BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #133
adamjs83
Private First Class
adamjs83's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
It's very nice that you can display the maps from Android Auto to the HUD or the tach screen. Nicely done. I wonder if CarPlay can do the same?
That would be really nice.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #134
phillydilles
Enlisted Member
phillydilles's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
It's very nice that you can display the maps from Android Auto to the HUD or the tach screen. Nicely done. I wonder if CarPlay can do the same?
Apple has extended the software support for it already, but BMW hasn't reciprocated just yet. Hopefully soon!
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #135
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
The Automotive Enthusiast's Avatar
United_States
2541
Rep
3,410
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

To put the ongoing debate of iOS vs Android to bed, it really come down to different tastes. I personally prefer the security stance of Apple and the fact that their phones just work and sync seamlessly with my Mac and my Apple Watch. It's fantastic. Why do people think the less fortunate people own Android devices? Because Android is the only manufacturer between the two that plays ball in the lower price range. Not everyone has $500 to spend on a phone. I also don't care for themes or personalizing color scheme and all that. I just want my phone to work.

I personally use Apple but use a Note 10+ for work and while great, it's clunky and nothing seems to be as smooth or as well thought out. So, where does that leave us? Taste. Now, can we stop arguing about why your personal choice is better? If everyone had the same taste, the world would be a VERY boring place to live in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #136
Mason Hatcher
Second Lieutenant
United_States
291
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: FW-TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
To put the ongoing debate of iOS vs Android to bed, it really come down to different tastes. I personally prefer the security stance of Apple and the fact that their phones just work and sync seamlessly with my Mac and my Apple Watch.
It is interesting to read that, my Android "just works" and syncs seamlessly with my Samsung Watch and my laptop.
Appreciate 2
A6bullet272.00

      06-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #137
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
The Automotive Enthusiast's Avatar
United_States
2541
Rep
3,410
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
It is interesting to read that, my Android "just works" and syncs seamlessly with my Samsung Watch and my laptop.
That's fantastic news. Historically, that hasn't been the case. Fantastic that Samsung has stepped up to the plate. Competition can only lead to innovation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #138
velvet_F82
Freude am Fahren
velvet_F82's Avatar
No_Country
902
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: S4

iTrader: (0)

Great. Now bring it to ID6 and it'll actually be worth a damn.
__________________
2020 BMW M4 Edition ///M Heritage
6MT, ZCP, Velvet Blue, H&R VTF, 15mm spacers

Past: 2019 M2 Competition DCT, 2018 Camaro SS, 2018 M140i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #139
ElectroGeek
Private First Class
United_States
54
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: X5 G05 50i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherNiko View Post
Great. Now bring it to ID6 and it'll actually be worth a damn.
there's aftermarket modules that will integrated Android auto and Car Play into older BMW.. Google it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #140
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1875
Rep
2,447
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
That's fantastic! With the integration of the dashboard and HUD, I wonder if it will be possible for someone to write an app which will being back a classic analog BMW dashboard. Pretty much the only real issue I have with the G series cars.
Highly unlikely. The API probably only allows simple graphics or even just turn by turn directions to be sent across to the dashboard. And the graphics would likely only be limited to the small central section of the gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #141
AUSf22
Major
Australia
504
Rep
1,190
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C HS
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if Android Auto will be applicable for iDrive6?

The integration seems pretty neat !
__________________
2020 M2 Competition in Hockenheim Silver | 437M Wheels | M Performance Rear Spoiler
14' 228i M-Sport | M235i MP Exhaust | M Performance Grilles | ST-X Coilovers | BM3 Stage 1 (Sold)
2011 e92 N52 | Space Grey | Eisenmann Exhaust | H&R Springs | M Performance Grilles | Stage 1 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #142
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
zamboni's Avatar
United_States
638
Rep
4,902
Posts

Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Anyone compare the audio level Android vs. Carplay? The Carplay audio seem to be low level.
__________________
18 F80 Imola Red 6MT
16 K71 F800GT Montego Blue
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #143
RSnic
Captain
RSnic's Avatar
United_States
280
Rep
877
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Well, I sure hope that the 07/2020 software update includes Android Auto -- even if I have argue for update with dealer!

Reviewing BMW video, seems like apps on phone can be used through iDrive -- so my 2020 BMW will FINALLY be capable of doing what my 2014 could -- display & read aloud both text & Email!

Here's hoping on both counts!
__________________
Al

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #144
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
583
Rep
3,395
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Does anyone know if Android Auto will be applicable for iDrive6?

