BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #133
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
104
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Thanks for the input Bobble...Im going to shop around, i dont have many BBQ outlet stores in my area but i know of two that ill be going to this weekend. And regarding your brother in law, he should definitely invest in a cover and also clean the grill regularly
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #134
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
111
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
That's awesome!

What sous vide apparatus are you using?
I have the Anova One. I use it every chance I get. Currently braising some pork belly on hour 30 out of 72. Comes out like jelly.

Here is a cowboy ribeye I made this past weekend.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #135
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9940
Rep
8,472
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

^Quit it already, my stomach noise is annoying my co-workers
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #136
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
608
Rep
2,508
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving

You may also want to consider the Weber Genesis grills. They are the version below the Summit and are also available in stainless.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #137
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
593
Rep
3,561
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
Two ribeyes I recently made. Sous vide at 128* for an hour then seared with a torch. Medium rare in the middle with minimal gray band.



I am going to eat my monitor
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #138
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
I have the Anova One. I use it every chance I get. Currently braising some pork belly on hour 30 out of 72. Comes out like jelly.

Here is a cowboy ribeye I made this past weekend.
Nice! I actually just picked up a vacuum sealer and I've been eying an Anova to buy soon. Which model Anova do you have and what are you using for the bath?

I was looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/...I2GNH0MMMEKZ6X

and this cambro tub for the bath:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E/...R665BFEM&psc=1
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #139
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
5118
Rep
4,078
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving

You may also want to consider the Weber Genesis grills. They are the version below the Summit and are also available in stainless.
My Weber Genesis Gold has treated me well since 2002.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #140
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
540
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Random craving...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #141
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
540
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Dry brining it, so much moister coming out.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #142
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
540
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Well I weight at least 1.5 pounds more now lol
Attached Images
  
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #143
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9940
Rep
8,472
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I ended up grabbing some rib eyes from trader joes. Not as large as most have posted, but going to try that reverse sear tomorrow night
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #144
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
111
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^Quit it already, my stomach noise is annoying my co-workers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I am going to eat my monitor


Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Nice! I actually just picked up a vacuum sealer and I've been eying an Anova to buy soon. Which model Anova do you have and what are you using for the bath?

I was looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/...I2GNH0MMMEKZ6X

and this cambro tub for the bath:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E/...R665BFEM&psc=1
I have the Anova One, which is the original and it is operated by the touchscreen. The Anova Precision Cooker you linked is the newer version and it is operated by your smart phone via bluetooth connection. Other notable differences are the heating element and circulating fan on the newer version are actually inferior to the original (1,000 vs 800 watt and 12 vs 8 liters/minute). Neither of these specs are important if you don't plan to cook for a dozen guests. I have cooked steak dinners for a dozen guests in a large cooler and my Anova One was struggling to keep up.

I have the same tub you linked, with the matching lid, which is especially useful if you plan to frequently cook for 72 hours to minimize water loss. The pork belly should be done tomorrow morning.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:27 AM   #145
Kortho
Private
Kortho's Avatar
72
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 16' SO F80
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

So this was my first attempt with a salt block and it was delicious
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #146
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post




I have the Anova One, which is the original and it is operated by the touchscreen. The Anova Precision Cooker you linked is the newer version and it is operated by your smart phone via bluetooth connection. Other notable differences are the heating element and circulating fan on the newer version are actually inferior to the original (1,000 vs 800 watt and 12 vs 8 liters/minute). Neither of these specs are important if you don't plan to cook for a dozen guests. I have cooked steak dinners for a dozen guests in a large cooler and my Anova One was struggling to keep up.

I have the same tub you linked, with the matching lid, which is especially useful if you plan to frequently cook for 72 hours to minimize water loss. The pork belly should be done tomorrow morning.
sweet. I ended up buying the precision one I linked and the cambro. didnt get a cover but I will probably end up getting it though.
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #147
j_marinelli
Private First Class
464
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Branch, TX.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortho View Post
So this was my first attempt with a salt block and it was delicious
Been dying to try that with some steelhead trout.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #148
Kortho
Private
Kortho's Avatar
72
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 16' SO F80
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post
Been dying to try that with some steelhead trout.
The flavor that imparted onto the salmon was amazing. Heated the egg and stone to 400, while everything was heating up and put a small amount of olive oil on the fish, then a few drops of lemon juice with pepper and rosemary. Cooked on the flesh side for 4 minutes then on the skin side for about 25 minutes.

The final product had a very slight crispy exterior with a moist flavorful interior.

What I'm really trying to say is I highly recommend trying the salt block out.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #149
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
540
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

..
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #150
NEFARIOUS
Captain
NEFARIOUS's Avatar
United_States
408
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baconville, BN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via ICQ to NEFARIOUS Send a message via AIM to NEFARIOUS Send a message via Yahoo to NEFARIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchie View Post
It's a Reverse Sear
Until I Googled what you said, I had no idea there was such a word for what I usually liked to do when I'm barbecuing, except my method is a bit different from what the interwebz describe... Since I noticed the taste of the meats were MUCH better when it flared up, I would cook it as normal, then turn the heat all the way up (gas) and/or lower the grilling rack (coal) until it flares up for a minute, then rest it a bit and serve. Here I was thinking I was so damned creative
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
NEFARIOUS would totally rock the dreads if he could.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #151
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
So I tried my hand, well hands off kinda, with sous vide with the Anova Precision Cooker and some top sirloins I had. Here's the outcome with 45min in the bath and searing on a pan
Attached Images
 
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #152
TXSTYLE
My Actions > Your Words
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
6279
Rep
3,152
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

I know I may be in the huge minority here, but I can and will only tolerate a slight pink line on my steaks. Can't do the rare thing at all. And before you go all Gordon Ramsay on me, just know that "taste is VERY subjective". For me, a more thorough cooking suits my taste buds.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #153
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9940
Rep
8,472
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

^ Where's that "Order chicken" gif???

I grew up in a household where mom wanted it done "chicken" and dad wanted it room temperature. I followed mom until I was about 35, then had a nice medium-rare and haven't cooked it that much since. Luckily for my son, both mom and dad did it at about 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #154
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
104
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ Where's that "Order chicken" gif???

I grew up in a household where mom wanted it done "chicken" and dad wanted it room temperature. I followed mom until I was about 35, then had a nice medium-rare and haven't cooked it that much since. Luckily for my son, both mom and dad did it at about 135.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST