BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Steering Wheel Wobble

Has anyone experience of steering wheel judder at motorway speeds, I have started to getting judder at speeds of 80mph onwards albeit very slight, had wheels balanced several time so balancing is perfect, issue still persists, the car is due to have front discs replaced under warranty as I was getting ever so slight pedal and steering judder when braking, not sure discs would cause steering wobble without braking or would they ?

Any view on what may be causing this, totally ruins driving experience

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Did you do an alignment check. Front and rear wheel balanced? Uneven tire wear? Bushings? Wheel bearing?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Wheels refurbed?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
KrazyKorean
KrazyKorean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Has anyone experience of steering wheel judder at motorway speeds, I have started to getting judder at speeds of 80mph onwards albeit very slight, had wheels balanced several time so balancing is perfect, issue still persists, the car is due to have front discs replaced under warranty as I was getting ever so slight pedal and steering judder when braking, not sure discs would cause steering wobble without braking or would they ?

Many Thanks
Its weird, my steering feels like it loose or wobbly when I am parked and I turn it left and right. And I dont think its like the tires catching on the ground since it can happen on all types of tarmac. And it doesnt happen all the time. Not sure if that is happening to you too
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

Not saying this is your issue, but my thrust arm bushings were going bad and this was the first symptom. Jack up the front and wiggle the tires and see if there's any abnormal play.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Will get it all inspected under warranty cars only 18mts old
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
skinner_595
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue as i have the same on the car i have just purchased?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner_595 View Post
Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue as i have the same on the car i have just purchased?
This may sound really remedial, but check your tire pressure as too low of pressure can cause "wobble" at higher speeds.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Tire pressure fixed mine.
      01-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

What tyre pressures do people run. I have been running 2.4/2.4 (bar) but have just increased to 3.1/3.1(bar). I haven’t had chance to check for wobble. Mine starts at around 100 mph. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc3153 View Post
What tyre pressures do people run. I have been running 2.4/2.4 (bar) but have just increased to 3.1/3.1(bar). I haven’t had chance to check for wobble. Mine starts at around 100 mph. Cheers

2.4 bar is 34-35 psi is correct. Don't run 3.1 bar, which is 44 psi. You'll wear down the middle of the tires and ruin them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
2.4 bar is 34-35 psi is correct. Don't run 3.1 bar, which is 44 psi. You'll wear down the middle of the tires and ruin them.
Depends on tire. I run my PSS in front at 36 and my rear R888 at 34. These are cold pressures. You will have the wobble till they warm up. Also, these tires are not meant for cold seasons so it will take longer for the wobble to go away if it ever really does on a short commute. These cars are extremely delicate steering as well. Any little changes in tire pressure, season, the car sitting for a long time creating temporary flat spots; all will affect feeling through the steering.
Maybe get the tire/wheels balanced then play with the pressure. That's really the easiest place to start trouble shooting and most likely the wobble will go away.
      01-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
JC04
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post

Many Thanks

I had a similar issue. Turned out one of my tires was out of round and can't be balanced. I had it replaced and fixed the issue.

If you have another set of tires, you can test it to know whether your wheels/tires or suspension issues. In my case, my car drove perfectly on my winter tires over 100+ mph but the summer wheels/tires created a steering vibration when it's over 80+ mph. Therefore, I knew either my summer tires or rims were not within specs.

I went to multiple places to have my wheels balanced, including road force balancing. They also blamed my rims were bent which I also fixed but didn't resolve the steering vibration issues. Finally, I found a place that actually know how to do road force balance, and they showed me one of my tires was out of round. I had that tire replaced and it fixed the issue of steering wheel vibration over 80 mph.

The issue popped up when I got a brand new set of Michelin PS4 tires. I didn't look too hard into the tires because it was brand new. However, sometime brand new tires are out of round from the factory and cant be balanced at all and it has to be replaced.

Last edited by JC04; 01-21-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
JC04
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
Depends on tire. I run my PSS in front at 36 and my rear R888 at 34. These are cold pressures. You will have the wobble till they warm up. Also, these tires are not meant for cold seasons so it will take longer for the wobble to go away if it ever really does on a short commute. These cars are extremely delicate steering as well. Any little changes in tire pressure, season, the car sitting for a long time creating temporary flat spots; all will affect feeling through the steering.
Maybe get the tire/wheels balanced then play with the pressure. That's really the easiest place to start trouble shooting and most likely the wobble will go away.
Not sure I understand your point in the reply. I understand summer tires will not work well in the cold can have a flat spot if it parks too long. The wobbly happens when the tire pressures too low from the recommended pressures. It will not happen if the tires are rated for the car and the pressure is within the specs. In addition, it doesn't matter what tires you're running when you put 44 cold PSI in it for the 265/35/20 and 295/30/20. It will wear down the middle of tires within a few thousand miles. You also decrease the surface area of the tires that in contact with the pavement. At a result loss of traction.

The spec for 265/35/20 front and 295/30/20 is 34 PSI front and 34 PSI back and you can go up to 36. It's all in the manual. Too far out of those specs you'll wear down your tires evenly.

Last edited by JC04; 01-21-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #15
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
Not sure I understand your point in the reply. I understand summer tires will not work well in the cold can have a flat spot if it parks too long. The wobbly happens when the tire pressures too low from the recommended pressures. It will not happen if the tires are rated for the car and the pressure is within the specs. In addition, it doesn't matter what tires you're running when you put 44 cold PSI in it for the 265/35/20 and 295/30/20. It will wear down the middle of tires within a few thousand miles. You also decrease the surface area of the tires that in contact with the pavement. At a result loss of traction.

The spec for 265/35/20 front and 295/30/20 is 34 PSI front and 34 PSI back and you can go up to 36. It's all in the manual. Too far out of those specs you'll wear down your tires evenly.
I was simply stating there are variables he needs to consider. The symptoms his car is having can derive from the different variables. And just remember, the manual information is not built for every circumstance and for every manufacturer tire, it is a general guideline. Hope you fix your problem OP