BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Coding 'Factory Default' Possible?

Howdy, folks.

I may have asked this a while back, but I'm wondering if any of you can offer an opinion on the 'dangers' of re-flashing the car firmware to reset it to factory defaults, more or less the same way you would with a cellphone.

What tipped me off is that I've made a few attempts with Carly to code the sport and HP/Torque displays show, but they're not functional. In other words, the dials show, but they don't move... the sport mode window appears with the green highlighting, but nothing can be selected or changed. Because I'm the second owner of the car, I have no idea what was done previously that might be causing this.

It was suggested that resetting the factory firmware would set the car to a clean 'default' status and might purge any "ghosts in the machine" since the BMW software can, at times, be buggy.

However, I was warned by the dealer that any time that sort of coding is attempted represents a risk to the other modules in the car, and that things can go "big bad" and replacing modules can cost up to thousands if an attempt borks any of them.

So, do you guys think this concern is overstated? Is it possible the dealership is just looking to avoid a low-profit service? Or is there really a potential issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi,
I do not use Carly or other pre-defined tools which do most of it for you but rather use the BMW program E-SYS along with the Launcher by Tokenmaster.
Yes it is possible. If one wants to revert certain settings/parameters or values back to factory default I would only do that for the ECU "affected" and not for all modules. Untouched, uncoded modules (ECUs) usually do not need to go over since factory settings still apply.

With E-SYS this is done via VO Coding. The FA (VO) coding can code either the chosen (selected ECU) or ALL modules to the factory default ECU settings. That is assuming your FA is factory original. Thus any coded values (unwanted as well wanted ones) by the user will be overwritten and everything will be back to stock settings.
If the FA of your car has been modified then you will get something else based on the modiffied FA. That is why people who venture into this sort of stuff should always make a backup of the original FA.
Once you have E-SYS installed and the application connected via ENET cable to the car's OBD the procedure usually takes a few seconds for most modules.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:12 PM   #3
ferdinandlouw@outlook.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

Can you help me with this. I try to Get my bmw to stream bluetooth buttons i really mest it up. Now it shows drivetrain fault and lost of otter faults. It dosent want to start. Please help me to factory coding. I have a bmw 230d 2012.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (ECU)=> Left-Click on module => Select CODE.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:59 AM   #5
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Ive done this with all modules in my vehicle previously to be sure everything was stock after buying the car secondhand. Esys is a very powerful tool.

Just be sure to NOT click “code default values”. This will brick your modules, or at least require programming of them as if they had never been installed in a vehicle.

The other thing to be aware of is that if you’ve retrofitted any modules, do not attempt to click “code” to get it back to factory. It will code it back to it’s default values, which may not be correct for your specific vehicle if it wasn’t installed when the vehicle was manufactured.

I made this mistake with a retrofitted HU NBT EVO and needed assistance getting it set back to the proper parameters to work with my vehicle.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0