BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Lydiamight
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D Motorsport Convertible

Cracked Alloy

I have a UK 640D fitted with 373 20 inch alloy wheels---mileage is 22,000 miles.
A recent vehicle check showed up two hairline cracks on the inner edge of the rear nearside wheel---no loss of tyre pressure. The wheel has not been "curbed" and shows no other signs of damage.
I know that BMW had a lot of problems with cracks in 19 inch wheels some time ago but has anyone had a problem with the 30 inch 373 wheels. The car has a comprehensive BMW warranty and a full BMW service history.
What chances do I have of BMW replacing the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

i doubt they'll fix or replace it, but doesn't hurt to at least try. in america, a specific wheel/tire warranty package if offered to cover it, so it wouldn't fall into the umbrella comprehensive warranty at all.

that said, its not a particularly special wheel, so it can be safely repaired very cheaply at an independent shop
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

I had one break on me. Considering miles driven and the low aspect ratio of the 20s I'd say they'r more durable than the 7 spoke rims I had on my '07 e60 550i which ate two (and the winter wheels took at least half the miles).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

A strange failure really on a 373. Usually the 373's buckle more (and is exactly what usually ends up with these wheels being dumped or repaired even my BMW dealer techs admitted as much, as quote mine are in fairly good condition with minimal issues).

Unfortunately the best you are going to get is goodwill. There is no way this is a warranty issue, end of.

You may have to push though, but do not be surprised if they go no.

If memory serves a single 373 is about 700 on the rear if memory serves. Obviously you will have tyre change over costs as well.

Sadly most of it is down to the road network condition.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

This is worrying as I'm about to pick up a car with the 20" M sport + wheels tomorrow!

I had a similar issue with the 19" M Sport + wheels on my 330d. I broke two from really quite mild potholes at low speed.

Eventually replaced the entire wheel set with 18" at enormous cost and had very little sympathy from the dealer.

To be honest, I don't understand why this ISN'T a warranty issue? It's a part failure. If the wheel buckles/cracks from driving down a normal road, I'm sorry, but that just means it's not fit for purpose. I don't see why BMW get away with this, but somehow they do..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #6
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Part of this will be how stiff the sidewall is of the run flats. Option is to go for non run flats. I've increased the profile of the tyre switching to Michelin's pilot super sports. If I'm honest it doesn't look as sporty with a taller profile, but does give confidence that you can fit 21 inch wheels to the 640d if you wanted to go that route.

For what it's worth, I've got 373's with 80k miles on the clock. They've got what looks to be excessive wheel weights on, but roll true with minimal vibration. Will get them check soon as they need a refurbish.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
This is worrying as I'm about to pick up a car with the 20" M sport + wheels tomorrow!

I had a similar issue with the 19" M Sport + wheels on my 330d. I broke two from really quite mild potholes at low speed.

Eventually replaced the entire wheel set with 18" at enormous cost and had very little sympathy from the dealer.

To be honest, I don't understand why this ISN'T a warranty issue? It's a part failure. If the wheel buckles/cracks from driving down a normal road, I'm sorry, but that just means it's not fit for purpose. I don't see why BMW get away with this, but somehow they do..
A warranty is there to deal with manufacturing defects not caused by external influences though. You have no way of proving it was not due to external influences.

Simple fact as stated any low profile tyre/wheel combination is a risk of damage because of the low profiles involved. In combination with our potholed road network ("normal road" would imply one with only minimal imperfections and maybe light potholes) it can equate ti damaged wheels and suspension.

Something that has shot through the roof this year is such damage as well. This is far from a bmw specific problem.

They may replace under goodwill but there is definitely no warranty claim cover!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Lydiamight
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D Motorsport Convertible

An update on my cracked 20 inch 373 rear wheel----Went to the dealer for a "wheel run out test" They refused any compensation as the allowable tolerance is just 1mm on a 20 inch rim and my wheel was outside of that tolerance.

Faced with a £750.00 plus bill for a new wheel i used Automotive Smart Repairs http://www.automotiverepairsystems.co.uk/ to get the two cracks professionally welded----total cost £51.00 !!!!
Result
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiamight View Post
An update on my cracked 20 inch 373 rear wheel----Went to the dealer for a "wheel run out test" They refused any compensation as the allowable tolerance is just 1mm on a 20 inch rim and my wheel was outside of that tolerance.

Faced with a £750.00 plus bill for a new wheel i used Automotive Smart Repairs http://www.automotiverepairsystems.co.uk/ to get the two cracks professionally welded----total cost £51.00 !!!!
Result
Great result that. Definitely the way to go for me if needed in the future.
Appreciate 0