The integration seems pretty neat !
No factory AA integration for ID6 cars.
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #145
antzcrashing
Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
United_States
741
Rep
2,210
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I'm sure the functionality is great, but android UI is just so bland. Carplay looks great
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #146
Mason Hatcher
Second Lieutenant
United_States
291
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: FW-TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
That's fantastic news. Historically, that hasn't been the case. Fantastic that Samsung has stepped up to the plate. Competition can only lead to innovation.
I have had android since the first ones, they've always "just worked".
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #147
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
206
Rep
450
Posts

Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

This will be a very nice addition, I can finally be pleased about something new from BMW haha. Looks nicely integrated to the cars other systems, dare I say it the wait may well have been worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:11 AM   #148
player1986
New Member
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW X35
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

i think CarPlay / Android Auto have nothing to do with in car anything
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #149
RSnic
Captain
RSnic's Avatar
United_States
280
Rep
877
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Anybody know when software version 07/2020 is to available at dealers? Also, will enable Android Auto?

Thanks
__________________
Al

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #150
R_lara
First Lieutenant
R_lara's Avatar
Dominican Republic
67
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Looks like it's finally coming next year.
So basically it still screws over those of us that have new BMW's. By the sounds of it, my 2020 M2C won't get AA. Boooooo

Fairly certain AA is MUCH easier to integrate than AC, as the latter requires some extra hardware, if I remember correctly.
Get Bimmetch Prime nothing in this video is new to me i already run it in my 2016 F30 335I
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #151
JustinHEMI
Private First Class
JustinHEMI's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Comp
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
Get Bimmetch Prime nothing in this video is new to me i already run it in my 2016 F30 335I
Won't work on 2020 M2Cs according to my discussion with Bimmertech.


Convo,

Me: "Do you know when, if ever, you'll have a module for the 2020 M2C?

BT: "Unfortunately we do not know yet, it will not be anytime soon."

Me: "Gotcha, thanks! Did BMW do something that makes it more difficult or something?"

BT: "Yes different hardware which makes it more difficult to create a kit."




This is, so far, my only disappointment with the M2C, albeit minor. It didn't occur to me that in 2020, it would be possible for a car to NOT have AA, so I didn't really look into that aspect when buying my car. It wouldn't have made a change in decision at all, but would have been something to note. Then I saw that there's after market solutions, until there wasn't. So not only does BMW not have AA, but they've made hardware changes to a 2020 model that negates the current aftermarket solution while not offering a factory solution.

What could they have possibly changed and why, if they're going to force me to be stuck on iDrive 6 without AA?

Frustrating, but also a minor annoyance. It's just weird to me that this isn't standard on every vehicle at this point. Or, at least in the case of my 2020 M2C that apparently has different hardware, backfittable.
__________________
2020 BMW M2 Comp, exec, manual, moon roof. Add ons; M performance steering wheel with Ind red M buttons, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, tinted windows, Blendmount V1G2, RW Carbon rear spoiler. Coming: RW Carbon front lip.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #152
mbanck
First Lieutenant
217
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: Skoda Karoq
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Wireless Android Auto wasn't possible until recently I think, so I guess BMW didn't want to have to different tethering solutions (one wireless, one wired), and opted not the support Android Auto until AA got to the point where they were satisfied with the user experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #153
LogicalApex
Captain
324
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Won't work on 2020 M2Cs according to my discussion with Bimmertech.


Convo,

Me: "Do you know when, if ever, you'll have a module for the 2020 M2C?

BT: "Unfortunately we do not know yet, it will not be anytime soon."

Me: "Gotcha, thanks! Did BMW do something that makes it more difficult or something?"

BT: "Yes different hardware which makes it more difficult to create a kit."




This is, so far, my only disappointment with the M2C, albeit minor. It didn't occur to me that in 2020, it would be possible for a car to NOT have AA, so I didn't really look into that aspect when buying my car. It wouldn't have made a change in decision at all, but would have been something to note. Then I saw that there's after market solutions, until there wasn't. So not only does BMW not have AA, but they've made hardware changes to a 2020 model that negates the current aftermarket solution while not offering a factory solution.

What could they have possibly changed and why, if they're going to force me to be stuck on iDrive 6 without AA?

Frustrating, but also a minor annoyance. It's just weird to me that this isn't standard on every vehicle at this point. Or, at least in the case of my 2020 M2C that apparently has different hardware, backfittable.
The M2C wasn't upgraded to iDrive 7 for MY2020 so it is unlikely to get AA as they only mention it for iDrive 7 cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #154
JustinHEMI
Private First Class
JustinHEMI's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Comp
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The M2C wasn't upgraded to iDrive 7 for MY2020 so it is unlikely to get AA as they only mention it for iDrive 7 cars.
Right, which is part of my frustration noted above. They changed the hardware so I can't use the aftermarket solution, but I'm stuck on ID6. Why? Why change the hardware?
__________________
2020 BMW M2 Comp, exec, manual, moon roof. Add ons; M performance steering wheel with Ind red M buttons, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, tinted windows, Blendmount V1G2, RW Carbon rear spoiler. Coming: RW Carbon front lip.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST