04-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #881
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Man you have one of the best lawns I’ve ever seen. Every time you post I’m like, damn look at this bitch.
haha thanks brother!!! i enjoy lawn work at least when i'm not working on the BMW
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #882
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
ok, yard experts, what kind of weed is this and how do I get rid of it? Applied Spectracide Weed Stop to no effect, and it's happily spreading everywhere.
That's mouse ear chickweed. Get something stronger, T-Zone is what I would recommend. Just be careful not to overlap when you spray and do it in the morning with no rain for 24 hours. Don't use any surfactant. Stuff is easy to cause turf burn but is one of the best lawn chems right now and is super cheap. Also don't cut the lawn 2 days before or after spraying. Little bit stronger nitrogen will help with it too. Just whatever you do don't pull it, that causes it to spread pretty quick. Another thing to remember is that it can take up to 3 weeks to see any major difference depending on the chem used.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #883
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

What does everyone recommend for spring grub treatment for the lawn? Come fall I don’t want the raccoons tearing up the backyard again like they did 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #884
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
What does everyone recommend for spring grub treatment for the lawn? Come fall I don’t want the raccoons tearing up the backyard again like they did 2 years ago.

The raccoons are most likely going after earthworms. Like I tell my customers, earth worms are their meal and grubs are just the occasional treat. A lot of times grub control isn't needed, you can check with your counties extension office if it's a bad year. I've moved away from those treatments due to the type of chems used, unless it's a bad year. Studies have found the chemicals can last in the soil for over 10 years and are linked as one of the causes of colony collapse in bee hives.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #885
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
ok, yard experts, what kind of weed is this and how do I get rid of it? Applied Spectracide Weed Stop to no effect, and it's happily spreading everywhere.
Quick search came up with the name ‘chickweed’.
http://abateaweed.com/weedspage/
More search done and found out this stuff is edible and high in calcium, magnesium and Vitamin B complex amongst other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #886
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Funny you may ask, I researched ‘non-toxic grub killer’ and came up with Nematodes: natural method of getting rid of those suckers without harming the environment. But, whoever selling this stuff must keep them refrigerated otherwise it’s useless. Look-up some videos on this stuff. I ordered mine from Amazon. Will report result when I apply it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #887
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ I hope you don't have any nopales, the nematodes will create that white "plague" on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #888
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Funny you may ask, I researched ‘non-toxic grub killer’ and came up with Nematodes: natural method of getting rid of those suckers without harming the environment. But, whoever selling this stuff must keep them refrigerated otherwise it’s useless. Look-up some videos on this stuff. I ordered mine from Amazon. Will report result when I apply it.
Forgot about nematodes, thanks! Ordered some that should be here next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #889
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If it's not raining tomorrow gonna spray down my first app of RGS/HUMIC12. Oh, my neighbor sprayed down some Tenacity using a dye marker and he sprayed his sidewalks and driveway I chuckle every time I pull from my driveway
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #890
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ I hope you don't have any nopales, the nematodes will create that white "plague" on them.
Nope, no nopales here even though I like cactus pears in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #891
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Ripped out about a dozen shrubs and bushes, cut a new edge, and mulched the two beds up front after trimming back the remaining bushes. First time using Scotts mulch, but I gotta say I’m not too pleased. Put out, I think, 27 1.5 cu ft bags after some back breaking work. All bags were the red and some looks great and some looks pretty meh and some just looks black. Is this normal? Some were wet so I just figured it would dry out and be red. Looking at it today after finishing it yesterday, doesn’t look to be the case. What say you Scotts users?

My other larger bed was done with Vigoro. It started to fade quickly and is why I wanted to try upgrading to Scotts. Vigoro is stuck at a faded, but acceptable red. Scotts just looks like hell a day later. Will this start to blend?
Attached Images

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 04-29-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #892
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I use Scott’s Florida Select Natural Mulch and like it. I prefer 100% Eucalyptus mulch over citrus / Eucalyptus blend but it is getting more difficult to find.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-F...2965/302688491

I prefer a natural color but I used to use red mulch and color can vary based on water content. Gets very dark when wet and very red when dry (until it fades.)
      04-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #893
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I would call Scotts or look online to see if thats normal.

