BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-14-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Techies...need some guidance

I'd like to start buying some cheap (~$200) Chromebooks for the local nursing homes so their patients can have Zoom meetings with their loved ones. But if you've ever dealt with Chromebooks, you know the hassle of having your own Google account to sign into the device itself and so on.

So...how do I configure these devices so multiple people can use them to have online sessions with their loved ones? And keep in mind, these need to be set up to do so ahead of time as the nursing home staff most likely will not have tech-savvy folks available.

Generic account login? Seems a bit risky, but if that's the only way...

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 5
HFW0035664.50
Rmtt8206.00
9M711232.50
      05-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

I'm no tech genius, but if I were doing this, which is very generous by the way, I'd type up a very simple 'cheat sheet' outlining login instructions, navigation to specific site / app instructions and sign out instructions, laminate it and then adhere it to each of the Chromebooks palm rest area. Making sure to use a nice clean and large font obviously.

Then for configuration, I'd set up each Chromebook with the apps you think they will use and allow access to these apps for all users.

I'm not sure how many people are at these homes, but I'd carve out an hour when you take the computers down there and show the staff how to create an account. Have staff keep password backups incase they forget there logins, so they can assist.

The problem with all of them using a single account for instance, is there will be too much HTTP stored and will make contacts and app navigation more complicated.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-15-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I found the following:

https://www.chromestory.com/2013/02/...-in-chrome-os/

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-a...our-chromebook

Other than my Android smart phones, I don't have any direct experience with Chrome OS.

And I'll have to throw this out there and I know there are going to be the Zoom fan boys, but if you're worried about security, don't use Zoom. WebEx is much more secure and also free. Just do an online search for Zoom security issues and you'll see a myriad of articles. The Zoom fan boys will also say they're working on fixing the security issues. I rather not be their guinea pig. And then there's their privacy issues with sharing your data with third parties.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Google has their own free video meeting software. Just log in to your gmail account and it’s right there. Surely that will interface the best with a Chromebook. Just sign in and go.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
I'm no tech genius, but if I were doing this, which is very generous by the way, I'd type up a very simple 'cheat sheet' outlining login instructions, navigation to specific site / app instructions and sign out instructions, laminate it and then adhere it to each of the Chromebooks palm rest area. Making sure to use a nice clean and large font obviously.

Then for configuration, I'd set up each Chromebook with the apps you think they will use and allow access to these apps for all users.

I'm not sure how many people are at these homes, but I'd carve out an hour when you take the computers down there and show the staff how to create an account. Have staff keep password backups incase they forget there logins, so they can assist.

The problem with all of them using a single account for instance, is there will be too much HTTP stored and will make contacts and app navigation more complicated.

I work in tech, and this is what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Google has their own free video meeting software. Just log in to your gmail account and it’s right there. Surely that will interface the best with a Chromebook. Just sign in and go.
That would work, but the issue is I doubt most of the residents of this home currently have an active GMail account. Hats off to the OP for doing something like this.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I wonder if tablets would work better? Less worries about contaminated keyboards, etc? Easier to clean, store, and charge. Same relative screen size.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

But more expensive.
If that is all they are using it for then no need for security.
Create one general account that they all use and don't log out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I wonder if tablets would work better? Less worries about contaminated keyboards, etc? Easier to clean, store, and charge. Same relative screen size.
The screens would still need to be cleaned. Based on helping my grandparents who are in their 80s with tech, I think a Chromebook would be simpler for them to use over a tablet.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
But more expensive.
If that is all they are using it for then no need for security.
Create one general account that they all use and don't log out.
I know lots of grade schools use Chromebooks. I should ask if they use a generic account for theirs. I can't imagine every kid that uses a Chromebook in class has a personal account on it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I *think* there is a Guest mode that can be enabled in Chrome OS. The only chromebook and chromebox I have sitting around are old and no longer getting updates so options may have changed. On the chromebox, there was a way to enable a kiosk mode which only ran the application defined. Setting this up was not simple, but would be perfect for your use case....assuming it's still an option in the OS.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I *think* there is a Guest mode that can be enabled in Chrome OS. The only chromebook and chromebox I have sitting around are old and no longer getting updates so options may have changed. On the chromebox, there was a way to enable a kiosk mode which only ran the application defined. Setting this up was not simple, but would be perfect for your use case....assuming it's still an option in the OS.
Thanks. I'll check that out. I have a new and rarely used Chromebook here.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If it was my money, I would buy Amazon Fire Tablets at more than half the price. They have front/rear 2MP cameras, and a native Zoom app free in the Amazon App store.

I have them all over my house, since the tablet is cheaper than a 7" Raspberry Pi LCD screen. I also bought an 8" one to run the Android AlfaOBD scan tool software, and put it in one of these kid's ethafoam cases with a folding handle:

Today's prices are their regular $49/$89/$149 for the 7"/8"/10" Fire tablets. Black Friday and Prime Day sees them drop to $29/$49/$99, and they do drop the price for every "Hallmark" holiday and maybe even for Memorial Day. I'm in another forum where many people stock up and save when these are on sale, because they make great displays for weather station data and home automation dashboards.

The Fire Tablets are popular among people with kids because of their price, and supposedly have great child locks built-in so that Junior doesn't order a doll house on your Amazon account.

The only pitfall is that they are running an Amazon-customized version of Android, with no access to the Google Play store. There are instructions all over the web for side-loading the Google stuff onto most models, if you find yourself needing something that's not in Amazon's own App Store.

The issue with the device needing to be connected to an Amazon account is still there, the same as a Google account on a Chromebook. You can't beat the price, though.....
M_Six16551.50
      05-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Amazon tablets are the best deal if you don't mind the lock screen is an advertisement (unless you pay an additional fee to have it removed) They have some ruggedized version and is a lot simpler to navigate than a laptop of any operating system.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614904.50
M_Six16551.50
      05-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I've been considering those as well. Really no need for keyboards in this. And the funds would buy a lot more. But creating a generic Amazon account is more difficult than creating a generic Google account.

-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 05-15-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      05-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

It is a very good thing you are trying to do!
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614904.50