BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
uddinsa
Rep
Drives: M6

M6 grand coupe competition 2016 engine seize

Hi all

I am in a very sticky situation.
I bought an M6 2016 around oct 2019 37k mils on it my pride and joy drives beautifully my previous cars were M5 the V10 and F10 now decided to get an M6 with Only one previous owner with full bmw service history still has a service pack, last serviced Aug 2019.
I drove for a month, around end of oct i had to have major knee surgery which took me 4 weeks to start walking again, mean time car wasn't driven as much occasionally driven by my wife for school runs but she too scared to drive it, at times i got the engine running as its not ideal to leave those cars on the drive not used especially in this cold.
After braces off my leg i started driving again felt awesome to get behind it again.

One day a family day out was driving was hearing a knocking rattling sound during transmission change the more aggressive i drive the more louder it gets. Im like mmmh that don't sound right. I got to my destination was only 20 min drive, i was about to drive away loud rattling noise then small squeak sound then BOOM! The engine shuts down. That was it would not start, everything powers up when press start button just click button engine wont start.

Did the usual AA recovery they did all their bits battery etc.. they found was showing low voltage, charged it but still no luck. So recovery to sytner bmw chigwell

This is where the fun starts:

So bmw did all checks cant find anything cant get the car starting. I had a very state of the art alarm system anti hijack etc.. they blamed that first but the company came down and confirmed it wasn't that to make thing easy they took the system off.

Then came the JVB even put a new battery still nothing.

Finally the killer blow, they called me up saying my engine has seized needs a new engine, yup my jaw just dropped.

My immediate response was how is that possible?
A high end performance car just over 3 years old with only 37000m engine seize up, they don't know what the cause is. Car has always had full bmw services on time no issues.

Well you guys can see a fat bill is about to come my way.
Now lets come to warranty. After i bought the car i got a warranty out but an external one warrantywise which gave me a great deal the highest cover on the car.

Total cost for new engine will go more than 20k with labour. My warranty happy to cover 10K for it.

Bmw got back to me i was not happy with it, a 3y old car with low milage that was maintained by them should not have an issue like that. Car was has always been well maintained not abused.

They are my local dealer always go to them with my previous M5's even my wife's 1 series bmw, i am very loyal to them.

So bmw call me back again person name Tony dealing with my case very helpful tried pulling a few strings and gonna push for a goodwill gesture for the car to be repaired with new engine so they gonna strip the engine.
Now there are two scenarios bmw uk may pay for the whole thing i don't have to pay for anything or they may cover for the parts but i pay the labour which can cost upto 5k but as loyal customer tony can bring this down to 2k.

Now my question is 2k is still a big sum contribution from considering a complete mechanical failure from their side.
I don't mean to be an ass some will say pay that 2k and run.

Whats your opinion? Has anyone come across similar scenarios??
I should be hearing back from them on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

From what ive read, spend the 2k and RUN. Many stories in here and im sure folks would LOVE that opportunity.

Question for you, is it stock? What mods if any?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
uddinsa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
From what ive read, spend the 2k and RUN. Many stories in here and im sure folks would LOVE that opportunity.

All stock no modification
Just touch up on body work skirts splitters etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post

All stock no modification
Just touch up on body work skirts splitters etc..
Thats brutal. Private party? BMW dealership? Or used lot?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Just curious. When was the last time you check the oil level in your car? is your car has a history of burning oil?

It seems like there are a handful of people reported their engine burns oil to low in less than a 1000 miles and they would have to constantly top it off.

From what I have read the most common reason for the engine to sized is because the lack of oil in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #6
uddinsa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
Just curious. When was the last time you check the oil level in your car? is your car has a history of burning oil?

It seems like there are a handful of people reported their engine burns oil to low in less than a 1000 miles and they would have to constantly top it off.