However, you did an amazing job! It looks great!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #894
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Got the trees trimmed up today
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #895
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapakanichi View Post
I would call Scotts or look online to see if thats normal.

However, you did an amazing job! It looks great!
Scotts must be getting blasted with everyone doing their essential yard work. I hung up after being on hold for so long and tried their texting option with no response. I'm hoping after it sees some sun for some days that it will start to blend better. If not, I'm going to have to go buy the Vigoro stuff I have on the other side of the house for a "top dressing." Thanks for the comment! It was some hard work pulling up so many shrubs and bushes AND about 5 or so inches of pine straw from the previous owners. It was a nightmare with no maintenance. Really happy with how the edging turned out, though.

In looking at the second picture I posted, I think I want to plant a citrus tree in that open area to the right of the front door. I'd classify that spot as partial sun with the house blocking it in the mornings (front of the house faces due north) and decent sun in the afternoons. We're in a 8b zone for what it's worth. I'd really like a it to mature around 12 feet in height at the max. I was thinking a blood orange would be pretty cool and seem to be keen to partial sun. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations (that's not a lemon tree)?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #896
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Smile

Fresh trip from the Nursery! Let there be FLOWERS...

05-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #897
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Okay guys, I need help on something and don’t wanna start a new thread. HOW THE F DO I GET RID OF FOXTAILS??? It’s all over the front yard and backyard. Have dogs so want them to be safe. I’ve heard vinegar works? Mowed and cut everything down 2 weeks ago and now they’re coming back strong. What’s the safest and best way to kill those SOBs?!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #898
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Okay guys, I need help on something and don’t wanna start a new thread. HOW THE F DO I GET RID OF FOXTAILS??? It’s all over the front yard and backyard. Have dogs so want them to be safe. I’ve heard vinegar works? Mowed and cut everything down 2 weeks ago and now they’re coming back strong. What’s the safest and best way to kill those SOBs?!
Weed by hand until all of them growing from current seeds in the ground are gone. Or round-up. Not a fan of chemicals, so I’d weed em out.

Foxtails are a grass so any grass-safe weed killers aren’t going to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:11 AM   #899
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weed by hand until all of them growing from current seeds in the ground are gone. Or round-up. Not a fan of chemicals, so I’d weed em out.

Foxtails are a grass so any grass-safe weed killers aren’t going to do the job.
Fck! Was afraid of that. That stuff is a pain in the ass man. I don’t mind it but don’t want it getting stuck in my dogs’ fur and maybe get in their nose and mouth, that’s the nasty part. There’s so much so gonna be some work for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:34 AM   #900
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So this freakin rabbit has been causing havoc in my flower beds. He completely destroyed a bed of tulips and he loves kicking the shit out of my mulch and into my lawn. I cleaned everything up bit every morning it's the same shit. Soooooo I actually trapped his ass! He ran off and I saw him crawl right into my garden reel hose box. There's a small gap at the bottom for him to squeeze into. So I was actually able to move the box to where the gap is gone so now he is trapped in there. I opened the top and he's clearly hiding in the corner. So he cannot get out. What would you guys do? Leave him to die? Call a pest control? let him free where he'll do the same shit again? Put my cat in there?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #901
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ I don’t like killing things so if you can trap him and take him out into the wild that’d be good. Or if animal control can do that it’d be nice. Don’t call AC if they’re gonna kill it.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-03-2020, 12:56 AM   #902
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
^ I don’t like killing things so if you can trap him and take him out into the wild that’d be good. Or if animal control can do that it’d be nice. Don’t call AC if they’re gonna kill it.
This. There’s likely groups that will come take it and move to a more remote location. That said, they multiply like, well, rabbits so it’s also not the end of the world if it’s euthanized humanely either. We have two in our yard but so far no havoc with the plants.
Appreciate 1