector and report back.

Another thing that makes me wonder if the 3-wire electrical connector (for the illuminated entry strips) is there is when you look at the wiring diagrams Doughnutlord posted...then pull up the wiring harness diagrams for the doors in the part database. The part database only lists ONE wiring harness part nbr for the rear doors (even though they list two lines...one WITH option S4URa and one WITHOUT it)...so apparently the rear doors may have the connector wired into the harness regardless how the car is optioned. The front door harnesses have a single part nbr for either the left or right door...but gives no indication of options...so the question is...should the connector for the illuminated entry strip be there...but tied-off it the entry strip is not the illuminated type? Hmmmm.

{3 wire connectors for each illuminated entry strips from wiring diagram:
E76 (front left)
E77 (front right)
E78 (rear left)
E79 (rear right)}

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F0...able_harnesses

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-01-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Also watching with interest in case anyone finds out.

I do wonder that if the car is optioned with S4URa (ambient interior lighting) if the wiring will be there because items #4 (front) & #9 (rear) are illuminated if optioned with S4URa.

So if you have the M sport pkg and the ambient interior lighting...there may be a possibility that the wiring harness is there but bundled/tied/taped up since it won't be used. It would be cheaper overall for BMW to have as few wiring bundles as possible. If GCs can be optioned with ambient lighting...then why create multiple ambient lighting wiring harnesses just because one model may not come with illuminated entry strips?

If anyone with the M-sport pkg (option P337a) gets an opportunity to pull up their entry strips and you also have the ambient interior lighting option (S4URa)...then look for the wiring connector and report back.

Another thing that makes me wonder if the 3-wire electrical connector (for the illuminated entry strips) is there is when you look at the wiring diagrams Doughnutlord posted...then pull up the wiring harness diagrams for the doors in the part database. The part database only lists ONE wiring harness part nbr for the rear doors (even though they list two lines...one WITH option S4URa and one WITHOUT it)...so apparently the rear doors may have the connector wired into the harness regardless how the car is optioned. The front door harnesses have a single part nbr for either the left or right door...but gives no indication of options...so the question is...should the connector for the illuminated entry strip be there...but tied-off it the entry strip is not the illuminated type? Hmmmm.

{3 wire connectors for each illuminated entry strips from wiring diagram:
E76 (front left)
E77 (front right)
E78 (rear left)
E79 (rear right)}

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F0...able_harnesses

thanks for this, like i said I have the illuminated strips sitting in a box and just haven't had the time to go mess around in there yet...
i hope that it is though..that would make like much easier...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Any answers on this yet? I upgraded my 3 series to illuminated door strips, and it was a lovely touch. I would like to do the same for my new 6 if it's relatively straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I have a M6 with the M6 lighted plates. I actually like the simple ///M logo ones. I'm debating about pulling mine and swapping with the ///M logo one. I guess if I do it, I'll let you know whether the M6 is prewired.
      08-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #11
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey all, in terms of a little update. Last weekend I had a spare hour so I pulled off some of the trim panels to have a look. You only need to pull off the curved plastic panel that sits over the door rubber seal and the panel under the dashboard where the bonnet release catch is.

Once these were off, you can see the FRM module (behind the bonnet release catch panel) and the wiring harness coming from this. It runs in a little channel in the bodywork underneath the carpet (which you can pull back once the curved panel is off). I couldn't see any loose connectors but there was lump in in the wiring loom which was wrapped in a lot of wiring loom tape but I didn't have the time nor the tools to open this up without risk of me cutting one of the wires. So i think this should be the next stage of investigation.

Interestingly, in the UK:
- SE models come standard with front and rear illuminated sills
- MSport do not have the option of illuminated sills, unless
- If you order either and SE or an MSport with an individual option such as paint or leather, you can optionally add the Individual illuminated doors sill option (albeit these are just illuminated on the front)
- Lastly, at the tail end of the production, in the UK you could purchase an MSport Limited Edition, which also had illuminated MSport logo door sills.

So it makes sense that only 1 wiring harness would be used to keep costs down.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #12
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Also, I found this video which shows and BMW technician from their Individual team installing illuminated entry strips on an F90. The video is ok, but start watching from 8 mins 30 secs to see the door strips:

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

pics of illuminated entry strips

I was watching a f06 review on YouTube and the fact that the video was shot at dusk and it was snowing is what really caught my eye (not the typical environment for shooting a video). Then at one point the reviewer opened the door and captured the illuminated entry strips (#4 & #9 in the diagram near the top of the thread)..OMG...they are S W E E T !!!!

I knew about the illuminated entry strips...but had never really seen what they looked like until this video. Me likes.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
I was watching a f06 review on YouTube and the fact that the video was shot at dusk and it was snowing is what really caught my eye (not the typical environment for shooting a video). Then at one point the reviewer opened the door and captured the illuminated entry strips (#4 & #9 in the diagram near the top of the thread)..OMG...they are S W E E T !!!!

I knew about the illuminated entry strips...but had never really seen what they looked like until this video. Me likes.
interesting...those are yellow colored lights. Mine on my M6 are white.

I'm guessing the BMW ones are yellow, M ones are white and Alpina ones are blue.

08-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yea they are a nice touch... I have always liked the illuminated door sills rather than the ground projector things
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:49 AM   #16
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnutlord View Post
Hey MSport650Eye,

Yeah I'm planning to get a decent trim removal tool and some of the spare clips and when I have a spare moment get one of the trims off to have a look.

In my preliminary searches on this I came across the following website where you can enter your 7 digit VIN and it shows the various electrical wiring diagrams for your car. Also allows you drill down into the various aspects of the looms and shows which component they relate to.

https://www.newtis.info/

The wiring that powers the illuminated door entry strips comes from the FRM module that controls all interior and exterior lights (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...01708/BKQt11DR).

Its mounted in the drivers footwell (See https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...708/1VnYienLfA)

And from the FRM electrical diagram (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ing/1VnbjFl9aC), I can see that nodes E76,77,78 and 79 relate to all 4 doors from the F06.

From there you still drill down into the more detail about the specific wiring (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...01708/CJ3EGvfN).

It's a really good website with lots of information on the wiring. Only problem is it doesn't differentiate between SE and MSport
Thanks for this it just what I need to finish up the install. I started messing around with them today. In the pics I have them hooked up straight to the battery just for testing.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:26 AM   #17
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Of course pics didn’t load.. iPhone camera makes them too big.. so I had to take a screen shot of them to upload them. I bought these used off another member and they had a connector that is picture with a positive and a ground so I hooked them straight up to the batt. I looked a little bit for the connector I didn’t see it, but will check one more time, as I was killing some time. I left them in and just pushed the connector up under the trim and ran all the wires to the front so if no connector is there have to figure out where to connect them in the FRM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:31 AM   #18
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

The connectors... also I am short one of these. I tried to search around but the part number eludes me... any help locating it would be appreciated.
I am going to an in-depth search for the harness this weekend and also confirm I have the S4URa and p377a options
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
The connectors... also I am short one of these. I tried to search around but the part number eludes me... any help locating it would be appreciated.
I am going to an in-depth search for the harness this weekend and also confirm I have the S4URa and p377a options
You can see the last 7 digits of the BMW part nbr in your top pic...it looks like it says 6 905 977. You may have to inquire at your local BMW dealership's parts department to look up or check to see if the BMW part nbr has changed.

The Realoem.com website does "partially" list the number and correctly has it as a 3 POL connector...but is vague in that there is no link to a diagram...this is where your local BMW dealership's parts department can call-in for help to dig deeper to see why the partially listed in the database...or find out any changes: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=6905977

EDIT: Someone else in a 2015 thread on the e90Post forum was looking for the same connector...it appears they didn't find any luck with their dealer (but that was 3 years ago and we don't know how good their BMW parts counter person was at retrieving data for hard to source BMW parts):
Here's a picture of the connector which shows both the pinout and part number. It doesn't seem like it's possible to order 61136905977 (at least not at my dealer).

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-16-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      08-20-2018, 12:59 AM   #20
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can see the last 7 digits of the BMW part nbr in your top pic...it looks like it says 6 905 977. You may have to inquire at your local BMW dealership's parts department to look up or check to see if the BMW part nbr has changed.

The Realoem.com website does "partially" list the number and correctly has it as a 3 POL connector...but is vague in that there is no link to a diagram...this is where your local BMW dealership's parts department can call-in for help to dig deeper to see why the partially listed in the database...or find out any changes: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=6905977

EDIT: Someone else in a 2015 thread on the e90Post forum was looking for the same connector...it appears they didn't find any luck with their dealer (but that was 3 years ago and we don't know how good their BMW parts counter person was at retrieving data for hard to source BMW parts):
Here's a picture of the connector which shows both the pinout and part number. It doesn't seem like it's possible to order 61136905977 (at least not at my dealer).

Special thanks goes to PARTS@STBMW for coming across similar information and taking it a step further...

Thank you,
Did some deep research for you and came across the part number, which is 61-13-6-905-977.
Which has been discontinued by BMW.

The same connector for a steering wheel came up with some research for part numbers 61-13-6-931-929 and 61-13-8-377-072.
These two can both be ordered.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1090297

Also, I have to say I ordered some other stuff and the price was significantly lower than anywhere else I have found, definitely contact for whatever you may need and whatever you think you don't and actually do!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #21
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Finally got everything wired in and functional. So even though I have confirm I have the S4URa and p377a options. I could not find the harness anywhere in the bundle. That being said I let the same individual who installed my radar finish up the permanent wiring. It is not plug and play, but it is a matter of finding the correct wires. He was in the shop so I didn’t get pic but it is the red and blue wire that the strips need to be connected to. Passenger was a bit more challenging as he had to remove glove box to access wires. Total cost of mod was 225$.
100 for set of used door sills
125 to wire up properly.

It’s raining right now and still daylight but will take some pics later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #22
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

And not the best pics but... illuminated trim and pedals also installed. Interior upgrades almost done... steering wheel and seatbelts all that’s left
Attached Images

Appreciate 0