From what I have read the most common reason for the engine to sized is because the lack of oil in it.
I had the car just 2 months since purchase, there was no low oil alerts, car was last serviced in August by bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

very strange however these cars for some reason seem to be hit or miss. probably from the 0w-30 oil bmw uses. step up to 5w-40 or 5w-50. if the engine had any history of burning oil i doubt the previous owner would divulge that information. the previous owner of my car said the car burned a little oil, but it was 1 qt every 3500 miles, which is good for these cars.

actually thinking a bit, how often was the oil changed? it should be short intervals on this car, from the heat cycling these motors go through. I understand the maintenance was on time, but what was the oil change interval?
      01-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
JC04
Private
Rep
Drives: MX

Example,

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthr...t=engine+sized

That person had his engine sized and it cost him 8-9k out of pocket at the end. His case is very much like you. He checked his oil and no low alerts. However, the BMW mechanic stated possible of lack of oil. Another case of a guy had his engine sized too and no alert of low oil either, but when they took out the oil, there was metal shaving in it. Again, lack of oil. Many more examples in the m5 and m6 threads if you do a search on "engine seized"

In your case, 2k out of pocket sounds like a good deal since the car is out of warranty. However, you have extended warranty cover, maybe ask them cover the 2k. GL
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
uddinsa
Rep

M6 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC04 View Post
Example,

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthr...t=engine+sized

That person had his engine sized and it cost him 8-9k out of pocket at the end. His case is very much like you. He checked his oil and no low alerts. However, the BMW mechanic stated possible of lack of oil. Another case of a guy had his engine sized too and no alert of low oil either, but when they took out the oil, there was metal shaving in it. Again, lack of oil. Many more examples in the m5 and m6 threads if you do a search on "engine seized"

In your case, 2k out of pocket sounds like a good deal since the car is out of warranty. However, you have extended warranty cover, maybe ask them cover the 2k. GL
My toy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

This is why in my view you should avoid 3rd party warranties for sake of a few hundred pounds, always worth paying a little more for the BMW warranty, that way they have no wiggle room.

Was car purchased from BMW ? if so and if its financed via BMW you will have better redress chances

Still £2k is not bad considering
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
very strange however these cars for some reason seem to be hit or miss. probably from the 0w-30 oil bmw uses. step up to 5w-40 or 5w-50. if the engine had any history of burning oil i doubt the previous owner would divulge that information. the previous owner of my car said the car burned a little oil, but it was 1 qt every 3500 miles, which is good for these cars.

actually thinking a bit, how often was the oil changed? it should be short intervals on this car, from the heat cycling these motors go through. I understand the maintenance was on time, but what was the oil change interval?
I agree with early oil changes in these cars I say no more than 3k just like old school,I change mine every 2.5k,I use 5w40 liquidmoly Molygen ,Last summer I changed from regular LiquiMoly to the Molygen and the oil only had approx 800 miles on it to my surprise the oil was pretty beat up almost black after that short milage interval, the turbos really do a job on it, change your oil more regularly it cheap insurance
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:16 AM   #12
uddinsa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:

I agree with early oil changes in these cars I say no more than 3k just like old school,I change mine every 2.5k,I use 5w40 liquidmoly Molygen ,Last summer I changed from regular LiquiMoly to the Molygen and the oil only had approx 800 miles on it to my surprise the oil was pretty beat up almost black after that short milage interval, the turbos really do a job on it, change your oil more regularly it cheap insurance
Thanks noted.

I had the car only just over a month when i bought it. On my previous M5's i use to keep an eye on the oil.
But i never expected this to happen like this so soon when i even haven't driven it much.
I spoken to the dealer over the weekend he was very nice genuine honest guy he been selling high performance cars for a while i dealt with him before. He does full inspection on all his. He was happy to share the report with the dealers.

He he is also aware of the 6 month consumer right act 2015. As the car is not fit for purpose either get it repaired or i get full refund.
The ball is in bmw court right now. Even if the dealer takes it back and i get my money he will chuck the car right back at bmw to get is sorted as its a major mechanical failure on their behalf.

but I personally still try and keep the car especially this model with the interior etc.. obviously not much M6 are out there as the new M8 is out.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
uddinsa
Rep

Update

So guys hears the final outcome.

Got a call back from Tony today

Gracefully BMWUK has offered to replace it with a brand new engine new turbo all the bits and bob total cost of £36000
My contribution is 5k for labor but when i go to collect Tony said he will work deal for me try to bring it down.
But regardless i feel its still a fair good deal, i mean car out of warranty and they replacing everything ill be driving out with a 0 milage engine with 2 year warranty.

Whats your guys view on this deal??
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #14
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinsa View Post
So guys hears the final outcome.

Got a call back from Tony today

Gracefully BMWUK has offered to replace it with a brand new engine new turbo all the bits and bob total cost of £36000
My contribution is 5k for labor but when i go to collect Tony said he will work deal for me try to bring it down.
But regardless i feel its still a fair good deal, i mean car out of warranty and they replacing everything ill be driving out with a 0 milage engine with 2 year warranty.

Whats your guys view on this deal??
I would do it in 2 seconds. In fact I would pay 5k for a new engine right now with a 2 year warranty for peace of mind and my engine is working fine.
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      01-24-2020, 03:48 AM   #15
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

@uddinsa, I think that's very reasonable offer from BMWUK and reassuring for UK M6 owners at least. I seem to recall that the forum member from the US, whose engine suffered a similar fate, had considerably more difficulty in securing an acceptable outcome.

The warranty on my car has just expired and I've taken out a warranty on major components. Hopefully I won't need it.

Hope the replacement all works well for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Very pleased for Uddinsa that there is a satisfactory outcome over this engine failure.

It does beg the question as to just how frequently we ought to be checking the oil level in these cars. I'm not doing much mileage these days, but try and check mine about once every two weeks. Cars is parked in a garage so I'll immediately see if it's leaking oil. We no longer have the good ol' dipstick, But just how accurate is that electronic measurement system? Mine never moves off the 'Full' mark, even immediately prior to an oil change, which gets carried out at about 7K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
uddinsa
Rep

Well thats all done the beast has waken up.
Car is back home sweet home new engine with 0 milage and dam it feels good to drive.
Big Thanks to Tony from sytner bmw dealership in chigwell for getting the deal done with bmwuk on the goodwill.
Ended up paying only £2600 for labor.

Thanks everyone for your support and opinions on this matter. I hope no1 has to go through all that.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

going forward look into stepping up your oil weight, i hear a lot of talk of redline 5w-50 being a very good alternative.

good to hear its back on the road!
      01-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #19
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
going forward look into stepping up your oil weight, i hear a lot of talk of redline 5w-50 being a very good alternative.

good to hear its back on the road!
I would be a little skeptical of 5w50,I mean in real hot climates it should be fine, but up north on cold starts might not be to good for the engine bearings ,I know the guy troyup rebuilds a lot of the v10 engines and swears by red line 5w50 but thats a NA car, with turbos theres a lot of small lines the the oil is pumped through and being thicker might help one point but damage a next.
Most oils are really good today and I believe changing your oil at much earlier intervals is most important,I think even 5k is to long for an oil change on this engine the turbos beat the hell out of the oil ,I change mine every 2k no more than 3k I use LiquiMoly Molygen 5w40
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #20
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I would be a little skeptical of 5w50,I mean in real hot climates it should be fine, but up north on cold starts might not be to good for the engine bearings ,I know the guy troyup rebuilds a lot of the v10 engines and swears by red line 5w50 but thats a NA car, with turbos theres a lot of small lines the the oil is pumped through and being thicker might help one point but damage a next.
Most oils are really good today and I believe changing your oil at much earlier intervals is most important,I think even 5k is to long for an oil change on this engine the turbos beat the hell out of the oil ,I change mine every 2k no more than 3k I use LiquiMoly Molygen 5w40
I don't think there will be that significant of a difference at cold start, both are 5W. i guess it also goes on if you plan on starting temp, i put my car away until its at least 40F+ outside, so i dont see that 0F cold oil viscosity. Troy has started doing s63s too now and so far there have been good results with it.

I currently run the same 5w-40 molygen, but keep hearing good news with the redline 5w-50, i plan on "upgrading" to that and will keep up on updates for it. The real key i think is the interval time, which you are right on!
      02-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #21
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think there will be that significant of a difference at cold start, both are 5W. i guess it also goes on if you plan on starting temp, i put my car away until its at least 40F+ outside, so i dont see that 0F cold oil viscosity. Troy has started doing s63s too now and so far there have been good results with it.

I currently run the same 5w-40 molygen, but keep hearing good news with the redline 5w-50, i plan on "upgrading" to that and will keep up on updates for it. The real key i think is the interval time, which you are right on!
Yeah were definitely the same page,I guess 5w is 5w but 5w50 just sounds so thick lol.I do the same with the winter if its to cold I won't start it below 30 degrees I usually take the car out when it 40 or higher anyway,I would like to get a little more info on the redline for our cars myself I wouldn't mind to see if its an actual upgrade from LiquiMoly,when I change my oil next time im going to do a Blackstone oil analysis to see how good the Molygen is working if its good I will just stay with it
Appreciate 0